IGNORED

Article: Network Audio Refresher

I have wired the house with simple bulk Cat 5E cable some 7 years ago.

I also use separate network components of 'home office' grade, works perfect, I have 500-600 MBit/sec transfer rate on reads (storage could be the bottleneck), but it enables me to stream full blu-ray into several rooms simultaneously.

For sure, JRiver has no issue even with DSD..

Don't understand really why did you have to push AudioQuest here (it was mentioned 14 times !!!),

how much did you pay for the cabling, it is crazy expensive? How long is the total run?

-- Michael

I, too, thought it odd that the words Audioquest Vodka preceded virtually every mention of ethernet cable, and that was often multiple times per paragraph. Sorry, Chris, but this article reads like a promotion for Audoquest above all else.

I, too, thought it odd that the words Audioquest Vodka preceded virtually every mention of ethernet cable, and that was often multiple times per paragraph. Sorry, Chris, but this article reads like a promotion for Audoquest above all else.

No good deed goes unpunished.

P.S. It's called Search Engine Optimization.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

Concerning ISPs, it looks like you have the Business Comcast service. I switched to them from the residential Comcast service which is rated one of the worst. Business is much, much better, more reliable and with much better response time when you need service. I got a package including phone service (VOIP) so that my unlimited internet is $89/month.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

I bypass all routers, modems and switches, and connect a QNAP NAS directly to a Cambridge Audio 752 blu-ray player with custom LPS and Joe Rasmussen clock upgrade. I find it better than running through a normal network, subtly less noise and digital type sound.

The good part about this setup is I only need a single 1m Ethernet cable. So if I want to try some high end Ethernet such as the Vodka or Diamond it will be affordable.

The bad part about the setup is you are limited to using the media collection via the Oppo's limited DLNA network functionality, but the less devices the better, no need for a CAPS server.

No good deed goes unpunished.

P.S. It's called Search Engine Optimization.

For the record: the article uses the phrase "ethernet cable" 11 times, and "Audioquest Vodka" only 5 times in the article itself. It uses both again one time each (togther) in the list of hardware at the bottom of the page. Is this too much? I don't know, it didn't bother me when I originally read it.

As someone who worked in SEO for 12 years, I can tell you that good SEO means including desired keyphrases in the text without making it seem like you are overdoing it. That's more pleasant for the human reader; clearly a machine reader doesn't care.

As far as machine readers, the algorithms at Google are very sophisticated, and actually probably will downgrade the score of the page for "overuse" of the term if it is overused as Google defines the term. On the other hand, Chris' site is popular enough that there may be quite a few other sites that will link to the article. That alone may be enough to get the page a high search engine rank.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks for the article describing what you have done.

When I lived in NC this was very easy to do as my house had a crawl space underneath and a full attic above so I could pop wired ethernet connections in pretty much wherever I needed them and run them either above or below the space. I also ran some speaker cables that way as well.

Now I live in California and the house here is built on a concrete pad so there is no way to go underneath and the rooms all have vaulted ceilings so there is no attic. I have been here a couple years and am still scratching my head about how to run ethernet. My HOA would not allow me to run it outside the house as that was one thought. Furthermore, the cable comes in at one end of the house so I am also challenged in getting my wireless access to all points in the house.

So achieving a wired network is easy in some instances but almost impossible in others. It is a work in progress here in California but definitely much more difficult due to the construction. Nothing to do with the hardware driving it all but much more to do with the limitations of the building I am working with. Luckily the NAS and audio gear are all close to where most of the network gear is so that part is at least a bit easier.

Just a note on the Motorola SB6141 modem. In some areas, Time Warner is providing upgraded speeds up to 300mbps and the the SB6141 has been limited to 100mbps. To get the top speeds, you need the new Motorola SB6183. This is only necessary if you want speeds over 100mbps. Just a note for future proofing!

And the SB6183 is on backorder as of this writing. For the time being, I have rented one from TWC to enjoy the new 300mbps speed. My SB6141 is on standby for back-up if needed.

For the record: the article uses the phrase "ethernet cable" 11 times, and "Audioquest Vodka" only 5 times in the article itself.

Since you responded with specific numbers, I'll point out that, apart from the mention of AQ Vodka CAT7 Ethernet cable in the network component list at the end, the article contains 10 occurrences of "Ethernet cable":

AudioQuest Vodka CAT7 Ethernet cable

AQ Vodka CAT7 Ethernet cable

Ethernet cable

Ethernet cables

AudioQuest Vodka CAT7 Ethernet cabled

AQ Ethernet cables

Ethernet cable

7 of the 10 follow the words "AudioQuest Vodka CAT7" or "AQ Vodka CAT7" or "AQ".

Also, all 5 photographs in the article are of Audioquest Ethernet cables, their boxes and the man from Audioquest installing the cables.

But I thought about Grey Goose Vodka at the same time as AQ Vodka so there is some dilution isn't there? geeeeeze..

