IGNORED

Amarra re-design concept

davidian

@KnockKnock the latest Amarra is rock solid, it never crashed on me. In the other hand playing on Cache mode makes the opening time longer.

Mac Pro > Amarra / A+2 > Forza Audioworks FAW Copper Series USB > Bel Canto 2.5 DAC > Horn audiophiles "The Analyst" RCA > Naim Nait 5si > AudioQuest FLX/SLiP 14/4 > Mark & Daniel Ruby

davidian, put directly up against current Amarra it is easy to see your design is functionally better. And i tend to agree with you that design is predominately a question of function rather than subjectivity.

The colour question is one I have lambasted the Amarra guys about in the past so don't be backward coming forward.

Blue is non sensical because Amarra has to exist alongside many other colour palettes across desktops and album art. For that functional reason it should be colour neutral greyish!

It would be nice to think that Amarra Inc will take some notice. They sell a very premium product and it should look like it!

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

davidian, put directly up against current Amarra it is easy to see your design is functionally better. And i tend to agree with you that design is predominately a question of function rather than subjectivity.

The colour question is one I have lambasted the Amarra guys about in the past so don't be backward coming forward.

Blue is non sensical because Amarra has to exist alongside many other colour palettes across desktops and album art. For that functional reason it should be colour neutral greyish!

It would be nice to think that Amarra Inc will take some notice. They sell a very premium product and it should look like it!

Thanks for your feedback, and I really agree with you on everything but I will highlight this:" They sell a very premium product and it should look like it!"

Mac Pro > Amarra / A+2 > Forza Audioworks FAW Copper Series USB > Bel Canto 2.5 DAC > Horn audiophiles "The Analyst" RCA > Naim Nait 5si > AudioQuest FLX/SLiP 14/4 > Mark & Daniel Ruby

I like what you did quite a bit. It's much cleaner and well balanced. It would be nice if the Amarra folks at least gave some color options for the UI.

Ultimately I wish they would standardize the button sizes and provide better iconography (and/or text labels). There seem to be a lot of buttons that do the same or similar things (or insinuate that they do), it wouldn't be difficult to streamline:

• Add iTunes
  • Add Finder
  • Open
  • Open
  • Add
  • Finder

• clear
  • clear all

• save
  • save

Even better, I would also like to see them make the displayed buttons context sensitive so "playlist mode" buttons were not displayed when in "itunes mode" and vice versa.

I like the simplicity of "playlist mode", but I wouldn't mind seeing a more integrated way to view and select existing playlists. I'd also like to be able to remove individual songs from the playlist window.

I like what you did quite a bit. It's much cleaner and well balanced. It would be nice if the Amarra folks at least gave some color options for the UI.

Ultimately I wish they would standardize the button sizes and provide better iconography (and/or text labels). There seem to be a lot of buttons that do the same or similar things (or insinuate that they do), it wouldn't be difficult to streamline:

• Add iTunes
  • Add Finder
  • Open
  • Open
  • Add
  • Finder

• clear
  • clear all

• save
  • save

Even better, I would also like to see them make the displayed buttons context sensitive so "playlist mode" buttons were not displayed when in "itunes mode" and vice versa.

I like the simplicity of "playlist mode", but I wouldn't mind seeing a more integrated way to view and select existing playlists. I'd also like to be able to remove individual songs from the playlist window.

Good observations!

• 3 weeks later...
Any and ALL music player displays (including Amarra) should be as wide as possible to accommodate long classical titles.

I doesn't need to be necessarily wider, there are different ways to display larger names, eg: Tooltips, lateral animation, two lines text, etc.