IGNORED

Vivaldi's Four Seasons in DSD

This is the only one I've seen so far:

https://fonerecords.nativedsd.com/albums/le-quattro-stagioni

Musically, it's not my cup of tea actually, there are many better recordings of the four seasons out there to my ears. I need a bit more energy than this.

But personally I'd anyhow always go music first, format second.

This is the only one I've seen so far:

https://fonerecords.nativedsd.com/albums/le-quattro-stagioni

Musically, it's not my cup of tea actually, there are many better recordings of the four seasons out there to my ears. I need a bit more energy than this.

But personally I'd anyhow always go music first, format second.

Thank you for the recommendation.

I agree, based on a brief listen it appears a bit bland. Although, I think I prefer this piece played quite conservatively. Two other recordings of it featuring Itzhak Perlman and Felix Ayo respectively I do particularly enjoy. I would wish to have them in DSD, but just converting PCM into DSD does not add to the magic.

Thank you for the recommendation.

I agree, based on a brief listen it appears a bit bland. Although, I think I prefer this piece played quite conservatively. Two other recordings of it featuring Itzhak Perlman and Felix Ayo respectively I do particularly enjoy. I would wish to have them in DSD, but just converting PCM into DSD does not add to the magic.

My favorite for a long time has been the BIS recording with the Drottningholm Baroque. For hi res, the Avison Ensemble does a nice job.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I know Janine Jansen's version of the Four Seasons is available as SACD, don't know if it was recorded that way though, or if it is downloadable as DSD..

Anyway, it's a riveting performance, mainly due to the use of only one player per part. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it made me like these far-too-often-heard tunes again.

I know Janine Jansen's version of the Four Seasons is available as SACD, don't know if it was recorded that way though, or if it is downloadable as DSD..

Anyway, it's a riveting performance, mainly due to the use of only one player per part. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it made me like these far-too-often-heard tunes again.

Yes, thanks, I'm sure it is. I'm however a detail freak and find the fiddle play a tad sloppy. For sure an excellent recording, maybe just not my all time favourite.

• 2 months later...

Bringing a zombie back to life: it's not in DSD, but it's in very good 96/24 on HD Tracks and the performance is fantastic, very spirited and lively but not overly melodramatic.

Anne Akiko Meyers

anne.jpg

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

I recommend that ARTS recording, it is native 24/96. They offer a (converted) SACD version, too.

I first bought the disc, later I downloaded the PCM version, because the download was not available for a long time.

Great recording!

I have 23 versions of the '4 seasons', and this one is most played by me. :)

http://www.artsmusic.de/Il_Cimento_dell_Armonia_e_dell_Inventione_opVIII_-_Vol1/topic/blueline/shop_art_id/206/tpl/artsmusic_article_detail

ImageUploadedByComputer Audiophile1420310922.104746.jpg

Thanks for the link, but I hesitated when I read this:

The following download formats are available: FLAC, MP3, WAV, WMA.

The highest resolution of digital downloads is 16 bit (also if the recording is available in 24 bit as physical cd in the shop)

The link is the link to the ARTS label and you should see it as a description of the recording only. I downloaded the 24/96 at linnrecords. But I searched for this particular album now and could not find any of these great ARTS discs. :(

At the moment I have no idea where to get it. You could get the SACD, but you don't want to, I think :)

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the link, but I hesitated when I read this:

The following download formats are available: FLAC, MP3, WAV, WMA.

The highest resolution of digital downloads is 16 bit (also if the recording is available in 24 bit as physical cd in the shop)

By the way I found a 24/96 version from here. I just bought it and it sounds great :)

Antonio Vivaldi: Il Cimento dell 'Armonia e dell 'Inventione op. VIII - Vol. 1

I recommend that ARTS recording, it is native 24/96. They offer a (converted) SACD version, too.

I first bought the disc, later I downloaded the PCM version, because the download was not available for a long time.

Great recording!

I have 23 versions of the '4 seasons', and this one is most played by me. :)

Antonio Vivaldi: Il Cimento dell'Armonia e dell'Inventione op. VIII - Vol. 1 | Blue Line

[ATTACH]16212[/ATTACH]

Thank you for this recommendation! :). Do you have any recommendations for Bach?

Which work are you particularly looking for?

I'm a bit new to Bach so not sure what works contain what but I'm interested in finding good high res (preferably DXD or DSD) versions of the following:

Air on a g string

Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring

The Goldberg Variations

...but I'd be happy to buy the works for all three of them also.

Thanks

I'm a bit new to Bach so not sure what works contain what but I'm interested in finding good high res (preferably DXD or DSD) versions of the following:

Air on a g string

Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring

The Goldberg Variations

...but I'd be happy to buy the works for all three of them also.

Thanks

The "air on a g string" is actually an arrangement of a movement from the Orchestral Suite (or ouverture) BWV 1068. My favorite version of these works is by the Freiburger Barockorchester available on 24/44 Harmonia Mundi.

Jesu is the last movement of Bach's cantata BWV 147 "Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben". The cantatas have been recorded in many excellent versions (Gardiner, Suzuki, Koopman etc.) but so far little in highres. I've only seen this album from Channel Classics, which certainly sounds nice, but performance-wise is only good, not outstanding:

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/recreation-for-the-soul (and what a horribly cheesy title they gave it)

The Goldbergs are available on modern piano, if you want highres, Andras Schiff's ECM recording is very good. and if you preferCembalo, Pierre Hantai is my favorite, one of his two recordings has recently been released as highrez on Naive.

The Goldbergs are available on modern piano, if you want highres, Andras Schiff's ECM recording is very good. and if you preferCembalo, Pierre Hantai is my favorite, one of his two recordings has recently been released as highrez on Naive.

+1 for Andras Schiff and Pierre Hantai for high-res Goldbergs.

And this as well:

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/34113-double-triple-concertos

Top notch playing and recording.

+1 on both of these releases featuring Rachel Podger.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system