IGNORED

Whoa, paradigm

I have listened to no less than 60+ sets of speakers. I recently picked up a pair of paradigm studio 60 v3 for around $400...OMG!! For my price range, these things sound in a whole new level that I have never experienced before. I sold them as I really want bookshelf speakers, so I will probably be in market for some studio 20s, but just wondering if anyone else has heard paradigm and can offer other mfr/models in the same league/price. Others that I have listened to in the sub $600 price range are polk rtia3, psb, klipsch. I prefer older models so I can find better pricing...what name you?

I had a pair of Studio 100's, gave them to a friend of mine who is beginning into audiophilia.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

There was a post earlier about a preference for bookshelf or stand mounted speakers........something to consider. There's an inherent flaw in these types of system playing Fullrange with the midwoofer elevated....they suffer from an extreme suckout in the response between 200-300hz depending on the listening distance. It's a phase cancellation caused by the floor bounce content canceling out the direct radiation and due to the distance relationship with the wavelengths. Nearfield or close miked measurements don't show it, only at the listening position or real world conditions. These types of systems are far better served nearfield or at a console as in a recording environment or desktop. There's so much percussive dynamics lost its impossible to ignore. Using a sub doesn't help as the null is too far up for the subwoofer(s) to adequately supplement the loss. One can make the argument for a dislike of floorstanders but in reality, a bookshelf on a stand uses no less real estate.

I don't have space in my office.

I have 3 stereo setups...i have towers in my main living space, but i just wanted some bookshelves for my office.

Don't forget the little bookshelves from KEF, Monitor Audio, Definitive Technology, B&W if you are looking at used ones. I used a pair of Rogers LS3/5a bookshelf speakers on bookshelves for years and loved them. Don't worry about putting speakers there.

David

Don't forget the little bookshelves from KEF, Monitor Audio, Definitive Technology, B&W if you are looking at used ones. I used a pair of Rogers LS3/5a bookshelf speakers on bookshelves for years and loved them. Don't worry about putting speakers there.

Funny you mention the Rogers LS3/5A speakers. I picked up a pair of Spendor LS3/5A at a garage sale for $25, and that is partly what kicked me off back into music after being absent since the 70s. A little bit out of my budget and i sold them on ebay for $1000. Anyway, that is what got me really listening to music again. I have been buying/selling audio equipment for about 1 year now and listening to everything i buy. I really want to find the nicest sounding pair of speakers for my office that are around $300 or less, but so far i haven't found anything close to the paradigms in that range, and they are a tad bit more... Under $300 range i like a pair of infinity bookshelves best...but the hunt goes on....

Funny you mention the Rogers LS3/5A speakers. I picked up a pair of Spendor LS3/5A at a garage sale for $25, and that is partly what kicked me off back into music after being absent since the 70s. A little bit out of my budget and i sold them on ebay for $1000. Anyway, that is what got me really listening to music again. I have been buying/selling audio equipment for about 1 year now and listening to everything i buy. I really want to find the nicest sounding pair of speakers for my office that are around $300 or less, but so far i haven't found anything close to the paradigms in that range, and they are a tad bit more... Under $300 range i like a pair of infinity bookshelves best...but the hunt goes on....

Let me get this straight, you bought a pair of LS3/5a's for $25, they get you listening to music again which you hadn't done since the seventies, you sold them and now want to spend $300 or so on an inferior pair of speakers.

David