I enjoyed the article... thank you

Since you responded with specific numbers, I'll point out that, apart from the mention of AQ Vodka CAT7 Ethernet cable in the network component list at the end, the article contains 10 occurrences of "Ethernet cable":

AQ Vodka CAT7 Ethernet cable

Ethernet cable

Ethernet cables

AudioQuest Vodka CAT7 Ethernet cabled

AQ Ethernet cables

Ethernet cable

7 of the 10 follow the words "AudioQuest Vodka CAT7" or "AQ Vodka CAT7" or "AQ".

Also, all 5 photographs in the article are of Audioquest Ethernet cables, their boxes and the man from Audioquest installing the cables.

I am preparing to upgrade my network.

Idea is: Cable modem - router with WiFi - managed switch

The managed switch wil be connected to my NAS (2 LAN cables) and audio PC.

I will not stream audio over WiFi so only the wired connection from NAS to PC (BeagleBone Black) is important.

If I opt for the Baaske isolator I guess I beter mount it between the router and switch avoiding the router to create additional noise on the critical network.

Every "digital" component is a potential noise generator. The less in the critical cuircuit from the switch and onwards the better I suppose.

WiFi will only be used for MPAD to controle the PC.

Any thoughts ?

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

I suspect I know the answer but I'll ask anyway.

Given that I have a modem, a router, and a switch, am I best off trying to get a linear power supply on all three items?

In order or priority, where would I likely see the most benefit among the three items in terms of applying a linear power supply?

Joel

Audioquest Vodka CAT7 Ethernet cable is $339 for 1.5m. Next jump is the Diamond model at $1,195.

Um, this extends the price range for Ethernet cable you might say. This was bound to happen when audiophiles began pollinating with digital audio. And, I don’t mean that in a bad way.

I’m more worried about the picture in the gallery of the guy pulling cable and standing on a chair. Get yourself a proper ladder or stepstool. If that’s you Chris, we want you to be safe!

Phil C

Win 10 laptop and JRiver22 (set to WASAPI) controlled remotely by JRemote on iPad Mini or iPhone> Belkin Gold USB cable > Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB to SPDIF converter> DH Labs D-75 digital coaxial cable > Benchmark DAC1 HDR with volume control> Cardas Golden Presence balanced interconnects > BSG Technologies QOL Signal Completion Stage > Cardas Golden Presence balanced interconnects > Music Reference RM-200 Mk II tube amp > Cardas Golden Presence speaker cables > Sonus faber Cremona M speakers.  Running Springs Haley power conditioner.

Hello, I am with Charter Cable at 60Mbps and use there modem, required to do so. So I use a Netgear N900 dual channel wireless router that I own, but I use a Powerline D-Link internet system for my audio. I run one the four Ethernet ports on the router to the powerline system. I find the system downstairs to sound very good. Of course the good Stereo is down there. Big 10" 3-way tower speakers, with a Oppo DVD player and intel NUC computer running Win 7 and JRiver software, right now using a cheap FiiO Dac, but I may get a Schitt or something similar soon. Files (I mean Albums) are kept on an external hard drive. Since the Wireless part of the router exists for our families laptop and smartphone, I am wondering if a Cisco switch or router would improve my system for the audio? Any ideas?

For the DIY guys / girls or if you can not put a cable with the RJ45 plug installed through the wall the same luxury connectors as the Vodka and Diamond cables are also available separate.

See the brand Telegärtner model J00026A2000.

The nice thing is you can install the plugs on the UTP cable without the need of a RJ45 crimp tool.

Foto-QCSSO6DF-D.jpg

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

My approach has been similar to Chris' (excepting the costly cables), in that I use a dedicated modem and separate network components. My network would probably have more separates but for an interesting experience with Apple network devices.

I, too, use Comcast as my ISP. The service is up to about 120Mbps on good days. I have a purchased, DOCIS 3, Arris TM822 modem. This provides a gigabit Ethernet output which feeds a gen 5 Airport Extreme. I have chosen to use the built-in router and switch and feed both of my Macs with Ethernet directly from that switch. The third port feeds a stand-alone switch that provides service to other devices such as printers, other computers and a remote Airport Express used to distribute music and extend the wireless network. This is via bulk CAT5E strung through the attic space. I use Ethernet when possible.

A note about the Airport Extreme. Before I purchased it, I had run through 3 or 4 different wireless access points from various manufacturers trying to find one that would work with AirPlay and the Airport Expresses. I use the AEX devices at several locations in the house for music distribution. I spent about a year trying to determine why the AEXes would drop their connection with Mac serving music. They would work for 1-2 hours and then go dead. Only a cold reboot would restore functionality. I finally purchased an Airport Extreme and all is well. I suspect there is something that is transmitted by the Airport Extreme that keeps the AEXes awake but haven't had the tools to confirm that. It was 100% repeatable, however, so I am sticking with the Airport Extreme.

I run the wireless network on a fixed channel at the end of the channel allocation on all bands. I don't have data that says this is better, but preventing the wireless AP from hopping around as it chooses seems like a good idea.

