IGNORED

Article: The TIDAL HIFI Revolution Starts Today

To those listening to Tidal now:

Would you please tell me whether or not there is there any ECM content (e.g., Keith Jarrett, Tord Gustavsen)?

Thanks,

Boy Howdy

Yes, multiple albums by both. And what appears to be everything done by Leonard Cohen. And Rolling Stones remasters. Dig it, even Radiohead. It appears finicky artists will stream with high audio quality.

• 2 weeks later...
MountainSufi:

I am using Qobuz and they too its ECM content but when you try to play it, it won't work. Would you please try to stream some of the ECM content and see if it actually plays?

Thanks,

Boy Howdy

Sorry for the delay in responding. You're over my head here. Tell me what to search and play via"ECM content" and I'll do my best.

Email me at Mountain Sufi AT gmail etc.

I've been on vaca, and very busy elsewhere.

Now listening to Pink Floyd's new "The Endless River" via high end setup... Avantegarde Uno Nano speakers. Wavelength Audio amp and DAC. Not bragging, but saying it's top drawer shite.

Tidal sound is very good, definitely worth the $20/month over Spotify premium.

BUT, somethings missing. Sounds a bit thin. Bass, lower end, doesn't grab my testicles and shake my soul. Haven't done A/B comparisons with CD's yet.

Bottom line, while Tidal may not be the quintessence of sound (yet), it makes Spotify sound like listening to a Victrola.

Yes, you can. In the desktop application - go to playlist and look in the right column.

Close, but not completely correct.

Don't "go to playlist and look in the right column."

DO go to "My Playlists" and look in the right column.

You then are then given the choice to "import any Spotify playlist to TIDAL"

Only Spotify is currently given this option but I suspect things will change.

I didn't know this option was available until now. Thankx for pointing it out. I'll demo it shortly.

Sorry Spotify, I've got a new lover!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm leaving Tidal. Just cancelled my subscription, which runs through January. I'm a bit torn, but recently retired and $ has become more important to me. I now compare CD, Tidal and Spotify.

SQ of Tidal? Just compared "Almost Like the Blues" from Leonard Cohen's new "Popular Problems".

My CD is minutely better than Tidal (perhaps not). Although more complex orchestral pieces would be interesting to compare, I'm not going to do that audition today. Or "Dark Side of the Moon". I'm recovering from a broken ankle and exhausted.

Tidal? Close to the CD. Amazing when you consider how far the music traveled through gawd knows how many relays and servers.

Spotify Premium? Not even close to Tidal. I can everyday live with this difference as most listening is done uncritically from an adjacent room.

How can some posters here prefer Spotify? My guess is that not all of Tidal's music is truly lossless streaming, even if "HIFI" is lit up.

Bottom line, I'd pony up the extra $ if Tidal had a much larger catalogue of music. I hope to return some day.

Happy Holidays!