IGNORED

Paul Pang Black (or Red) SATA cable?

Just curious if anyone has used the Paul Pang Black (or Red) SATA cable? Though I greatly respect the opinions of those who believe an SATA cable cannot make a difference, please lets keep this thread limited to only those who have actually used either the Paul Pang Black or Red SATA cable.

Thank you!

(keeping my fingers crossed that this thread will stay on topic and not degenerate into another he said she said verbal diarrhea-fest)

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Just curious if anyone has used the Paul Pang Black (or Red) SATA cable? Though I greatly respect the opinions of those who believe an SATA cable cannot make a difference, please lets keep this thread limited to only those who have actually used either the Paul Pang Black or Red SATA cable.

Thank you!

(keeping my fingers crossed that this thread will stay on topic and not degenerate into another he said she said verbal diarrhea-fest)

Just the experiences of one listener. I recently upgraded my SATA to the Paul Pang red SATA cable. Truly an amazing difference! Honestly well beyond anything I was anticipating. The improvement I would characterize as on par with a good USB cable, and WS 2012 with AO. After careful listening, what I observed was a wider soundstage, much deeper bass, lower noise floor, more resolution, and better PRAT. The Paul Pang SATA cable was one of the most effective upgrades to my audio computer that I have experienced.

I'm using a CAPS v3 carbon, with SOTM USB card and RWA black lightning powering the main board and USB card. My DAC is the highly resolved EMM Labs DAC2X.

I would love to hear some users experience comparing the black to red version, given my experience I'm considering upgrading from red to black.

One note, the SATA cable continued to break in for over 400 hours following the usual break in pattern of sounding amazing for 10 hours then going dead for 300-400 hours with intermittent periods of beautiful music in between. Once you have climbed that mountain though it is a wonderful addition to the music.

Thank you for the reply! Just to be clear, are you running a single pc setup? Do you have music stored on the ssd or just the OS?

As an aside, I heard that supplying clean power to the ssd can give great results.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

JCAT Sata cable | JCAT | Forum | JPLAY - hi-end audio player for Windows

I support Dmelby's comments as well. I would also strongly consider slc SSD drive as well.

Emphase EX G3 2.5 inch SLC SATA SSD 120GB | G3XS3G120-2 | Logic Supply I purchased the 60 gb version. No more failures like I did with the Samsung.

Third is the aluminum block that Paul Pang sells for the SSD drive.

For me, music is off NAS, single PC and slc SSD for OS/software.

As I recall Black was designed specific for Jcat, for Jplay users and he recommended red for other users. However, politics could be at play here and this was over a year ago.

Yes, linear PS is ideal for SSD.

Thank you for the reply! Just to be clear, are you running a single pc setup? Do you have music stored on the ssd or just the OS?

As an aside, I heard that supplying clean power to the ssd can give great results.

:-) you're welcome, I wished this thread had been present before I purchased the cable, I was kind of nervous about it reading all the back and forth on whether it should help audio in a theoretical sense. Looking back, the purchase was a good one with a solid improvement in the music playback for (relatively) little cost.

I'm using a single PC with a SSD drive containing both the OS and music files. Someday I'll move to a dual PC set up, perhaps when Chris posts his CAPS v4 design next month.

And I've heard that too about battery power to the SSD. I'm now trying to figure out now how to best do that without building my own cables. If you know a good way let me know!...

I contacted Paul Pang directly about the difference between the red and black. He response was that the black was better. He said that if I needed a short SATA cable to go for the black and use the red for longer lengths. Not understand his logic. Now does the improvement in sound justify the difference in price? Who knows. That's purely subjective. I think I will go for the red one.

Other components:

Since I only need about 7" for my SATA cable I am going to go ahead with the Black cable. I hope it's as good as everyone says.

Other components:

Since I only need about 7" for my SATA cable I am going to go ahead with the Black cable. I hope it's as good as everyone says.

It is, you will be very happy with this cable, I sure was (and we have the same taste in USB cable - the fantastic lightspeed). But don't forget that the SATA cables take a long time to break in. I did find that copying huge folders back and forth sped that process up significantly compared to just playing music.

It is, you will be very happy with this cable, I sure was (and we have the same taste in USB cable - the fantastic lightspeed). But don't forget that the SATA cables take a long time to break in. I did find that copying huge folders back and forth sped that process up significantly compared to just playing music.

Thank you. Good advice on copying files instead of playing music. I will do that and report back.

Other components:

• 3 months later...
Thank you. Good advice on copying files instead of playing music. I will do that and report back.

Looking at getting a paul pang red or black sata, how are you getting on with the black?

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)