IGNORED

Linear Powered Rips & flash drives sound better - Alex was right !

He also said that there was no mechanism where this "noise" could be reproduced when transferring / copying from one device to another.

The point where you claim these effects can be transferred across internet transmission is where everything falls down!!

+1

Here is John's post if anyone wants to read it:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/bit-identical-files-sounding-different-due-ps-used-ripping-or-subsequent-file-handling-18556/index8.html#post281104

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

The point where you claim these effects can be transferred across internet transmission is where everything falls down!!

That is your opinion and not shared by quite a few people with far better hearing and audio gear than you -

The professionals in their field.

You are possibly old enough to remember Professor of Music Ian Craig-Marsh, originally a founding member of Human League and Heaven 17 ? Ian has saved and demonstrated my files to his BBC colleagues and Mastering Engineers in Germany as well .

I think you may find too , that John Swenson, unlike Alex C, did not entirely dismiss my reports .

At the time though, Alex C's Mac Mini was far less resolving than it is now .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Tom

Is English your first language ?

How this can possibly be COPIED to another file is a whole different problem.

Perhaps your interpretation of that sentence is very different to that of many others ?

Given John's recent research, I think you may find that he now has more questions than answers at present.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Tom

Is English your first language ?

Perhaps your interpretation of that sentence is very different to that of many others ?

Given John's recent research, I think you may find that he now has more questions than answers at present.

Alex

English is my native language and the sentence you quoted clearly agrees with what Eloise said. In other words, his theory wouldn't account for differences that remain when a file is copied or transmitted to another location.

How do you interpret it?

He said that it was a whole different problem, NOT that it was impossible.

I read John's answer as very carefully crafted.

The fact remains that John DID see system noise saved along with the Binary Data on the HDD.

As usual, both you and Eloise very conveniently ignored the unedited attached sentence.

Note: I have never tried to hear this effect, this is entirely a possible explanation for what MIGHT be happening at least for some of this.

I will not be further replying to either you or Eloise in this thread if I can avoid doing so, as it's a waste of my time.

Believe what you want. Neither of your opinions in this area matter to me, as I already have heaps of confirmation from people with credibility in the LISTENING area -

Professionals in their respective fields.

He said that it was a whole different problem, NOT that it was impossible.

I read John's answer as very carefully crafted.

The fact remains that John DID see system noise saved along with the Binary Data on the HDD.

As usual, both you and Eloise very conveniently ignored the unedited attached sentence.

I will not be further replying to either you or Eloise in this thread if I can avoid doing so, as it's a waste of my time.

Believe what you want. Neither of your opinions in this area matter to me, as I already have heaps of confirmation from people with credibility in the LISTENING area -

Professionals in their respective fields.

Nowhere in his message does he say that he saw system noise saved with the binary data on the HDD. He is very clear that he is talking about theory, not something he has actually observed:

I have not done any measurements to see if this actually does happen, but it is theoretically possible.

Along the same lines, where a file is physically located on a disk can also theoretically be a factor in noise generated during it's reading.

Perhaps the word "theoretically" has a different meaning in Australian English...

You are possibly old enough to remember Professor of Music Ian Craig-Marsh, originally a founding member of Human League and Heaven 17 ? Ian has saved and demonstrated my files to his BBC colleagues and Mastering Engineers in Germany as well.

Are you sure Ian Craig-Martinis a professor? You're not confusing him with Martyn's Ware (another founding member of Heaven 17 and Human League) who is Visiting Professor at Queen Mary College, University of London?

I think you may find too , that John Swenson, unlike Alex C, did not entirely dismiss my reports .

At the time though, Alex C's Mac Mini was far less resolving than it is now .

IIRC Alex didn't dismiss your claims and listened to your demonstration tracks without finding a difference. Beyond that I think it's disingenuous to make any comments about Alex and his setup. You have stated that such differences can be heard with headphones from a sound card (iirc) so you cannot dismiss those who do not hear a difference so easily.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Are you sure Ian Craig-Martinis a professor? You're not confusing him with Martyn's Ware (another founding member of Heaven 17 and Human League) who is Visiting Professor at Queen Mary College, University of London?

IIRC Alex didn't dismiss your claims and listened to your demonstration tracks without finding a difference. Beyond that I think it's disingenuous to make any comments about Alex and his setup. You have stated that such differences can be heard with headphones from a sound card (iirc) so you cannot dismiss those who do not hear a difference so easily.

Eloise

Ian Craig-Marsh toured with Thomas Dolby in Japan about a year ago now, and does a lot of work with the BBC.

YES, Ian is a genuine Professor of Music now, and tutors professionally too. These days Ian is more into Classical Music. He had to restrict his touring duties not so long back due to a heart scare, which saw him lose a lot of weight to help overcome the problem.

