IGNORED

Funding? making SACD ripping available through USB!

I'm in. Mac user. Tks

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

My personal preferred option is to develop a PCB myself which has the proper connector to convert the PS3 blu-ray drive connector to IDE and put all of that in a box that does IDE <-> USB.

So would it be feasible to remove this drive from the case (or buy it sans case), and install it in a desktop case, if one wanted that option? I'm assuming yes, and that'd it be easy, but just checking.

Mr. W, 3 things:

- Since I have my own PS3 for the purpose (thanks to your work - much appreciated), I don't think I would be up for purchasing a new separate unit that does the same thing. However, I can say that being able to listen to my SACDs at their best is a wonderful thing, and would recommend that folks who don't currently have a PS3 of the proper vintage consider your project.

- I'd urge you to give very strong consideration to ventilation/cooling as you go about your project, since lack of this seems to be what kills PS3s in normal use. I've got an adjustable fan fitted to mine that is turned all the way up and sounds like a jet engine taking off when in operation, but it gives me some peace of mind regarding longevity of the PS3.

- While I would not be interested in a second separate unit to do what my PS3 already does, I very much like the idea from Mir regarding a DIY kit and/or instructions. Is it possible you might consider this as a sort of lower price "spin-off"? (If more choices would add unwanted complexity, I fully understand.)

Thanks!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

To give this a more positive note, I am interested and if you go kickstarter I am in.

You think Kickstarter would put their organization behind something who's implicit intent is to cheat the no-copy provisions of the SACD process? Sony wouldn't raise much fuss over a couple of geeks hacking a PS3 for the purpose, but a quasi commercial product would get their lawyers salivating.

Looking forward to easy multi channel SACD ripping !!!

Thanks to Mr. W for offering and to all you supporters.

I do love this community!

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

You think Kickstarter would put their organization behind something who's implicit intent is to cheat the no-copy provisions of the SACD process? Sony wouldn't raise much fuss over a couple of geeks hacking a PS3 for the purpose, but a quasi commercial product would get their lawyers salivating.

Indeed.

US copyright law contains a provision to have the Register of Copyrights consider legal exemptions, or "safe harbors," from the prohibition against circumventing copy protection. (See 17 US Code Section 1201(a)(1)(B)-(D): U.S. Copyright Office - Copyright Law: Chapter 12 .) I'm thinking it would be a nice idea to see how many folks here and at other audiophile sites would get behind an effort to create a legal "safe harbor" for those who simply want to get the best sound from the SACDs they've purchased. (With perhaps a Kickstarter to raise money to pay an intellectual property law firm to argue/lobby for it?)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Indeed.

I get a kick out of the guy who advertises here in the banner above our heads, who will rip a SACD for what amounts to a very reasonable price. Gus Skinas, myself, and I'm sure others looked into doing just that. and It turned out the legal exposure was horrific, and certainly not worth the possible small income.

Maybe this guy has a great lawyer, of just doesn't know.

I get a kick out of the guy who advertises here in the banner above our heads, who will rip a SACD for what amounts to a very reasonable price. Gus Skinas, myself, and I'm sure others looked into doing just that. and It turned out the legal exposure was horrific, and certainly not worth the possible small income.

Maybe this guy has a great lawyer, of just doesn't know.

It might be the banner above *your* head. :) (I don't get banner ads, being a paid member. You oughta try it, get great deals from labels like Channel Classics. ;) )

Even for those who do get the banners, those ads might not always be the same for everyone. In the Web version of karma, what you've indicated an interest in previously is what you get ads for, or at least it works that way on most sites where I do get ads.

Turning to the comments from Jud, I just remembered that I've also got a very old PS3. Só I would Ratner be interested in a software + case tks

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Hi this is my second post in this forum.

Somehow though reasonably ambitious i find this project a little vain since we will have to rely in the increasingly rarer and unreliable playstation drives.

I thought of another idea which allow me to say is more useful and by far easier to fulfill. An easy to use and comprehensible software for MAC and PC able to convert Sacd Iso to dsf files therefore to something more usable by many devices.

