IGNORED

M-Audio Transit

I am looking into buying one of these but was hoping to get a few answers before I do. On a Dell XP laptop what software/format should I use if I want to avoid the tweeter blowing experience? Is ASIO the best option for an XP laptop?

I don't have a preamp and need to adjust the volume with the computer. Is there a volume on the model or will I have to use software to adjust it? If I use software will that automatically send the audio through the dreaded K-mixer?

With ASIO will the transit be able to auto switch the sample rate?

Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

That's a lot of questions, bball.

First off, the Transit doesn't have a volume control, so you'd have to either use the volume knob on an (integrated or headphone) amplifier or control the volume through the player software.

In terms of software and format, I can recommend MediaMonkey and FLAC, a combination I've used for three years without a hitch (or any bursts of "white noise" -- I'll come to that).

As long as there's only one audio stream and the Windows volume is set to 100%, XP's Kmixer doesn't get involved at all. (See Benchmark Audio's wiki for more details.)

So you might actually get away with MediaMonkey's default DirectSound output.

But to be absolutely sure that Kmixer doesn't change your data on their way from MediaMonkey to the M-Audio Transit, you can install MediaMonkey's ASIO plugin. (The Transit comes with an ASIO driver, so you don't even need ASIO4ALL.)

To avoid glitches, pops and bursts of noise, you might want to:

• switch off all Windows system sounds (Control panel > Sounds and audio devices > Sounds tab > Sound scheme: No sounds > Apply >OK)
  • switch off the startup/shutdown beep (Control panel > System > Hardware tab > Device manager > View menu: Show hidden devices > Scan list for "Non plug and play drivers" and expand the node > Right click on "Beep" to disable it > Restart)
  • set the latency in the M-Audio Transit's control panel to "Very high" (low latency matters only when you're recording, mixing or editing sound; for mere playback it's irrelevant -- in fact, you want high latency to avoid glitches and dropouts)
  • leave audio settings, sample rates, cables, etc. well alone while you're listening to music (you wouldn't rip out cables, disconnect components or change the speed of a turntable mid-song while you're listening to conventional audio equipment, either)

I didn't really understand your last question -- the M-Audio Transit doesn't re/over/upsample -- but I hope this is enough to help get you started.

Silent, fanless Shuttle XS35 with Intel SSD, FLAC, Squeezebox Touch, Benchmark DAC1 Pre, Bryston 2B SST, PMC FB1i