IGNORED

My new setup (Sennheiser HD 700)

Just upgraded from the AKG Q701s to the Sennheiser HD 700 with the Music Fidelity V90 HPA amp, I was almost going to get the HD 800 but i went to a music studio showroom where they let me listen to a lot of headphones to decide. I was amazed and really pleased by the clarity of the HD 700s and the detail in the mids and the balanced tone. The soundstage was extremely excellent as well. I listened to the HD800s as well and it was hard for me to distinguish any major differences as both headphones sounded almost identical to the songs i listened to, the treble was nicer on the HD 800s though. I listened to some Grados but i just dont like how they fit on my ears and prefer the full ear cup around my ear. I am also amazed how comfortable the HD 700s were and are right now, They are so soft and light that you forget you are even wearing them. I am listening to my music through my macbook pro on iTunes with a USB connector going to the amp and the Music Fidelity V90 HPA really drive these headphones well. The sound quality coming from the iTunes music is excellent too. If you have any better ways for me to listen to songs like CDs please advise thanks

sen.jpg

Very nice post. And your photo is an advertisement for how simply one can build a high end system. Headphones and computer audio achieve top quality at reasonable cost.

Glad to hear that you like the HD 700s. They are overshadowed by the famous HD 800, and don't receive as much attention. Good to hear they are a positive step up from the AKG Q701s. I most often listen with my AKG K 702s and really like their clarity. Will some day audition both of these top Sennheisers.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

YMMV, but I wouldn't have gone for Musical Fidelity at that price point. There are excellent offerings from Schiit (the Modi/Vali stack) and iFi (Nano iDSD) that for me (with either HD800 or UERM) leave MF in the dust.

I'm also not a fan of the HD 700, but that's a common view among HD 800 owners, and everybody has to decide for themselves whether the additional cost is justified.

Enjoy your music with your new gear.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Regarding the Grados, I agree that the on ear is not the most comfortable design, but the G-Cush ear pads provide the full ear cup design and they provide a better sound as well. The trade off is if you wear eyeglasses with thick arms, then those don't work very well.

Headphones are always a compromise of sorts. I have the Senn HD800 on my short list of future headphones, but now your post has me intrigued about the HD700. Unfortunately, I don't have a way of conveniently auditioning headphones as the only dealer in town worth my time carries only Grados. I currently am listening with the PS500 and a parasound zdac.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Hi Lior

That's a very good, true audiophile ,set up you got yourself there.

I have more or less the same kind of set up; PC- RME Dac- Sennheiser HD800.

I also compared the HD 800 and the HD 700, but eventually went for the HD800.

I had a CD with some of my favorite tracks with me at the shop and almost went for the 700, but the shop owner then put on this album,

Torn%20v2%20300%20shadow.pngwhich I later have bought as a hi-res download, and that won me over.

There was just that bit more of a sense of depth and placement to the Sound Stage.

I have later learned from Head-fi forum website that the label use the HD800 for mixing and mastering, the sales guy did not mentioned that to me, he probably did not know or else I guess he would have told me but.. anyway....the HD 700'are great phones.

Here is a link to the label, if you are interested; Sound Liaison Music Shop

And if you like well recorded classical music, I find that this sampler from 2L makes for excellent Headphone Music;

HD7041888513520_185.jpghttp://www.hdtracks.com/2l-the-nordic-sound-2l-audiophile-reference-recordings-132352

Update: I am buying the Sennheiser HD800s, could not resist lol. Got them for a good price from Germany brand new. Does anyone have any recommendations for a portable amp with an iPhone so i can take them out and listen to them. Looking to spend max around 350 dollars or 250 pounds on a portable amp

• 2 weeks later...

I recently tried both my portables, Resonessence Herus and iFi Nano iDSD, with the 800. There are tradeoffs with both. Herus has plenty of power, but the 800 doesn't do anything to tone down the excesses of the Sabre chip in the Herus. Nano is better balanced across the FR, but lacks that last little bit of headroom for big full-orchestra passages.

The new Schiit Fulla may be out by the end of the month. US price will be USD 79. Haven't yet been able to verify that it will work with iOS devices via CCK.

Geek Stream looks promising, but who the heck knows when it will see the light of day.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Maybe I can help some here. The ifi dsd micro is a better dac an amp then the nano it pairs very well with the hd 700 or 800. Next if you have an iPhone buy the camera adaptor and onkyo hd. It the last player you will buy. It works fine and can play PCM and dsd wit the micro. The micro is about 500. Usd. The amp is very good the dac is very good and a bit warm so good paring with the hd 80

line. Check it out. Let me know .

al

I recently tried both my portables, Resonessence Herus and iFi Nano iDSD, with the 800. There are tradeoffs with both. Herus has plenty of power, but the 800 doesn't do anything to tone down the excesses of the Sabre chip in the Herus. Nano is better balanced across the FR, but lacks that last little bit of headroom for big full-orchestra passages.

The new Schiit Fulla may be out by the end of the month. US price will be USD 79. Haven't yet been able to verify that it will work with iOS devices via CCK.

Geek Stream looks promising, but who the heck knows when it will see the light of day.

Geek Pulse is coming soon, should be a good match to the HD700. I will try to audition one pair when I receive my geek!