IGNORED

too simple?

I don't think the first part is possible as information like album name, artist name, and song names are not part of the information that on a standard Redbook CD.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I don't think the first part is possible as information like album name, artist name, and song names are not part of the information that on a standard Redbook CD.

IIRC, Some earlier CDs did have this, and it can be done with your own created CDs too. (or used to be able to)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

i can't build a music library on a PC with CD's in my possession without the internet?

grasping the concept i'm not.....

just want to go in my cave with my pile, feed them all in and play them back with somebody's music player software into my dac, not that simple? cave is defined as no web access.

i can't build a music library on a PC with CD's in my possession without the internet?

grasping the concept i'm not.....

just want to go in my cave with my pile, feed them all in and play them back with somebody's music player software into my dac, not that simple? cave is defined as no web access.

You can rip CDs to a PC without an internet connection - but without an internet connection it is going to be very difficult to get the track titles and artist, etc. automatically.

It may be possible to set up a FreeDB proxy (you at least used to be able to manually download the current database) ... but this is unlikely to be a simple task. Alternatively there have been appliance devices which will rip CDs and check it against an internal database.

Neither are anywhere near as versatile as having a proper internet connection for lookups.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

If the cd that you rip contains cd-text then it is possible.

Even if the cd contains no cd-text it can be possible using the freedb local file. Ofcourse, cd's produced after the creation of the freedb local file will not be recognized, so you will need to update the file from time to time.

I have had the idea of adding this option to my application, but never really had the need for it. My idea was to make an ARM box to read music from the NAS, but also rip CDs to the NAS.

Greetz,

Zittergie

Doesn't iTunes use the Internet to look up tracks and such?

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Doesn't iTunes use the Internet to look up tracks and such?

Yes, itunes uses gracenote thru the internet for this task. I would say unless there is a way to put a database on the local PC then an internet connection is necessary unless the OP wants to manually enter all data.