IGNORED

HQ Player and Lampi DSD DAC

Jabs1542

I just received my Lampi DSD DAC today and am trying to get it configured to work with HQPlayer. Note that I tested the DAC and it works fine playing DSD from JRiver (drivers downloaded etc). This question is for Lampi owners running HQPlayer - how do you have the player configured?

Here is what I have:

File>DSDIFF/DSD Settings

- DirectSDM: not checked

- 6 dB Gain: not checked

- Conversion type: ploy-short-mp

- Noise Filter: standard

- Integrator: IIR

File>Settings

- Backend: ASIO

- Device: Combo384 ASIO 1.03

- Channels: 2

- Channel Offset: 0

- SDM Pack: DoP (I also tried "none")

- Buffer time: Default

- DAC bits: Default

skipping a PCM defaults since I am only playing DSD

SDM Defaults

- Oversampling: ploy-sinc-shrt-2s

- Modulator: DSD5v2

- Bit rate (/limit): 2822400

Any clues out there? Thanks - Jay

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Got it! Funny, after typing the message I saw some relationships and needed to try a combination of things. This works, all above with the following exceptions:

File>DSDIFF/DSD Settings

- DirectSDM: checked

File>Settings

- SDM Pack: none

under SDM Defaults

- Bit Rate (/limit): 5644800

Now to enjoy some music while this thing breaks in :)

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Let us know what you think of it. I'd love to hear one!

Got it! Funny, after typing the message I saw some relationships and needed to try a combination of things. This works, all above with the following exceptions:

File>DSDIFF/DSD Settings

- DirectSDM: checked

File>Settings

- SDM Pack: none

under SDM Defaults

- Bit Rate (/limit): 5644800

Now to enjoy some music while this thing breaks in :)

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Currently (having been played a whopping 2 hours) it's a little gritty in the upper mids and a little flabby in the bass. But then this was to be expected after reading what others had posted. I read that 100 hours of break in is minimal and 200 hours is about right, so I'll leave it on streaming DSD for 24 by approximately 8 or 9 days before I start to get serious.

However, I have already heard some sounds I had never heard before. Example, Squirrel Nut Zippers' Hell, right when he sings "I can hear the old man stompin his feet" it plays a subterranean bass rumble - inaudible but shook the hell out of the room - clearly the old man was stompin his feet! BTW, this was RBCD through the HQPlayer.

I have been rediscovering my CD collection thanks to Miska :)

I recently bought a Lampi DSD as well. HQplayer sounds the best on my system and I have followed the settings you mentioned above except I am running off a Mac so I use DOP. However, I can't get MP3 files to go into the library. All other files play. Any advice. Thanks

Sorry I can't help with the MP3 files, I revised my library and settled on FLAC and DSF. However, what settings did you use to get HQPlayer to stream to the Lampi using DoP? I never could get DoP to work (I miss the remote volume control).

Thanks for the info. It really is amazing the player just wish it could play mp3. Still have so many files in mp3 and I play mostly playlists mixed with everything from DSD to really small files downloaded from the internet in the 90s of bootleg shows. Maybe this will be something HQplayer adds in the future.

Thanks for the info. It really is amazing the player just wish it could play mp3. Still have so many files in mp3 and I play mostly playlists mixed with everything from DSD to really small files downloaded from the internet in the 90s of bootleg shows. Maybe this will be something HQplayer adds in the future.

License for MP3 decoder would multiply the player license price at current sales volumes.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I just received a SOtM SMS-100 (with the matching battery power supply) and now have it working with HQP and my Lampi DSD. Instructions for this were rather vague or nonexistent, so here are a few tips.

Once the SMS-100 is up and running you can launch HQP and go to File | Settings, in that dialog box you will change your selection for Backend (currently it is probably pointed to your DAC's ASIO driver). The drop down listbox now offers NetworkAudioAdapter as an option - select this. If you are lucky then the next box below (Device) will have an option for your DAC's ASIO driver (it may be he same for WASAPI).

I was was not that lucky but figured it out. The SMS-100 likes to send its DSD data as DoP. Once I selected the DoP option in the SDM Pack drop down listbox my Device input box populated properly.

An SMS-100 issue to deal with as well. Before you do all of this, right after you get the SMS-100 to boot and you can hit the device's webpage with a browser you will want to go to Apps | Audio App Switcher. By default the DLNA/MPD service will be running, you want to turn that off and turn on HQPlayer NAA. Once this is done your SMS-100 is setup ready to receive data from HQP NAA via Ethernet.

Final note: The user manual for the SMS-100 on the Sonore website is old. HQPlayer is now one of the main options on the device and is in the App Switcher list, it is now easy peasy to setup the SMS-100 for HQP NAA.