IGNORED

iTunes help

Recently, I am getting this message when I try to add some files downloaded from the Internet and then added to iTunes, either by using the Automatically add to iTunes folder or dragging them into iTunes:

"Attempting to copy to the disk 'Music' failed. You do not have enough access privileges for this operation."

'Music' is on my Synology NAS.

I don't have a problem when I rip a disk from XLD into iTunes.

Sometimes adding the files works but I will get hundreds of copies of the same songs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Not sure why your methods don't work, but try using the menu option

File -> Add to Library...

That's how I always do it, have had no problems, so perhaps it will work for you.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Not sure why your methods don't work, but try using the menu option

File -> Add to Library...

That's how I always do it, have had no problems, so perhaps it will work for you.

Thanks. Still won't work though. It's thinking about it - but after ten songs or so, the error message appears.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

You're on a Mac, so try using Disk Utility and repair permissions on both the home drive and the synology.

In the distant past it, to fix a problem, it seems that I had to hit repair permissions multiple times. But that was maybe back in 2001. :-)

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

The problem seems to stem from third party websites: small labels, direct purchase

How do I fix the permissions on the synology?

How do I fix the permissions on the synology?

With an ordinary external HD, it shows up in Disk Utility and you can select it and the repair permissions.

If the Synology doesn't show up in Disk Utility... then dead end.

I seem to recall when doing the original formatting you can elect to have open permission on the external drive. I think that's how I have my firewire drives set up. Anybody can then read the data --- but for me it's just music files, so not a problem.

Also are the problematic 3rd party files in AIFF, WAVE, or ALAC? Just curious if the problem occurs with a particular file format.

Thanks, flatmap. All files from MP3 to wav and flax, etc.

Thanks, flatmap. All files from MP3 to wav and flax, etc.

iTunes will handle mp3 and wav, but won't be able to deal properly with flac format.

Use XLD to convert flac format files to something that iTunes can handle such as ALAC or AIFF.

Sorry, I was just trying to say that the problem doesn't discriminate by format.

Sorry, I was just trying to say that the problem doesn't discriminate by format.

That's too bad because trying to add flac files to iTunes would have been easy thing to fix. :(

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Sounds like some kind of permissions issue.

Is the Mac mounting the shared folder "Music" on the NAS using the correct login/password of the NAS? Does that user account of the NAS have read AND write permissions to that "Music" folder?

Try manually mounting that folder (command-K) and see what username it is logging in with - e.g. you likely DON'T want it to be Guest as that would be unlikely to have write permissions. The Mac needs permission to write as it needs to copy this new music to that Music folder.

Just guessing....

PS - The Synology is a network shared drive. You CAN'T use Disk Utility on it.

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

Sounds like some kind of permissions issue.

Is the Mac mounting the shared folder "Music" on the NAS using the correct login/password of the NAS? Does that user account of the NAS have read AND write permissions to that "Music" folder?

Try manually mounting that folder (command-K) and see what username it is logging in with - e.g. you likely DON'T want it to be Guest as that would be unlikely to have write permissions. The Mac needs permission to write as it needs to copy this new music to that Music folder.

Just guessing....

PS - The Synology is a network shared drive. You CAN'T use Disk Utility on it.

Thanks, occamsrazor. I will try (command-K) manually mounting the folder.