IGNORED

Completely stumped

just

Been trying to build a CAPS like music server but cannot get this thing to boot up. I've gone through two DH87RL motherboards as I suspected the first was faulty.

Other components are a i7 4790T CPU, 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DIMMs a PicoPSU-160-XT PSU with a 120W 10A 12V AC Adapter in a Streacom FC5OD case. Also tried 150W 12.5A Adapter but the thing just wont boot.

I get the green standby led illuminated on the motherboard and the Power Button led illuminates and stays on when pressed on the case but no Video signal or motherboard beeping, It just wont turn on. Any help would be greatly appreciated, i've been trying to get this up and running for three weekends now feeling pretty gutted.

Been trying to build a CAPS like music server but cannot get this thing to boot up. I've gone through two DH87RL motherboards as I suspected the first was faulty.

Other components are a i7 4790T CPU, 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DIMMs a PicoPSU-160-XT PSU with a 120W 10A 12V AC Adapter in a Streacom FC5OD case. Also tried 150W 12.5A Adapter but the thing just wont boot.

I get the green standby led illuminated on the motherboard and the Power Button led illuminates and stays on when pressed on the case but no Video signal or motherboard beeping, It just wont turn on. Any help would be greatly appreciated, i've been trying to get this up and running for three weekends now feeling pretty gutted.

Bad Pico maybe?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I checked on the Intel website for compatible MoBo's for the i7 4790

Compatible Motherboards

and the DH87RL is not listed

I also checked for compatible CPU's for the DH87RL

Compatible Processors

and the 4790T is not listed

i believe the 4790 is optimized to work with hi powered PCI graphics cards and does not talk to MoBo graphics chipsets

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

It looks like Intel who are exiting the MoBo business will not be updating the BIOS of "87" series MOBO's to handle Haswell refresh processors such as the 4790 family

https://communities.intel.com/thread/53143

my incorrect speculation that the 4790 was optimized for gaming and external graphics cards was due to the large number of gaming oriented MOBO's which are compatible with the 4790.

Looks like you may need to get first generation Haswell CPU from the Intel compatibility list to work with your DH87RL

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

I'm quite familiar with the DH87RL board, as about 1.5 years ago I had the displeasure of working with a few pre-production board samples and ran into BIOS issues that caused the boards to not boot.

The symptoms you described sound similar to what I encountered. Depending on the board vintage you may need to update the BIOS to the latest. Since the board is not booting normally you will need to use the emergency BIOS recovery process. A jumper on the board has to be moved to do this.

i7-4790T is a Haswell "refresh" CPU, but its stepping (revision) is the same as last year's Haswell CPUs (e.g. i7-4770T) so I don't believe the i7-4790T should have issues with not being supported on DH87RL, especially with the latest BIOS installed.

Just last week I updated a couple of DH87RL boards to latest BIOS with an i7-4770S installed. Neither board had any bootup issues, but I noticed the very first power-up taking much longer than normal. It may have something to do with one-time memory training the BIOS does when it sees a new (or initial) memory configuration.

Another trick I've used to deal with boards that stubbornly refuse to boot: disconnect PSU and pull the 3V coin battery for 5 minutes. This produces a "total power drain" reset that can sometimes bring a board back to life. Modern Intel-based motherboards have an Intel Management Engine (ME) running in the chipset, and if the ME firmware is not running properly for whatever reason, the board can have bootup issues. For consumer grade motherboards, the ME can be more of a curse than a blessing.

• 2 months later...

I started a build project with DH87RL mobo + i5-4440 + Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB one pc + cooler Master PS B600. Now I tried with my Samsung LCD monitor using a DVI-I interface - no signal. The 8GB RAM worked from DIMM4 socket only and the green on-board LED lighted up, but with a lonnnnggg never ending whistle from the on-board speaker. I have not got any video, in all this.

Appreciate if any of you can give me some tips on making it work. I then can connect my WD Green 2TB HDD + LG DVD.

Rgds

Bala

I started a build project with DH87RL mobo + i5-4440 + Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB one pc + cooler Master PS B600. Now I tried with my Samsung LCD monitor using a DVI-I interface - no signal. The 8GB RAM worked from DIMM4 socket only and the green on-board LED lighted up, but with a lonnnnggg never ending whistle from the on-board speaker. I have not got any video, in all this.

Appreciate if any of you can give me some tips on making it work. I then can connect my WD Green 2TB HDD + LG DVD.

Rgds

Bala

what at is the model number of your Samsung LCD monitor ?

Have you checked that your memory module is on this list of compatible memory modules ?

Intel® Desktop Board DH87RL — System Memory

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

Appreciate your revert.

I used a Samsung B2230 LCD (first with DVI-I interface & later with VGA) - no response. After your comment tried with VX2263Smhl (Viewsonic) (HDMI first and then with VGA) - still no display. Only a lonnnnggg never ending whistle.