Israel (Barouche , I hope his surname is spelled correctly) is a friend of Ian's and a retired U.S. Professor of Music, and he has also verified my reports via uploaded .wav files. Israel toured with the original cast of Porgy and Bess in 1954.

He still has amazing hearing that would put most younger people to shame.

Ian was also a fellow Admin with me in another forum for several years and even sent me a brand new copy of "LPO Mahler-Resurrection" to rip for him. Israel gave several CDs to friends and family after hearing my rip of the 2 CD set.

I have NEVER recommended listening to these files directly from the ANALOGUE output of a soundcard.

A DIY Moderator from Europe did that >5 years ago with a comparison CD that I sent him, directly from analogue out from a mediocre soundcard into a pair of monoblock amplifiers.

You should use the minimum of a good DAC via either coax SPDIF or async USB.

Alex Crespi's setup using his Mac Mini is FAR more revealing these days, as can be seen by numerous threads that he has started with long names, and the installation of a JS2 Linear PSU that was designed by his friend John Swenson.

I feel it fair to quote him, because he boasted at the time how highly revealing his set up was. Now he "shares drinks with the musicians." I do indeed believe that he has made major improvements to his system just as he has reported, and others have benefitted from his hard work in this area.

Ian Craig-Marsh toured with Thomas Dolby in Japan about a year ago now, and does a lot of work with the BBC.

YES, Ian is a genuine Professor of Music now, and tutors professionally too.

Are you sure about this? What institution does he teach at?

kumakuma

Your argumentative nit picking contributions to this thread are offering nothing of value, your listening capabilities/expertise has been shown elsewhere by yourself to be mediocre, and will now be ignored.

kumakuma

Your argumentative nit picking contributions to this thread are offering nothing of value, your listening capabilities/expertise has been shown elsewhere by yourself to be mediocre, and will now be ignored.

Typical response from you when you don't have an answer to a question.

I asked because there is zero indication from anything available online that the person you mentioned is a professor of music. If you want to trot him out as an expert who supports you, at least get your facts straight.

Yeah kumakuma.

You have to start with the audiophile premise to achieve the proper abilities and expertise.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the sighted subjective evaluation that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire sound, sounds become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

With apologies to Frank Herbert.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Yeah kumakuma.

You have to start with the audiophile premise to achieve the proper abilities and expertise.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the sighted subjective evaluation that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire sound, sounds become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

I guess I'm just not feeling it today.

From Swenson's comment "It's not completely unbelievable that this noise might make it through into a DAC. "

Well it's nor completely unbelievable that tomorrow morning John Swenson will wake up look like Brad Pitt, but its not likely enough to consider it.

Kumakuma

Ian and myself have exchanged 100s of emails, and he is a very private person who has had some bad experiences with stalkers.

The attached is the most you are likely to find out about Ian C-M.

You are now beginning to piss me off with your incessant waste of my time, pin pricking, so please leave this thread to those who have something worthwhile to contribute on the subject of the thread !!!

According to Wikipedia (I take this with a grain of salt, because Wikipedia has been proven over and over again to be, well. . .

not a very reliable source for anything) he announced that he would not return to Heaven 17 in 2007, whereupon he then went back to. . . college.

To study what, nobody knows, and the world of academia’s gain is every H17 fan’s loss. -

See more at: Hitting The Penthouse And Pavement: Whatever Happened To Ian Craig Marsh? - Popshifter

YES, Ian is a genuine Professor of Music now, and tutors professionally too. These days Ian is more into Classical Music. He had to restrict his touring duties not so long back due to a heart scare, which saw him lose a lot of weight to help overcome the problem.

Ian Craig-Marsh was a member of Human League and Heaven 17. As far as anyone know he never received a degree in music or any thing else, no less being a "Professor of Music". Oh, wikipedia says nothing about college.

Yeah kumakuma.

With apologies to Frank Herbert.

I do love the universe created by the Dune books (the original series written by Frank Herbert - never got into the subsequent ones).

I personally feel it is fair to say John Swenson did not know of a mechanism by which differences stored on a drive might be preserved when the file was transferred to another drive, stick, etc. But I did not understand him to go beyond that to definitively say it was impossible. I think the electrical engineers who've actually done audio design tend to shy away from such sweeping statements, in contrast to us dedicated amateurs. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

You are now beginning to piss me off with your incessant waste of my time, pin pricking, so please leave this thread to those who have something worthwhile to contribute on the subject of the thread !!!

In other words, only contribute if you agree with Alex. Got it.

Some day when you are over 70, your hearing may become acute enough to hear these differences. Until then, just STFU, faithless non-believer.

Thanks, Bill. Alex has already made this clear.

You quoted me before I added some more jitter.

Sorry about that. I just added a linear power supply to my keyboard and mouse to help reduce reply jitter.