Please let me know if such a thing exists, I know there are solutions but they are far from easy to use and comprehensible.

Thats all and sorry if I am slightly off topic..

It exists, right here, for free and it is very easy to use.

SONORE software

enjoy...

SONORE software

enjoy...

Seriously?

[h=1]Not Found[/h]The requested URL /apps.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at SONORE Rendu Port 80

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Howdy,

As some of you know I've made SACD ripping available through a PS3. The process of finding a PS3 with the correct software is cumbersome to say the least. Bare with me, there is another option..

The internal PS3 Blu-Ray player can actually be connected to a standard IDE port. With the proper software to go along the Blu-Ray drive can be authenticated to your PC and you'll be able to rip SACD's from your desktop computer directly. Yes, it really could be as simple as connecting the drive to a USB port and start the ripping process. Sounds great, so what's the catch? There is significant work involved..

1. First we need a stable connection from the blu-ray drive to a USB port. There is actually a device (3K3Y Ripp3r | Rip your games) which in theory is really all we need.. In reality it's too unstable and to low of build quality to be useful (I know as I've ordered several). My personal preferred option is to develop a PCB myself which has the proper connector to convert the PS3 blu-ray drive connector to IDE and put all of that in a box that does IDE <-> USB. Something like:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15184[/ATTACH]

2. The software that does the ripping process needs to authenticate the drive using the SACD authentication mechanism. I've already build/modified the emulator and I've tested the emulator with the Sony SACD authentication module, it works! Great so what's left? I still need to integrate all of that into SACD-Extract and make the process user-friendly.

Still interested? You can help me out by ordering (crowd funding?) a drive from me! I will supply you with an enclosure that contains a refurbished PS3 blu-ray player and a USB connection. I did some calculations and I need sell at least 150 drives to make this project viable. The price for a single drive will be 220 euro / dollar (excluding shipping costs).

If you're interested you can sign-up here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-BJkmS1TRVT1h3f0mIAqKRbRFqW-oNg0x3FBXKGoGaQ/edit

And watch registrations here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bJ6zSurHE069vWRk2OUTYjR_uTB2Yt_6KAUJDJ0dJjc/edit?usp=sharing

Details (payment, the look of the thing, specific parts, etc..) will follow, I first need to know if there is interest from the community..

fyi. It's not illegal for me/you to buy/sell a PS3 drive that's connected to a PC. It's also not illegal to distribute a modified SACD-Extract as it will not contain the Sony code that does the authentication. The Sony code is a separate module that you'll need to download yourself. I'll make the whole process easy, I promise!

Please spread the link to this CA post as I will not crosspost to other forums..

Cheers!

That good idea

I have signed.

I want to know more

Is it must be use the old PS3 which is able to read the SACD?

I have the thick Ps3 but it cannot read SACD

Will the project using some bluray player drive which is able to read SACD?

Thanks

SONORE software

enjoy...

The software you link to (and the link worked for me Paul) is hardly an alternative to the hardware being talked about - you still need a method of reading the SACD into your computer.

Unless you are talking about studio level EMM SACD player the PS3 is the only drive capable of being hacked - okay perhaps if you could extract the drive from an Oppo or other SACD compatible player but your essentially doing the same thing as proposed only with an unknown drive.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The software you link to (and the link worked for me Paul) is hardly an alternative to the hardware being talked about - you still need a method of reading the SACD into your computer.

Unless you are talking about studio level EMM SACD player the PS3 is the only drive capable of being hacked - okay perhaps if you could extract the drive from an Oppo or other SACD compatible player but your essentially doing the same thing as proposed only with an unknown drive.

Eloise

The poster asked for an easy to use extraction method once you have an SACD ISO. I see nothing wrong with pointing him to Jesus's GUI. ??

An easy to use and comprehensible software for MAC and PC able to convert Sacd Iso to dsf files therefore to something more usable by many devices.

Please let me know if such a thing exists, I know there are solutions but they are far from easy to use and comprehensible.

Thats all and sorry if I am slightly off topic..