IGNORED

Simple Networking advice needed

Can anyone help? I have my main PC upstairs, with lots of storage, and the HTPC downstairs. All I need to do is get the downstairs computer to read from the upstairs computer. What is the fastest and most reliable way I can do this? I don't mind spending money.

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

The irony is that you can only really get simple advice if you supply more detail / requirements in your actual questions.

OK. Sorry. I will try my best. The actual data being shared is flac (through jriver) and otherwise reading ripped movie files. So all it needs to do is read the mkv, or whatever, from upstairs and play on jriver downstairs.

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

hi,

several ideas :

- a long usb cable with repeater, you put several in series up to 30m. works great.

- powerlines... but not always reliable in term of stability

- wifi AC : 1 box next to each pc, communicating with each other. Can work if walls are not to thick.

Anyway you can have a good solution for low price, useless to spend high tech high audiophile high price stuff ;-)

Rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

Are you sure that's what the OP's asking for, 'cause I'm still unclear? For example, how does the USB connection help with "reading ripped movie files".

Also, if the OP's query is actually about obtaining a communications connection between the two computers to "read" "shared data", that's the "fastest" & "reliable", why haven't you mentioned the obvious of just using straight forward network using non high tech ethernet cables, router, etc?

Am I the only one that's confused here?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Are you sure that's what the OP's asking for, 'cause I'm still unclear? For example, how does the USB connection help with "reading ripped movie files".

Also, if the OP's query is actually about obtaining a communications connection between the two computers to "read" "shared data", that's the "fastest" & "reliable", why haven't you mentioned the obvious of just using straight forward network using non high tech ethernet cables, router, etc?

Am I the only one that's confused here?

They are both already connected to my router, with powerline Ethernet, so my question is essentially what is the most reliable and quick method of my PC downstairs being able to play stuff from the upstairs one.