IGNORED

Funding? making SACD ripping available through USB!

It's interesting, but I would need to see proof that it works and have more details. (PC only? PC & Mac? Custom drivers required, or just ripping software?)

220 euro sounds like a lot for the drive inside an enclosure. If we no longer have to worry about the software version, a used PS3 is a fraction of that price. Buy a "dead" YLoD system and pull the drive from it.

Is there a reason you are not going through a site like Kickstarter? Especially now that they require you to deliver on your product if it is funded.

• 3 months later...
99% of the activity on this thread seems to be people adding their name to Mr. Wicked's list, but there doesn't seem to be much info coming from Mr. Wicked either here or on his progress blog. Mr. Wicked, where do things stand?
This project seems to be in the early stages of design right now, and Mr Wicked seems to care about getting this right, rather than rushing the process.

I expect that it will be a big undertaking, and frankly would be surprised if the first few people start to receive their devices by the end of the year.

Now that is not a slight against Mr Wicked, just what I see as realistic expectations for a project like this.

And I'm sure that it will be worth the wait.

I'm rather annoyed at myself now, because I just checked the other day and saw that I actually forgot to sign up for a couple of these at the beginning, so I'm very far down the list.

• 1 month later...
doh.. I was hoping that the rom used inside the later ones that didn't list SACD the same as the one that does as manufacturer would purchase a load of the same item at the time to decrease cost. Sony may disable the feature on the firmware level only.

If one need to get the PS3 that supports SACD to start with, why would they join this project other than they have upgrade to the newer firmware.

Anyway, I am still interested in this project.

I believe it's a hardware decryption chip rather than a firmware change. The SACD support was removed to reduce the cost of the system.

The project is so that you remove the PS3 from the equation. You no longer have to worry about whether the PS3 is functional, or whether it's running the right firmware - you just need a drive that works.

• 3 weeks later...
Will I also be able to backup my Blu-ray discs to hard drive with this unit?

I would recommend buying a regular Blu-ray drive and AnyDVD HD or MakeMKV as Eloise suggests.

Even if it is possible to use this drive to rip Blu-rays, why wear down the drive - which is the only thing that can currently rip SACDs, and becoming scarce - when a $50 drive will do a better job? (the PS3 drive is only 2x speed)