IGNORED

Article: The TIDAL HIFI Revolution Starts Today

I have had a nightmare trying to get Tidal today. They sent me a VIP (30 day trial with cc info) email but when I attempted to re-read the details after registering they told me I am already registered and could then do nothing. They sent me two more emails that were basically "why haven't you finished the process" and I kept trying to tell them via reply emails. Now they have my latest rant (finally got through and they reduced my offer to standard 7 day) in their ticket system. Not impressed so far but they have more issues than me on this first day (nor am I hyped about spending $20/mo but that's me; I have typically used these services for purchase previews so I need to change my approach if I am to justify the $$ ..).

I get a signup page saying enter email and will notify you when tidal comes to your country. I am in US...sounds like they need to iron out the bugs.

Music after life

I'm impressed but not overly ecstatic as I thought I would be! Why? I've now A,B'ed and C'ed content from Tidal, Spotify, and CD using many different setups i.e. Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, iMac, USB, Coaxial, and even Optical...but with every test my CD player outshines them all! Nothing comes close. The spacial and depth differences compared to my CD player are substantial!!!

I can't justify spending an extra $10 a month for a streaming service to only gain...a little improvement. Yes there is an improvement in quality from Spotify at extreme settings and HI-FI on Tidal...but again not worth $10 more a month. I'll save the $10 and buy some more CD's.

Anyone else do any comparisons...Specifically A-B'ing the same content?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts...

System components...McIntosh and PeachTree DACIT.

good to know...I am unable to sign up to tidal as it tells me you are in US and tidal coming soon to your country. Any case i have spotify too and after seeing your comment will stick to spotify for auditions and will continue to buy CDs.

Music after life

• 4 weeks later...
I'm impressed but not overly ecstatic as I thought I would be! Why? I've now A,B'ed and C'ed content from Tidal, Spotify, and CD using many different setups i.e. Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, iMac, USB, Coaxial, and even Optical...but with every test my CD player outshines them all! Nothing comes close. The spacial and depth differences compared to my CD player are substantial!!!

I can't justify spending an extra $10 a month for a streaming service to only gain...a little improvement. Yes there is an improvement in quality from Spotify at extreme settings and HI-FI on Tidal...but again not worth $10 more a month. I'll save the $10 and buy some more CD's.

Anyone else do any comparisons...Specifically A-B'ing the same content?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts...

System components...McIntosh and PeachTree DACIT.

Here is my test

iPhone -> Hugo-> jerry harvey headphones... iTunes wav file sounds far better than Tidal. Not my cup of tea ...cannot go back into poor SQ...have to move forward

Music after life

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, ajay556. When you did the comparison, did you download the tracks to the iPhone first? Or was the test between the wav files and Tidal streaming? I would have hoped the downloaded files to be equal to your own locally resident files.... but perhaps not?

Also for the wav... are you just using iTunes for playback on the iPhone?

Did another test on computer

Amarra-> CD wav file-> hugo->harvey custom headphones

Tidal->hugo->harvey custom headphones

Very close but amarra with CD wav file has tighter bass, wider sound stage, better stereo separation and finally more detailed.

But over all very close. FYI...i decided to keep my subscription as i use it when i am working out.

Music after life

Per the Tidal FAQs, the Hifi (best quality) option is not available in the Tidal computer streaming app.

So if you are expecting Tidal to sound close to a ripped CD or downloaded FLAC file, that is a bit unrealistic. Especially if you are improving the sound of the audio files on your computer with a product like Pure Music.

I have not figured out how to stream from the Tidal computer app and run the file through Pure Music.

I am satisfied running Tidal HiFi files through an iPhone 6 Plus with an external DAC (Resonessence Herus) using Sennheiser 590 headphones or the new Cardas IEMs.

I create playlists by artists and you can add entire albums with a few clicks. Way faster than ripping CDs.

I also have pretty goods results with the iPhone 6+ and Tidal hifi files using Airplay running through Apple TV, Anedio D2 DAC, Spectron Musicians III mk2 amp and EgglestonWorks The Nines speakers with quality cables.

Kent

San Francisco

How is that?..i see the HIFI image when playing music via the Tidal app on my computer.

Music after life