IGNORED

Why would I want to use Minimserver, it seems to be total PITA...

ErikM

I've got a Synology NAS, soon to have an Auralic Aries.. I'm trying to figure out Why would I want to use Minimserver instead of the Synology server software? Minimserver seems to be a real pain in the ass. I've tried to install it from the package center.. it then tells me I need to add Java, so I go to the site it directs me to.. there's a bunch of Java versions.. I finally figure out which one I need, I download it and it won't run..Jeez..

So I ask again WHY do I need or want Minimserver?? does it sound any better than the Synology server that's super simple?? What am I missing??

• 3 weeks later...

Minimserver also offers extra versatility in browsing your music especially if you create extended TAGs such as Composer, Composition/Work, Movement, Orchestra etc.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Minimserver also offers extra versatility in browsing your music especially if you create extended TAGs such as Composer, Composition/Work, Movement, Orchestra etc.

This was my main reason to install minimserver. And is a clear distinctive feature.

Other 2 nice to haves:

- transcoding to wav (you can run it to transcode flac to uncompressed flac or wav on the fly, in the server; this way the player software and hardware does not have to make this task)

- good support on lumin; lumin app is one the best around and support the "intelligent browsing" of Minimserver. Once you try, and if you use a lot of tags, you won't go back to the "old way" of browsing.

DSD is not yet a nice to have for me but could be in the future...