IGNORED

How do I get Jesus' list of DSD DACs updated ?

Hi All,

I spend a lot of time here trying to nut out the complexities of DSD - particularly over a network - and often come away more confused than I was when I got here. Many of us seem to be the nearsighted leading the blind - I'm sorry if that sounds blunt but it's the way I feel atm. One of the few definitive resources I know I can depend on is the SONORE DSD DAC listing.

I knew my Oppo and iFi DACs were there, but there seems to be a hole in the Marantz listings on that spreadsheet. Not sure why the iFi nano is included but the Sony PHA-2/PHA-3 havent been, but the Marantz components are full-sized DSD-capable hi-fi components.

Jesus has kindly included the Marantz NA-11S1 in the list, but there is no mention of my new toy the SA-14S1 or the spanking new NA8005 network audio player. I believe that Jesus and Ted Brady both pop into the forums from time to time - I'm hoping one of them can add these components. Note that Marantz claim DSD64 and DSD128 for the NA8005 but the woeful marketing documentation doesnt explicitly state that the SA14S1 can handle DSD128 - I can confirm that it does. Note that the flagship SA11S3 now has a USB input and shares the B-B DSD1792 chip used by the NA11S1 and SA14S1 - I didnt notice any reference to DSD file playback in the marketing but it was above my pay scale anyway.

I realise that the list is a labor of love and that Jesus and Ted have plenty to do without folk like me hassling them to update their databae - perfect world. the vendors would provide this advice, preferably in a parseable format such as RSS, but based on what I've seen from the Marantz marketing department I wouldnt hold my breath. Thanks in advance.

Ned

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

Yes, I pop in here from time to time (like 6-12 times per day). But I keep my Hugo from folks like you, so as to not get it smashed with a hammer. :)

Jesus started the DSD database began back when Mytek and a few others were hitting the market, and I offered to join him to help out (my first of three Myteks was Sep 2011, and Meitner not long after...then I was off to the races). We wanted to alert folks to this new category. At the time it was a place where folks could go to find a DSD DAC when the market majority was PCM-only, and when education about DSD was thin and full of misinformation (that last part hasn't changed enough). Now, in late 2014 99% of all newly introduced digital playback units (DACs, players, receivers, streamers, etc) have DSD capability. The database seems now both a dinosaur and is frankly, impossible to keep current. We drove the market into acceptance I guess. :)

So, the holes in the database are simply it's lack of being updated recently. There are over 50 new units that are not in the database. FIFTY! Your Marantz is not alone.

Yes, I pop in here from time to time (like 6-12 times per day). But I keep my Hugo from folks like you, so as to not get it smashed with a hammer. :)

Jesus started the DSD database began back when Mytek and a few others were hitting the market, and I offered to join him to help out (my first of three Myteks was Sep 2011, and Meitner not long after...then I was off to the races). We wanted to alert folks to this new category. At the time it was a place where folks could go to find a DSD DAC when the market majority was PCM-only, and when education about DSD was thin and full of misinformation (that last part hasn't changed enough). Now, in late 2014 99% of all newly introduced digital playback units (DACs, players, receivers, streamers, etc) have DSD capability. The database seems now both a dinosaur and is frankly, impossible to keep current. We drove the market into acceptance I guess. :)

So, the holes in the database are simply it's lack of being updated recently. There are over 50 new units that are not in the database. FIFTY! Your Marantz is not alone.

Thks Ted - I thought that might be the case. If one thing stands out about the current DSD 'debate' it's that so many of us seem to be floundering - I dont think it's helped by the marketing departments at several of the big manufacturers thinking they can just slap 'DSD' on a product blurb and it will sell millions of units. I sympathise with them on one front - looking at the doco Schiit put together on configuring the Loki for use with JRMC, Audirvana and F2K it soon becomes clear that trying to pass that on to a corporate helpdesk would be less than ideal. That said, I have no idea how they currently field some configuration questions given the complexity of modern HT receivers - a few more checklists re DSD configuration mightn't be too much to ask.

As for the Hugo, I havent smashed anything with a hammer and dont intend to - I particularly enjoy mine using the iDSD nano as a USB-SPDIF converter. Sure, I'm limited to PCM, but it's good PCM :D

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !