IGNORED

Funding? making SACD ripping available through USB!

I'm in on this, but I didn't see the answer to the RFI on the platform specifics. Will this work in a Mac, and what OS will it function under?

If not Mac, I don't know how I can easily make it work for me.

Thanks,

---Michael

Server ---> Rpi ---> Audiophilleo2 ---> Metrum Octave ---> Audio Horizons Pre ---> Pass Labs XA30.5 ---> Sonus Faber Liuto Towers

Computer ---> Audio Hardware ---> Air ---> Ears ---> Brain

Looks like we're halfway there... let's hope this comes to pass.

I 'only' have about 60 SACD right now, and all of them are hybrid, so I have ripped the CD layer to my files. Looking forward to getting the higher resolution versions ripped as well.

If this takes a while, I may have to ask Ted_b to rip for me! Not sure he still does that.

---Michael

Server ---> Rpi ---> Audiophilleo2 ---> Metrum Octave ---> Audio Horizons Pre ---> Pass Labs XA30.5 ---> Sonus Faber Liuto Towers

Or, if the DSD download is available online from a reputable download site, you could always demonstrate your support of the labels making them available by purchasing them.

Not if I already purchased the music in a physical form. I already 'demonstrated' my support. Maybe the labels should give me a free download to thank me for my previous 'demonstration' of support?

I'll take the ripper drive, thank you.

---Michael

So this most recent discussion raises a question that I had been thinking about, but am not clear on the details, so I guess I'll ask...

SACD was introduced in 1999 if I recall correctly. Patent law in the US and generally, World, provides 20 years of protection, and they clearly had to have the format developed and segments patented before the introduction of the format. So, aren't the legal restrictions that Sony established for the SACD format essentially moot upon that expiration date? At that point anyone can build an SACD reader that would send out a digital stream, and presumably also make a SACD compatible writer as well?

I believe that the fear of piracy was the reason the SACD arrangement was developed, but clearly the lid has been blown off that box by the development of computers, the internet, and digital audio formats that far exceed what was being envisioned when the SACD format was originally being developed in the mid-90's (in the world of the traditional consumer purchase model, with Redbook CDs on shelves of brick and mortar stores)? You can go to any number of places online now and download PCM files that will sonically match the SACD format, and also in some places, you can also download DSD files that either exactly match or exceed anything that SACD was able to deliver (depending on mastering, I suppose).

Patents protects methods of reading SACD. SONY has intellectual rights to patents.

Recording companies (if I don't mistaken) must get permission for publishing records in SACD format. Allowing for using SACD/DSD terms to digital recordings and optical discs is property (registered trademark) of SONY.

I wasn't referring to mastering or authoring SACD with my question, so I am not really concerned about the issues regarding producing an SACD disc. That would likely have to go through the issues of trademark IP that as far as I know, does not expire ever, really.

I was talking about the technology to produce a hardware device that can read an SACD. Once the patents expire, I don't think that it is possible to restrict what a manufacturer could choose to do with the information that is pulled off the disc, because they cannot be sued for patent infringement on the technology, and the restrictions to the technology are associated with the SACD manufacturers licence agreement, not specific patents or other limitations.

That is what I was asking. Is this essentially correct?

Liense agreement is result of patent rights.

I.e. you are patent owner. You conclude License agreement with hardware/software manufacturer for using the patent.

If patent already expiried, you lose right to it, you can't right conclude the agreement.

I don't say here about license agreement for musical content.

I think we're saying the same thing...

---Michael

Jud,

I'm not talking about violating copyright on artwork. I'm talking about the technical limitations that Sony established as part of the licensing agreements to develop the hardware for sale to consumers.

I'm specifically talking about this in the context of personally using the music in a manner that is consistent with space shifting, which I understand has been ruled as acceptable and covered use under the AHRA.

---Michael

• 3 weeks later...

We're almost there... looks like we need 13 more commitments.

I'm hoping that this can be a success!

---Michael