IGNORED

Is anybody selling HQPlayer/HQ embedded servers?

Sorry this might be off topic but while we are discussing starting a business to support Jussi (Signalyst), another opportunity is the DSC1 DAC and the yet to be released DSC2 DAC.

Jussi provides the board designs for the DAC & associated power supply that can be handed to a PCB manufacturer to be made. This (getting boards made) is actually cheaper & easier than you might think ... I just got a price quote on boards.

Jussi also provides the BOM so parts can be ordered from Digikey, Mouser or the like. There is a guy on diyAudio forum that is in the process of building a DSC1 and has published his BOM including the part numbers & quantities.

Besides the boards & BOM, you need transformers, USB board (Amanero Combo384 USB), case, various connectors & wires. Total price for parts is probably around $500 or so.

This effort would be similar to what Small Green Computers does for Chris' CAPS.

HQPC E5L-UHD-Elite | PC Audio | | iCAT Direct

This thing looks great: but it's near on 3K USD shipped.....

if you put on HQ embedded..you don't need all this expensive server computer hardware .. you can use a cheap linux box as the server and pick up the minimserver library using HQembedded and throw it to the NAA.. ie spend the money on the audiophile gear out at the periphery, and rolling out multiple SOTM's..... and better Dac's etc..

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Sorry this might be off topic but while we are discussing starting a business to support Jussi (Signalyst), another opportunity is the DSC1 DAC and the yet to be released DSC2 DAC.

Jussi provides the board designs for the DAC & associated power supply that can be handed to a PCB manufacturer to be made. This (getting boards made) is actually cheaper & easier than you might think ... I just got a price quote on boards.

Jussi also provides the BOM so parts can be ordered from Digikey, Mouser or the like. There is a guy on diyAudio forum that is in the process of building a DSC1 and has published his BOM including the part numbers & quantities.

Besides the boards & BOM, you need transformers, USB board (Amanero Combo384 USB), case, various connectors & wires. Total price for parts is probably around $500 or so.

This effort would be similar to what Small Green Computers does for Chris' CAPS.

Eric, what I don't get is the "full support of HQplayer bit" for this board..

Does this mean it becomes a NAA?? ie it will receive HQplayer streams? Or what..

This is the thing about HQplayer.. Jussi is clearly onto something here.. it's just putting the concept all together in a cheap easy to use multiroom package for the average consumer that will sell which gets my head in.. Sorry.. I know I'm daft.. I can sort of follow.. I have an idea where this thing should be heading, but I can't join up all the pieces LOL!

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Why not approach Small Green Computers?

Sure. That's a darn good idea.. :)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/omg-spotify-connect-22153/

Over on this thread I've started a discussion on Spotify Connect. Lets leave this separate.. but I think NAD/Bluesound are onto something here..

Spotify Connect becomes the "go to" for all the basic daily music library streaming stuff. You use it for like 90% of your listening in non critical rooms.. to non critical gear..

But if you add Spotify Connect to your hiend streamer.. listeners can *easily* throw to Spotify connect when they are in that room (if they want)

The customer uses this for basic listening, then something like an NAA capable device within the same streamer/piece of gear for the DSD/good stuff..

I mean if Jesus added Spotify connect to that MiniServer of his.. NOW THAT would be extremely exciting !!!! (P.S I'll ask him)

This is the thing about HQplayer.. Jussi is clearly onto something here.. it's just putting the concept all together in a cheap easy to use multiroom package for the average consumer that will sell which gets my head in.

I hear you but Jussi has made it fairly clear that he does NOT want to be in the hardware business and honestly, I can't blame him. Secondly, he only wants to support the DIY market vs the average consumer.

That said, all of pieces are out there if some enterprising person wants to take this on. Basically, for an entire system, you would need:

1) Server (linux, windows, mac) pre-installed with HQ Player.

2) NAA (Cubox-i, etc.) with the appropriate HQ Player software piece ... Jussi already makes available a version for Cubox-i, just download to a SD Card and plug into Cubox-i. There can be multiple NAA boxes for each AV room in your house.

3) DSC1 DAC (optional)

Actually 2) & 3) could be in the same box (I think).

1) & 2) are connected to home network (ethernet).

Sorry if this is not totally correct but it is my understanding.

Sure..but once the "server" runs HQ "embedded".. you don't need all the "server" bits.. all the high end audio stuff and SSD within the server box..etc etc.. because HQ embedded just links in and connects up the music library off a NAS...

..then passes it onto the NAA...

Got it?

That's why actually an HQembedded app say within the QNAP app store is an even a better idea!!!

http://www.qnap.com/i/en/app_center/index.php?middle_place=1&type_choose=Entertainment

...see how Minimserver appears here..

..if Jussi could write a HQplayer/HQembedded app like this for the QNAP..

now *that* would be sweet!!!

Just ONE device running (the NAS) to serve up the library onto the NAA....

..or maybe even straight to his DAC board...?

In other words.. a "Signalyst" customer.. ie someone who would just luv to stream DSD quality around their house would simply just have to buy a powerful enough QNAP.. load on the MinimServer app (where the DSD files and all their other lower quality files would reside.. tag them as such (on quality) within MinimServer.. then load on the HQplayer embedded app on the Qnap.. then buy a few SOTM Miniservers and plug em into their DACS.. or put together a few HQdac boards?? ...get a piece of Control point software and "presto".. (all in theory at this stage of course)

As far as i know HQ work best by itself, can someone correct me if this is not correct.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

Just thinking aloud ... but has anyone tried running HQ Player on a touch-screen all-in-one, which then connects to the NAA via Ethernet?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 3 months later...

A lot of the Synology and QNAP devices do have sufficient cpu power. Synology has a huge app environment to download and use apps with great ease, no IT knowledge necessary. I think for several audio manu's there is an opportunity to make their software available there. I'm playing with minimserver these days a bit to see what the deal there is.

• 11 months later...
A lot of the Synology and QNAP devices do have sufficient cpu power. Synology has a huge app environment to download and use apps with great ease, no IT knowledge necessary. I think for several audio manu's there is an opportunity to make their software available there. I'm playing with minimserver these days a bit to see what the deal there is.

I just saw this today after asking if HQPlayer could run on a QNAP NAS a few weeks ago in the HQPlayer/NAA thread... Very interesting stuff, - and hopefully it will happen.

• 6 months later...

No way I would use a NAS to run HQPlayer. Upsampling to DSD512 (for example) requires a hefty cpu and good motherboard/power, etc. Unless I built my own NAS (I own a Synology) I would keep HQPlayer away from a NAS. It's like asking a pickup truck to also do 200mph top speed.

It's like asking a pickup truck to also do 200mph top speed.

Now *there's* a neglected market segment waiting for someone to take advantage of it!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.