Once everything was running perfectly, of course, I decided I needed to upgrade beyond 16/44.1. I have a decent 2-channel system in my living room that I wanted to feed with high definition audio. Rather than moving the computer to the system, I decided to move the bits to the system and acquired an AudioEngine D2 wireless transmitter/receiver. For those unaware of it, it has digital and analog inputs on the transmitter and digital and analog outputs on the receiver. It runs a proprietary protocol on 2.4GHz to transmit 24/96 digital audio and is claimed to have the smarts to avoid local 802.11 network traffic. When it works, it's great.

In my case, this just didn't work reliably. Some days it work flawlessly. Other days, it cut out constantly. Apparently, because the wireless access point and AudioEngine transmitter were both in the same room. The only time the D2 worked without a problem is when I powered down the Airport Extreme. I spent a year trying various methods to prevent interference, but nothing reliably fixed the problem. This is no dig at AudioEngine. Their tech support was responsive and did their best to help, including replacing the original unit I bought. I have given this path up, although I really like the idea of being able to distribute 24/96 music wirelessly within reach of the wireless link.

I continue to use the Apple-branded network devices without an issue. My next step with getting 24/96 to the living room is through a digital audio CAT5 cable extender. This converts the digital audio to a format that can be transmitted over CAT5 ethernet cable and converted back at the receiver end. It's relatively inexpensive (~$110) if you already have the CAT5 in place. I don't know about the quality. That remains to be heard.

Jim

• 3 months later...

Chris - I'm late to this party, but just came across this article. I'm rather confused by the choice of using the AQ Vodka Ethernet cable for reducing the ground floor when your description of the setup indicates it isn't properly grounded. There are two primary reasons for using Cat7 in a setup such as yours; each twisted pair has more turns per inch which can eliminate crosstalk and interference better than cat5e or cat6 and cat7 has a lot of shielding to protect from RF and EM interference. However, in your setup you don't seem to be taking advantage of the shielding by not having either ethernet cable plugged into a device with a shielded jack that is connected to earth ground. From the Motorola cable modem through the Baaske MI to the Cisco SG-200-26, no where in this path is there a jack that gets tied to earth ground. So rather than providing shielding against RFI or EMI, you could actually be picking up more interference since this shield is now an antenna (I will admit, this highly unlikely and if it did occur would probably be addressed by the tight twists of Cat7).

What strikes me as odd is that someone from AQ helped you out with this and they never mentioned the importance of grounding!?!?

If you really want to reduce the noise floor across a link, drop copper altogether. A fiber connection is immune to RFI and EMI since there is no electrical signal across fiber. And you get the added bonus of electrical isolation - if one device gets zapped by a lighting strike, there's no chance of that voltage traveling across the fiber and hitting the other device. Based on a real quick search, the fiber options would cost at least half of using two AQ'S and a Baake - Eth to fiber adapters are sub $100 these days.

cmarcus

I'm revisiting this topic because I have a remodel in progress and I'm planning a wiring closet and new wiring in much of the house. I have always had the cable modem and Apple wifi router in my office. But what I want to do now is move the modem and router functions to the new closet, which will be in a new mudroom at one end of the house. Putting the wifi there would not be ideal, so I like Chris's design with WAPs hanging off the switch and placed in suitable locations within the house. A couple of questions for you networking experts:

If I put an Airport Express or Extreme on one of the Ethernet drops from the switch, can I use the additional Ethernet ports on the Airport? So, if I have one Ethernet drop in a room but need both the WAP and a connection to, say, a printer or NAS, can I make that printer or NAS connection off an open LAN port on the WAP or is that function disabled when the AE is not being used as a router?

If I can't use the AE this way, can I place a small switch in the room ahead of the WAP and the printer or NAS? Will it work and is there a downside?

How do you connect multiple WAPs so they are all on the same network?

Thanks!

Dan

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

I'm revisiting this topic because I have a remodel in progress and I'm planning a wiring closet and new wiring in much of the house. I have always had the cable modem and Apple wifi router in my office. But what I want to do now is move the modem and router functions to the new closet, which will be in a new mudroom at one end of the house. Putting the wifi there would not be ideal, so I like Chris's design with WAPs hanging off the switch and placed in suitable locations within the house. A couple of questions for you networking experts:

If I put an Airport Express or Extreme on one of the Ethernet drops from the switch, can I use the additional Ethernet ports on the Airport? So, if I have one Ethernet drop in a room but need both the WAP and a connection to, say, a printer or NAS, can I make that printer or NAS connection off an open LAN port on the WAP or is that function disabled when the AE is not being used as a router?

If I can't use the AE this way, can I place a small switch in the room ahead of the WAP and the printer or NAS? Will it work and is there a downside?

How do you connect multiple WAPs so they are all on the same network?

Thanks!

Dan

Yes, you can use the Ethernet ports on the WAP.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 7 months later...