IGNORED

Copy/Paste iTunes folder....

Murph

Instead of reading the excellent instructions for moving an iTunes library to an external hard-drive, (which I found as I was browsing this site while my files were being copied!!) I used Windows Explorer and copied my entire iTunes folder (Library and music files etc) onto the external drive. Well, that took a while, but now it's all over there (I didn't erase the local files yet).

The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get iTunes to "point" to the new location....I've changed the location pointer of the music files in "Advanced" tab, but I'm guessing I need to do something with the Library. It appears if I try to consolidate Libraries now, it will copy the entire music file from the internal drive into the external drive location--duplicating the music files that are already there.

Is there an easy way to tell iTunes to go to the external drive for the Library and the music files ...or do I have to erase the files on the external drive and start over---this time using the "consolidate library" method?

Thanks!

Murph

If you are feeling brave ... you can open the iTunes Library files in a text editor, then use search and replace to change the old directory reference to the new directory.

Or if you don;t mind loosing some data such as play counts and date added, etc, you can just create a new iTunes Library and drag the files into it (ensuring that they are in their final location first).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Or just press "Apple" when you start iTunes... "Apple" or an another taste. Just google it, I did it when I move my library to an another harddrive.

Macbook 13.1\" - MAudio Firewire Audiophile - Profigold wire - NAD C 320 BEE - Triangle Comete 202 - Apple Nano 2nd Generation with Rockbox - Songbird - Spotify

"Or just press "Apple" when you start iTunes... "Apple" or an another taste. Just google it, I did it when I move my library to an another harddrive.""

I think that is only an option on a Mac, right? I'm (currently) running iTunes on a PC.

But none of those will solve the problem of having moved the Music Files without iTunes knowing you've moved them!!!!!!!!!

All clicking or clicking does is let you choose the Library you want to open.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

You also have the choice to create a new one, then copy the music files (oups ! i've almost said mp3...) in the created library and let itunes consolidate. Or re import all the files with a new library files. I give you this useful link :

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1589

Macbook 13.1\" - MAudio Firewire Audiophile - Profigold wire - NAD C 320 BEE - Triangle Comete 202 - Apple Nano 2nd Generation with Rockbox - Songbird - Spotify