IGNORED

Article: The TIDAL HIFI Revolution Starts Today

Please let us know if this works. I've been trying to figure out how to get TIDAL to work with JPlay (Windows 7, one PC, Xtreme mode). I tried the JRiver WDM driver, but I get skips and garbled sound.

The JRiver WDM driver without JPlay seems to work fine, but the sound is not as good as JPlay.

I have Tidal playing now thru JPlay using the JRiver MC 20 WDM driver. I think your problem is trying to use the Xtreme mode of JPlay which is not supported for streaming (only for local playback). In Win 7 try River or Beach. In Win 8 Ultrastream works the best. I have both a Win 7/32 and a Win 8/64 machine and have tested it on both and works great at these settings. Also, make sure that JRiver MC 20 is updated. There were some problems reported with the first build to have the WDM driver. Good luck!!

Hi Chris, Could you please start a new thread for "Tidal Streaming Problems" and use your pull with them to get them to monitor it. I see here that several people (including me) have had streaming issues since the rollout. I have submitted a support request on it but it is not yet resolved. Maybe a thread here would give them a better idea of where the difficulty lies. Thanks, Bob

PS: I suspect that they are overwhelming their server capacity but that is just a guess.

I am very disappointed with the Tidal rollout! It has been a parade of server issues, buggy Windows Desktop App and mostly average to poor audio quality. I have done every test I could. I compared albums in my CD collection, on my hard drive and on Qobuz against the same on Tidal and Tidal is always the poorest sound quality. I really wish they would have waited until they could really get it right and properly scaled up. This is likely to set back lossless streaming for a while if enough people are having the same problems and I suspect that they are from reading the Tidal Streaming issues thread here on CA. I don't think that their conversion rate after the free trial period will be very high if they don't fix this fast and be very upfront with people about what the problem is and what they are doing to resolve it. Unfortunately they proving the naysayers right and that is very sad indeed.

• 1 month later...

I am sad to say that I just canceled my Tidal subscription. I just don't think they are ready for prime time. I found the Windows Desktop App to be completely unusable. The Chrome Web Player App was better but I had streaming problems at times with it as well. The worst and final straw was the music quality. I lot of what I listened to was not Hi-Fi. It was showing as Hi-Fi but when I would look at the incoming data stream it was not sufficient for lossless CD quality Flac. Even when it really was coming in as CD quality lossless Flac, it many times sounded flat, dull and lifeless to me. Some albums were very good but that was not usually the case. It may be that the music that I wanted to listen to was not provided to Tidal in very good quality to start with but I did not want to pay for hit or miss music quality and put up with the streaming issues. I had such high hopes for this. I really hope they are to get this thing working right so I can come back.