The RAM is in the list - Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2 / 8GB. I tried a working 2pcs of 4GB DDR3. Still no video and a longish whistle.

I read today in another forum that this motherboard has a video problem due to PS (due to Haswell something) and hence they had tried a separate video card. All I could lay hand were on a Galaxy-GEForce GT520 PCI card. I tried with that - Still no video and a longish whistle.

I need some serious help here. Anyway, Its midnight in India - Iam calling it a day. If you get some idea, please message me and Iam willing to try that.

Thanks again. Regards

Balaji

Appreciate your revert.

I used a Samsung B2230 LCD (first with DVI-I interface & later with VGA) - no response. After your comment tried with VX2263Smhl (Viewsonic) (HDMI first and then with VGA) - still no display. Only a lonnnnggg never ending whistle.

The RAM is in the list - Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2 / 8GB. I tried a working 2pcs of 4GB DDR3. Still no video and a longish whistle.

I read today in another forum that this motherboard has a video problem due to PS (due to Haswell something) and hence they had tried a separate video card. All I could lay hand were on a Galaxy-GEForce GT520 PCI card. I tried with that - Still no video and a longish whistle.

I need some serious help here. Anyway, Its midnight in India - Iam calling it a day. If you get some idea, please message me and Iam willing to try that.

Thanks again. Regards

Balaji

The BIOS of your DH87RL board may need an update. The challenge is how to get the board to boot to the point of being able to run through a BIOS update. I recall having better luck with the HDMI or DisplayPort connector than the DVI-I connector. I used an HDMI monitor and HDMI cable plugged into the HDMI connector, or the DisplayPort connector via a DP-to-HDMI adapter cable. You will need to experiment a bit to see which display configuration can yield a readable screen. Installing a discrete graphics card and connecting the display to it is also worth trying.

If you can get a readable screen, I recommend immediately updating the motherboard BIOS to the latest available from Intel's website. This can be done with the BIOS image file on a USB flash drive, and pressing F7 during boot-up.

Other than that, try re-installing the CPU and the DDR3 memory. Sometimes a bit of dirt (or excess thermal compound) gets into the tiny contacts of the CPU socket or the memory socket, which can wreak havoc on an otherwise healthy system.

The BIOS of your DH87RL board may need an update. The challenge is how to get the board to boot to the point of being able to run through a BIOS update. I recall having better luck with the HDMI or DisplayPort connector than the DVI-I connector. I used an HDMI monitor and HDMI cable plugged into the HDMI connector, or the DisplayPort connector via a DP-to-HDMI adapter cable. You will need to experiment a bit to see which display configuration can yield a readable screen. Installing a discrete graphics card and connecting the display to it is also worth trying.

If you can get a readable screen, I recommend immediately updating the motherboard BIOS to the latest available from Intel's website. This can be done with the BIOS image file on a USB flash drive, and pressing F7 during boot-up.

Other than that, try re-installing the CPU and the DDR3 memory. Sometimes a bit of dirt (or excess thermal compound) gets into the tiny contacts of the CPU socket or the memory socket, which can wreak havoc on an otherwise healthy system.

Hi

Thanks a million. I'll try this tonight. I have to go to work. Rgds. Balaji

Thanks for the info but I was under the impression that the 4790T was compatible with the DH87RL as they are the components that Hifidelit Computer Audio use in some of there Music Servers and HTPC's Streacom I7 4790T HTPC Silver

I did expect Intel/Asus/MSI to provide Haswell Refresh support so updated my builds, MSI and Asus both did but Intel decided not to despite some confusing notes with bios updates saying "updated processor support" at about the time HR CPUs came out - see some of the posts here:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/51470

I always liaise with the buyers of my servers and informed them the 4770T was being supplied until Intel updated their bios but in the case of the build you linked to there were no sales of it and I should have updated the product description much sooner.

Do you get some beeping when the board is trying to boot ?

here are the beep codes

Bios Error Codes; Bios Beep Codes - Intel DH87RL Specification [Page 73]

Appreciate your revert.

There is no beep. The motherboard light is on and the processor fan works. The earlier whistle has stopped, but. There are no beeps or blinks of front panel.

I read somewhere that the RAM I used Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GB (2X4) has a response time mismatch with the PS Cooler MasterB600. Do you have some idea on this.

Thanks and again appreciate your revert.

Bala

Have be you tried this ?

Another trick I've used to deal with boards that stubbornly refuse to boot: disconnect PSU and pull the 3V coin battery for 5 minutes. This produces a "total power drain" reset that can sometimes bring a board back to life. Modern Intel-based motherboards have an Intel Management Engine (ME) running in the chipset, and if the ME firmware is not running properly for whatever reason, the board can have bootup issues. For consumer grade motherboards, the ME can be more of a curse than a blessing.

You might want to try different HDMI monitors

good luck !

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]