IGNORED

benchmark dac 2 in fixed output mode

i want to use the dac 2 with my preamp. how do i set up to fixed analog output. the two analog outputs are variable.

Don't own the DAC but I'll try to help.

HT – High Throughput Mode

Any digital input can be placed at fixed-gain in HT mode. In HT mode, the digital audio output is set to a fixed audio level. This mode is useful if the output is going to a stereo preamp. (Note: DAC1 users will find this function to be similar to the DAC1’s calibrated mode.)

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] MUTE[/TD]

[TD] Mutes or unmutes the DAC2. Hold down MUTE to toggle/untoggle the current input selected to Home Theater Bypass (DAC2 HGC and DAC2 L model only) or High Throughput Mode.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Thx a lot. It works

maybe worth saying that once you are in HT bypass mode, the volume control can seem to have a mind of it's own and may whirr around to the HT setting - for example after you've used a different input. This can be a little alarming. It is very alarming if you've set HT bypass by accident without realising!

By the way, being an owner, of course you are aware that DAC2 is actually an excellent preamp in its own right. Of course you may have sth very high-end or another reason to use a separate preamp but this is what Benchmark say about it:

'The bypass function should be enabled whenever a Hi-Fi preamplifier is inserted between the DAC2 DX and the power amplifier. However, for best performance, Benchmark strongly recommends connecting the DAC2 directly to the power amplifier. The DAC2 DX performs all the functions of a DAC and a Hi-Fi preamplifier - a separate downstream Hi-Fi preamplifier can only degrade the performance.'

By the way, being an owner, of course you are aware that DAC2 is actually an excellent preamp in its own right. Of course you may have sth very high-end or another reason to use a separate preamp but this is what Benchmark say about it:

'The bypass function should be enabled whenever a Hi-Fi preamplifier is inserted between the DAC2 DX and the power amplifier. However, for best performance, Benchmark strongly recommends connecting the DAC2 directly to the power amplifier. The DAC2 DX performs all the functions of a DAC and a Hi-Fi preamplifier - a separate downstream Hi-Fi preamplifier can only degrade the performance.'

i am still burning-in the dac 2 now. so far i prefer the sound going thru my mcintosh c2300 preamp.

i am still burning-in the dac 2 now. so far i prefer the sound going thru my mcintosh c2300 preamp.

Which is what - 3-4 times the cost of the DAC2? Besides, some people with less money and/or where space is at a premium may prefer the simplicity and the flexibility of the DAC2, adding, say, just a pair of nice headphones and/or a pair of Genelecs (G Four) - all set!