IGNORED

Why hasn't Blu-Ray audio for Hirez caught on?

Hi Lighthouse,

...I believe the reason the most of CD players sound bad is because of outdated clocking circuit and components. Clocks have been progressed rapidly in recent 10 years, and the most of CD players still use obsolete ones as far as I concern.

I believe there are many reasons, not just one, and that the primary reasons have to do with the realities of getting the information off a disc in real time. The player (or transport - which incidentally, might be connected to a state of the art, modern DAC with the best clocking and components) needs to keep the disc spinning at the correct speed, run the servos to maintain tracking, read the pits, decode the 8:14 modulation, convert this to binary code, perform error correction and convert the digital to analog, all in real time and more often than not, all functions sharing a single power supply.

The wonder to me, is that it works at all, not that it doesn't work superbly. Being able to read the disc multiple times and perform these functions without the need to play the music at the same time, is what I believe makes for better playback (i.e., finally, sounding like the master) when discs are ripped to a computer.

As far as clocks, I still think most have a ways to go, as demonstrated (to my ears) by the fact that many converters spec'd for 4x rates (176.4k and 192k) still don't reveal all the potential of these formats and some even sound *worse* than they do at the easier 2x rates (88.2k and 96k). When properly done, I find the jump from 96k to 192k an appreciably larger one than the jump from 44.1k to 96k. Not that many DACs in my experience, are yet able to reveal this. (I think some of this is likely clocking and some of it is likely analog stage performance at the wider bandwidths.)

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio