IGNORED

Beyer T70 or 70P for Meridian Explorer?

I'm unable to demo so would like know if anyone has experience with either combos ? Thanks in advance.

Since nobody answered, I'll offer a best guess based on using several small USB-powered mini-DACs like the Explorer. Generally, the mini-DACs don't give as much of a sense of bass support as DACs and amps that are either mains-powered, or contain their own batteries. The T1 and T90 I've had are very treble-centric, and would do much better with a bassier amp, or valve (vacuum tube) amp. I assume the T70 series will be similar to the T90.

I'm unable to demo so would like know if anyone has experience with either combos ?

Thanks in advance.

I may try to offer a different perspective. I'm unfamiliar with both models but I do own an Explorer. Using it with Grado SR325 is (32 ohm) and lately trying a cheaper pair of Sennheiser (32 ohm as well). My Explorer is the revised version which has lower (5 ohm) output impedance on the headphone out and v1349 firmware. While the sound is detailed, very clear, distorsionless and even-handed, I think I could do with a bit more overall loudness. I assume this is not down just to its USB-power design but has to do with the headphones impedance as well. 'Most headphones work best when the output impedance is less than 1/8th the headphone impedance. So, for example, with 32 ohm Grados the output impedance can be, at most, 32/8 = 4 ohms.' I see that your choice is between T70 (250 ohm) and T70P (32 ohm). So this is something to consider. Just my 2 cents.

You may find the following useful:

NwAvGuy: Headphone & Amp Impedance