IGNORED

John Lennon Imagine on HDT this week

Any info from anyone? I'd like a good version of this. I have the CD (have to check which it is!)

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

I'm guessing it's the same master as the Universal DVD which came out a few months ago, as HDT says it is a 2014 release from Universal.

It has been only slightly volume compressed, apparently, so it should sound okay:

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

So, I'm in. I'll let you know what I think

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

This is from the Blu Ray disc.... Hope it helps.

Paul

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

foobar2000 1.3 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

log date: 2014-01-18 18:20:20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: John Lennon / Imagine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR10 -0.15 dB -11.65 dB 3:07 01-Imagine

DR10 -0.12 dB -11.22 dB 3:53 02-Crippled Inside

DR10 -0.13 dB -11.96 dB 4:18 03-Jealous Guy

DR11 -0.13 dB -12.63 dB 2:29 04-It's So Hard

DR9 -0.13 dB -11.16 dB 6:09 05-I Don't Wanna Be a Soldier Mama I Don't Wanna Die

DR10 -0.13 dB -11.23 dB 3:17 06-Gimme Some Truth

DR12 -0.17 dB -15.14 dB 2:50 07-Oh My Love

DR10 -0.12 dB -11.32 dB 5:39 08-How Do You Sleep?

DR11 -0.13 dB -13.85 dB 3:46 09-How

DR9 -0.13 dB -10.82 dB 4:19 10-Oh Yoko!

Number of tracks: 10

Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 96000 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 24

Bitrate: 3114 kbps

Codec: FLAC

================================================== ==============================

Stereo Source: Auralic Aries + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Surround Source: Windows PC

Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s, Anthem D2v

Speakers: ATC SCM50A (L/R/C), C4 (Sub), SCM20-2A (LR,RR)

Yes, I downloaded, and it is from the same master as the blu Ray.

I believe it is also based on the same remaster as the 2010 CD remaster.

Lennon's catalog has been done a few times. Yoko supervised remixes in 2002 - released on CD - which were also heavily volume compressed. Sound terrible, IMO.

The 2010 CD remasters were done by the Abbey Road crew and sound really good - only slight volume compression. For this album both the hi-res and the 2010 CD have a DR of 10.

I won't tell you there is a huge difference between the 2010 CD and this. I have both because I'm more or less a JL completist. If you've bought the 2010 CD and like it, this is not a "must have". If you have the 2002 or something earlier, either the 2010 CD or this download are very desirable alternatives.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Remix or Original Mix, that's the first question... As far for the Remix the MFSL would be hard to beat. For the Original Mix I see a chance that it can be better sounding than my old Japan CP32 (the one without Noise Reduction applied).

Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

My understanding is that the 2010 is the original mix, remastered. At least the booklet with it says only "remastered". Typically the Abbey Road team has done remasters and not remixes of all the Beatles/solo catalog material.

I think this one is the same. It sounds good to me, in any case.

The problem with MFSL and DCC albums is that when the limited license runs out they get very pricey on the secondary market, or you get illegal downloads.

I am a member of CA ;>},

Enjoy the music,

Richard

PS

I guess this is OT re thread title. Meant it as a service member to member.

On sale for two days at 15% discount with code IMAGINE at Pro Studio Masters, 96/24 AIFF/FLAC at John Lennon, Imagine in High-Resolution Audio - ProStudioMasters

Imagine

John Lennon

Billboard 200 - #1, 1971

"The title track is perhaps Lennon's most popular song, but there are plenty of other highlights ..." - Rolling Stone

"... an album of abruptly shifting moods and a sense of fun and mischief that were fated to never appear again within Lennon’s work. It’s this spontaneity and joy that makes Imagine Lennon’s most popular solo album, if not his best." - BBC Music

John Lennon Imagine PSM.jpg

My understanding is that the 2010 is the original mix, remastered.

Thanks for the info, firedog. Will download it...

Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Just saw on audiostream that all the JL original solo albums plus some compilations are being released this month in hi res. All digital remasters from the original mix.

• 2 weeks later...