IGNORED

Samsung 840 EVO Firmware

Thanks for posting this. I have one about to be installed

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 4 weeks later...

I would advice against using any TLC based SSD for music storage such as the Samsung 840 EVO series. Surely people keep backups of their collection, but opting for TLC based NAND is shortsighted. The reason being that TLC degrades the cells quicker, resulting in a situation where your SSD becomes faulty or simply fails much quicker than MLC or SLC based SSDs.

Its a little "techy", but here is a way more precise explanation:

AnandTech | Understanding TLC NAND

• 2 weeks later...

Anandtech in the 840 EVO review says the exact opposite: "Endurance isn't a concern for client systems using the 840 EVO".

AnandTech | Samsung SSD 840 EVO Review: 120GB, 250GB, 500GB, 750GB & 1TB Models Tested

Especially since a music collection is mostly read only. :)

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Yesterday I upgraded to a 1TB 840 EVO for my htpc, using aprox 80GB for Windows 7 and programs, and the remaining space for my music. No external hard drives sharing USB or eSata, no NAS over the network, just a simple single drive hosting the files. Should last for years and years, and quite fast to import library and update etc.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

I used Samsung's Data Migration Wizard to clone my puny internal SSD to an 840 EVO. Now audio skips and breaks up on all playback sources except the built-in RealTec analog outputs. I updated EVO firmware, ran Samsung's Performance Accelerator, and reinstalled my other audio drivers (GeekOut and Cambridge Audio ASIO). The audio problem persists and I am at a loss as to why. Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

I don't have benchmark data yet, but I have the feeling that my 840 EVO 512MB has been getting slower in recent months (I've had it for 2 years). I use it as a system disc (OS and software) as well as for temporary data like downloads or data to be burned to DVD.

Recently, while I'm in the verification phase of burning a DVD (DVD is compared to the original files on the SSD, at high speed) and a download is running in the background, when I try to copy files from the SSD to the data hard drive or even just try to rename files on the SSD, this operation takes a lot of time to start, almost as with a classic hard drive which has a much slower access time during multiple parallel operations. This didn't happen before.

I have the latest firmware, I used the Performance Restoration Tool mentionned above and the disc is configured for optimum performance. The Samsung tools don't indicate a problem.

Claude

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking around the web and bumped into a Samsung 840 EVO problem, in that data that has been on the drive for a couple of months, reads slower than data that was placed on said drive recently. Seems that older data has less of a charge and thus responds slowly to read. I find this to be troubling, in as I would like to move to all SSD's in my music system, a mac mini.

I may have jumped the spinning rust ship too early… time reveals/solves all problems, so perhaps this will be the year to find the 'perfect' music storage drive(s).

Some people are still afraid of the dark… Purveyor of Remorseless Audio

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A little while ago, I had a Samsung EVO 840 128GB cause a catastrophic PC failure.

I was doing a .flac to.wav conversion at the time using Foobar 2000, but cancelled the operation because it wasn't going to the folder I had created (my fault) The W8/64 PC locked up and I had to Restart.

When restarted, a message appeared saying that no OS could be found. Restarting, and even unplugging the mains did not fix the problem. The message also suggested unplugging other HDDs.

I disconnected only the SSD and it's little Linear PSU (internal +12V regulated to +5V) and the PC became operational again.

After seeing recent discussions here in C.A., yesterday I used Samsung Magician to verify that it I was the most recent firmware. It was. I then tried the little Linear PSU from a 12V Bench supply and the Linear PSU output voltage was O.K. ( 4.989V) and did not drop when plugged into the SSD. Has anybody else had a failure like this?

The SSD had been working well since late October 2014 and was used only for music storage.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

UPDATE.

After I was certain that the PC was fully operational again without the SSD, I then decided to use Foobar 2000m to convert the files to. wav and save them at a different storage location.

I then received the attached message.

Perhaps the SSD isn't faulty after all, and arrogant Foobar disabled the SSD , locking up the PC ?

I am not in a hurry to pull the PC apart again and find out ! If I hadn't decided to use Foobar again, I would not have known that Foobar itself at least initiated the problem.

Alex

yrzNGJ.jpg

UPDATED.

I have now tried the SSD in an external USB cradle and the SSD performs normally. (Whew!)

Alex

P.S.

I may be unfairly blaming Foobar 2000 for this lockup, but whatever the cause of the lockup, the PC was then non usable until the SSD was physically removed.