IGNORED

I'd end up spending the same: Meridian Explorer/ifi isb power sup VS audio gd DAC 19 dsp

***Disclaimer: I'm pretty green when it comes to audiophilia so they components may not even be comparable***

The meridian explorer coupled with the ifi usb power supply seems like a great combo for upgrading from audioquest dragonfly. The question: is the audio gd DAC 19 dsp a better tool then that combo. I realize there are synergistic considerations. I'm trying to get insight on quality of equipment though and i can tweak the synergy from there. Make sense?

All suggestions and insights welcome. Thank you.

Dynaco ST-70, Schiit Multibit, Schiit Wird, Schiit Sys, Macbook Pro, Audirvana Plus, USB hardrive, Roman Erlikh custom speakers

I see that 125 people and counting have clicked on this post yet there are no comments. Is my question too. . .something, I don't know vague maybe? Is there just not enough information out there on the equipment that i'm researching? Maybe i'm approaching it from the wrong angle?

Lemme know. Thanks

Dynaco ST-70, Schiit Multibit, Schiit Wird, Schiit Sys, Macbook Pro, Audirvana Plus, USB hardrive, Roman Erlikh custom speakers

I'm not exactly sure: are you asking if we think the Audio GD DAC19 is better than a Meridian Explorer combined with iFi USB power supply?

If so its a quite specific question which is probably why you have had no replies.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Yes, that's exactly what i'm asking.

Well,maybe keeping the questioning simpler: is there a consensus on quality and performance of the Audio GD DAC? Thanks.

Yes, that's exactly what i'm asking.

Well,maybe keeping the questioning simpler: is there a consensus on quality and performance of the Audio GD DAC? Thanks.

Audio gd dacs are quite popular through the headphone community. You could Google dac 19 dsp to get specific reviews.

I definitely love mine but don't use it anymore, for the price it don't get any better.

***Disclaimer: I'm pretty green when it comes to audiophilia so they components may not even be comparable***

The meridian explorer coupled with the ifi usb power supply seems like a great combo for upgrading from audioquest dragonfly. The question: is the audio gd DAC 19 dsp a better tool then that combo. I realize there are synergistic considerations. I'm trying to get insight on quality of equipment though and i can tweak the synergy from there. Make sense?

All suggestions and insights welcome. Thank you.

Explorer v2 out shortly, no doubt improved (anodising perhaps). So existing Explorer should be cheaper...

I see that 125 people and counting have clicked on this post yet there are no comments. Is my question too. . .something, I don't know vague maybe? Is there just not enough information out there on the equipment that i'm researching? Maybe i'm approaching it from the wrong angle?

Lemme know. Thanks

Very hard to compare the two for most of us since most people including me have not done an A/B comparison of the two. If you are asking for opinion, I would look at my budget and ask for more open ended opinions. Be sure to give us an idea of what your preferences are too- headphones speakers, amps, etc. are as well as the budget you wanr to work within.

I am sure you will quicky be swimming in a sea of recommendations!

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Explorer v2 out shortly, no doubt improved (anodising perhaps). So existing Explorer should be cheaper...

I presume you mean apodising (filter).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks y'all. That's why i put the disclaimer at the top of the original post . . .i suspected it might be a 'can o worms' query.

[...] Be sure to give us an idea of what your preferences are too- headphones speakers, amps, etc. are as well as the budget you wanr to work within. [...]

Would be great to know about your system and musical tastes. Also anything about what you're especially dissatisfied with currently might provoke useful responses. Are you primarily a headphone user who will take the amp signal right out of the DAC?

Unfortunately I don't know the Audio GD unit, so agree that it is a good start to Google and look for reviews.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Hey flatmap. I'm the newb who started a thread on DAC upgrade advice in which you gave elaborate and thoughtful replies. I'd also PM'd. BTW: I'm signed up for a 15 day trial of ChannelD Pure Music.

My sys:

macbook air(solely dedicated to audio)

audioquest dragonfly

kimber cable 8TC

kimber mini to RCA

Richard Gray power conditioner

Dynaco ST-70

Angrstrom Image speakers

i listen to sys w SPEAKERS only.

Thank you.

Oh yeah! I just hadn't made the connection between the posts. PM answered.

Great that you're trying out Pure Music... and if it seems lacking to your tastes, then well worth visiting the other offerings and comparing back and forth. For me, PM has just the right balance -- i.e. for my ears, speakers, room, etc.

Thinking about your system -- with the monitor speakers and tubes -- I'm wondering if imaging might be pretty important in your listening? In any event, as you peruse reviews, it's nice to single out what musical features are critical for you. Yes, it is a somewhat artificial mindset to do so, but can be helpful in identifying the reviews/reports that are going to be the most meaningful. Naturally we want everything to be good, but on reflection we sometimes put special value on vocal purity, imaging, etc. If so, then nice to look out for those elements in user reports.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Gotcha.

Funny thing: I had to look up "imaging" because i knew audiophiles would have very specific definitions. Yes, imaging is something i'm addicted to. I get a sense of it with some recordings with my system. Often i can't tell whether it's how the artist mixed the sound, the quality of the recording, or my listening idiosyncrasies for specific instruments.

This is such a crazy, technical endeavor and so many outcomes may be achieved. Each equipment combination has it's own chemistry. Then you throw in the snake oil salesmen and the element of black magic that seems to hide out in all the nooks and crannies of hi-fi.

You're right, imaging (and almost every other quality of interest) does depend on the original recording/mix as well as the system's ability to reproduce it. In terms of playback equipment, vacuum tubes are somehow especially competent in this area.

I have a rec room downstairs, with one of my stereo systems is shoehorned in to whatever space (hardly any) was available. Speaker placement is not symmetric, speaker angle is ad hoc, and there are often stacks of boxes and various projects obscuring the line of sight. There's no good place to sit between the speakers and so I listen off to one side. But the speakers (vintage Altec 14s) have a beautiful dispersion and, driven by a big push-pull EL-34 amplifier create a wonderful illusion of sonic space. So there's all sorts of things lacking, but the system has enough of what I find enchanting to give me many happy hours of listening. :-)

So there's all sorts of things lacking, but the system has enough of what I find enchanting to give me many happy hours of listening. :-)

Very well said - I personally think that is the core of building a good system. It may be lacking in some things, but it has enough of what a music lover / audiophile loves to make the system enchanting. :)

That sounds so basic and sensible, it never really occurred to me to think of it any other way, though I do believe you said it much better. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein