IGNORED

PS Audio Direct Stream DAC

Hello -

Has anyone heard or owns the PS Audio DS DAC? I am very interested in it and with my qualifying DAC as a trade it is not too bad money wise - but still expensive. I learned today they build each one on a per order basis. Anyway any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks -

Richard

My System: McIntosh C47, McIntosh MC152, McIntosh MCT450, Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Tube Integrated, Dynaudio Special 25's, Transparent Super Interconnects and Speaker Cables

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Hi Richard

It a very good DAC, not analytical like say an MSB, but not musical like a Lampizator, rather its highly revealing with oodles of detail.

You have to watch what you feed it though. I know, for example, one guy who took one home and found it didn't perform that well - highly detailed but very fatiguing - his wife would constantly ask him to turn it off. In desperation he fed it with a battery powered Audiophellio which transformed it.

I heard it with a friend in a dealers showroom and was very underwhelmed - we both thought thin and tinny. Others with good ears thought the same and we really were scratching our head - why the fuss. I had heard it on another system and liked it much better - but the dealers system is VERY VERY revealing.

The other day I had another listen - much better. What changed? The dealer changed the source to a music server he made run from a linear power supply.

The conjecture is its sensitive to hash etc that may be travelling down cables rather than jitter because it has some SOTA jitter reduction stuff that should render it source insensitive. That's theory of course - in practice it doesn't seem to be.

Thanks

Bill

Thanks for the answers everyone. It is such an expensive piece I am a little hesitant but like the concepts behind it. I am going to keep it on my radar as I evaluate a few otter options.

My System: McIntosh C47, McIntosh MC152, McIntosh MCT450, Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Tube Integrated, Dynaudio Special 25's, Transparent Super Interconnects and Speaker Cables