IGNORED

Itunes: Do you let it sort your files or not?

blownsi

That's what I meant by "file management"; moving/ renaming/ restructuring the media folders/song files in response to UI Modifications without the user having to go anywhere near an Explorer or Finder window.....
When I said "file management" I meant a way to manage files.

iTunes organizes your files however it wants, it doesn't let you manage things at all.

Even if you wanted it moving your files around automatically, you have no say in what that file structure looks like.

.???

On my iTunes installation I have the "keep organized" checkbox set. When I (for example) rename a song title iTunes changes the media filename fir me. When I (for example) rename an Artist or group 2 "discs" from a double album together iTunes changes the media folder name, merges media song files into the same artist/ album folder etc.

That's what I meant by "file management"; moving/ renaming/ restructuring the media folders/song files in response to UI Modifications without the user having to go anywhere near an Explorer or Finder window.....

+1

you have no say in what that file structure looks like.

Of course you do, once you figure out how it works, and how to control the structure, it actually makes it easier to manage your files.

I do so with a hierarchical set of playlists by genre and subgenres. I can interact directly with the file system if want, but rarely need it.

Oops..was wondering if modifying files metadata via dbpoweramp on Win7 (outside of the Mac iTunes enviro) in this manner will cause issues:

- copy the said folder to my Win7 wkst and update the data

- delete the files from within iTunes on Mac opting with the "delete files as well"

- copy folder back to iTunes "vault"

- on iTunes from Mac perform "add file to library" and browse to folder to add it back again

Is that overkill or could I directly update the metadata in the iTunes vault from my Win7 wkst + dbpoweramp with iTunes on Mac not open / active? Hope that makes sense.

My rig

If Itunes gets it's metadata from Gracenote just how hard is it to update Gracenote and does that process also fix your local tags or must the data be entered twice (locally in itunes and globally in Gracenote so the next person doesn't face the same data)?

I don't believe anyone has replied to this one, but you cannot update Gracenote, which is an outside service that iTunes gets metadata (tag data) from.

Now once in a while, for reasons unknown, iTunes/Gracenote asks if I'd like to send that CD's data to Gracenote, and I tend to answer yes, to hopefully help the next person.

But I simply use Gracenote's data as a starting point, sometimes more accurate than other times, but still useful. But all data is entered only once, in iTunes, either by accepting the Gracenote data, tweaking it, or changing it entirely -- as needed or desired.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++