IGNORED

What to expect Konnekt 8

Allen, I think I have it set the way you do. Uzeb, some of what you reference does not apply when using it with a Mac # samples). I'm using iTunes.

One thing I notice is the overall level of the Firewire is much lower than what I get with USB. That's one reason I was wondering if I have it set up correctly.

The Firewire sounds to me like a "bigger pipe" than the USB (bigger soundstage, more open), but it is tonally tilted up and kind of bleached sounding.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Recently ordered a Konnekt 8 only to find out it is no longer manufactured by the vendor. Still deciding whether to try and find somewhere with stock or look for an alternative product. Anyone with other recommendations in similar price bracket? I primarily want it for recording vinyl so good A/D converters and firewire interface for more flexibility

Thanks

Mike

Can you get the Konnekt 24D? Basically an 8 with a few more DSP features and more IO but similar low price. the FocusRite Sapphire has also been mentioned as providing good FireWire to SPDIF interface at reasonable cost. Another option is M-Audio ProFire 610 has pretty much same funtionality at the Konnekt 8 with added bonus of 24/192 support via digial. Not sure of comparisons in sound quality with the two alternatives.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Found a few places with stock still available in UK.

Should I go for Konnekt 8 which is now discontinued but with a seemingly good reputation or the newer M-Audio ProFire 610?? It's one or the other, decisions decisions

Incidentally is the fact that you can't select the input level to either -10dBv or +4dBu (on either device) likely to be an issue given my primary purpose is to record vinyl from my system?

I have previously taken the signal output from the power supply of my preamp as the input to the recording system. The signal strength is controlled through volume knob of preamp?

Thanks

Mike

Properly implemented for audio, Firewire is async, but is not async 'by definition', as it can be used differently (based on the intent of the author of the Firewire drivers).

EDIT: Gordon posted this in the thread about buffers being a panacea:

"Now things going on inside the computer can effect the sound and can have an impact on the Audio Jitter, such as Adaptive USB and Native Audio in

Firewire."

By 'native' Firewire, I think he means when it's implemented in the simplest way possible, which is NOT asynchronous.

This was news to me until recently as well, but.... Firewire is NOT universally asynchronous, and as with all interfaces for digital data, needs to be properly implemented. That said, the seemingly most challenging aspect of Firewire implementation is writing the drivers which support asynchronous handling, as opposed to say, the most difficult aspect of an AES/EBU or S/PDIF DAC likely being the necessary dealing with separate clocks and minimizing their impact on the jitter.

clay

• 2 weeks later...

Before I got the Konnekt 8, I was using a USB solution for digital out and my music library was connected to the Mini via Firewire. With the Konnekt 8, I've left the library drive connected via Firewire and inserted the Konnekt 8 in-between (FW out of the Mini into the K 8, then out to the hard drive). Firewire was designed to work this way and it functions perfectly as far as I can tell. I suppose I should try connecting the hard drive via USB and see if if makes a difference to SQ, but I haven't yet (I'm going back and forth with the USB digital out solution, so this is an easy configuration). Any thoughts anybody?

dan

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm interested in getting a Konnekt 8 pretty soon, primarily for recording. One thing I've noticed on this discussion is that everyone seems to be using it as a Firewire to SPDIF convertor. Has anyone used it simply as a DAC? It's got analogue line outputs so I'd be interested to hear if anyone's actually heard those? For instance, would it compare well to a Musical Fidelity V-Dac?

Cheers,

Matthew

Hi usernaim,

thanks for your comments. If the ADC is good then I'll be happy. I'm looking to digitise my vinyl collection, so if the quality is good going in, then that's half the battle won :-)

I already have trs to phono convertors, so no problem there. If I end up getting one I'll post my thoughts on it.

Matty

I put my rarely used Konnekt 8 into my system last night and confirmed that the DAC is outputting stereo at the 24bit/192kHz sampling rate from my MacBook Pro. The limitation is that the Mixer and DSP is not available in the 192kHz mode or the 176.4 kHz mode. My firmware version is 1.21, build 1184, which I assume by now is pretty old.

• 3 months later...

I've attached a one page pdf that runs through the steps required to get audio from OSX to the konnekt's s/pdif output without using the konnekt's internal mixer. The setup isn't particularly complicated but isn't entirely obvious. Anyway I hope this might be of some use to other konnekt owners.

btw I think there is a small improvement in SQ over routing via the internal mixer.

cheers

Paul

Nice one Paul!

Unfortunately, my K8 needs a service after the dig out phono socket was ripped out by an over-tight rca plug on a Naim DC1 cable (see my other thread). Which serves a a friendly warning to Konnekt owners - the RCA outputs are pretty fragile. Probably extends to other lower priced equipment also. Such a hassle now to get the thing fixed, may not be worth it either!

Cheers

Allen

Thanks guys. It's just one of those things that isn't really obvious at first. I consider myself to pretty well versed with OSX and it didn't dawn on me until after I'd spent hours messing with Soundflower and JackOSX.

Allen,

From the pics posted here it looks like an industrial-grade pcb mount jack. I guess the 8 has something similar. The parts appear to be "through hole" so I'd imagine any half competent tech could replace this in 15 minutes.

cheers

Paul

Thanks for the pic Paul, I have been in contact with Panic Music Services (Cambridge) who are the main service agent for TC and they say they can sort it out, will telephone them tomorrow to see what the costs are. Hopefully, as you suggest, it will be a small replacement job.

Thanks

Allen

• 3 months later...