IGNORED

Testing System Changes

So, over the past two months, I've made some large changes in my MAIN system (see signature).

Basically, I changed everything between the computer and the integrated amp, going to:

• TotalDac D1 USB cable/filter
  • Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB converter
  • Shunyata Python Zitron AES/EBU digital cable
  • Luxman DA-06 DAC

Those four items were not added at once, but as I say, in a short period of time.

I am totally happy with all the changes, delighted in fact.

And I discovered something about testing how the new hardware changed sound quality.

That is, I heard more differences and distinctions not from favorite recordings I've been listening to a lot and not from recordings that while of high quality, I don't listen to a lot.

Instead, the most revealing recordings for me have been albums that I used to love a lot, used to play a lot, but haven't listening to as much recently. Those recordings combined the familiar with the distance of time.

My memory knew what the albums sounded like, but the perspective of not having listening to them as much lately really highlighted the sound quality benefits and general changes of my four new gizmos.

Just wondering what recordings, in terms of your relationship to them -- not specific albums -- you've found best for testing changes.

Dave, who notes that "not having listening to them as much lately" might just mean 6 months or a year and didn't need to mean several years

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++