IGNORED

Upgrading Laptop - Steps to Take

Jb26

Hi All,

I have an existing laptop in my system, but I think it's time for a change. It runs very hot, and very loud (fan), and I can try to get it serviced but expect it's on the way out, it is 7 year old. The battery is also dead.

It has a SSD in it, only 2 years old, which runs a Server2012-Audio Optimizer-JRMC set up on it that I really like. It also dual boots to Win7 with audio programs on it for ripping etc.

Essentially, the SSD is exactly as I want it and I expect to migrate it to the new laptop and ditch the HHD inside the new laptop (not expecting to buy a new one with SSD inside).

Ideally I'd like to remove the SSD from the old laptop and drop it into the new laptop. What limits this from happening? Drivers? Am I better placed cloning the new HHD onto the SSD, losing settings, then reloading it the SSD as I want it with the new computer's drivers etc? Alternatively, am I likely to be able to get my old laptop serviced to a point that the fan isn't blowing high all the time?

Cheers,

James

You may want to consider loading everything onto a new laptop using Windows 7or 8 (or 10!) only.

Mind you, I have no experience with Windows Server 2012 so can't comment on what advantages it might provide. I can tell you that I run a Windows 7 32 bit laptop and another with 8 64 bit - both with JRMC 20 and both give great performance and sound quality.

I think it's important to have the latest ASIO drivers for your hardware, that will give you the cleanest audio path.

Older hard drives with newer laptops or PC's need to be supported both with the BIOS and the operating system. An older drive with a driver specific to an earlier operating system may not have an update for a later operating system.

Hope this helps....

If the SSD is the boot drive then I'd definitely recommend a clean Windows install on the new machine. You'll have to do the research to verify that whatever laptop you choose is compatible with your SSD. You can also buy an external USB 3.0 enclosure for the SSD rather than disassembling and possibly voiding the warranty on new hardware.

Hi All,

I used to run Win7 on the laptop, but got onto this: https://www.highend-audiopc.com/ and found the improvement of running WinServer12+AO substantial.

Hence, I would like to keep the set up while migrating to a new laptop. The SSD is only 18 months old.

In an ideal world I'd like to be able to just drop it in to the new laptop.

Is this not possible? Will drivers be an inhibitor to the easy option?

If not I'll have to clone the new laptop's HDD onto the SSD, then install WinServer12+AO on a second partition with JRMC 20.

Appreciate advice on whether the easy path is possible or not.

Mrvco - I'm keen to have the SSD internal to the laptop, and am willing to risk the warranty.

Moving a hard drive from one laptop to another can easily result in a blue screen crash. This is because the Windows installation on the hard drive sees a different storage controller on the new laptop during boot and does not have a supporting driver ready to go. The error is typically STOP 0x7b "inaccessible boot device".

One solution involves preparing the Windows installation for the new storage controller while the drive is still connected to the old laptop. With Windows 7 this is relatively straightforward. Entries for the new storage controller are added to the registry. With this type of migration it is best to rely on Windows built-in (inbox) storage drivers, at least until the laptop can get past the STOP 0x7b crash.

I have done this dozens of times over the years. There are other techniques that work also.