IGNORED

Help me understand embedding artwork and the use of fodder.jpg or cover .jpg within the file

mwheelerk

My method of embedding artwork with the file began by using the Get Info function of iTunes. When I began using XLD to do my rips I simply dragged and dropped my cover art into the artwork box of XLD. For various reasons I have kept a master copy of each cover art in a folder on my Mac Mini.

My method for verifying that the artwork had been embedded was simply to go through Finder to my Music Folder and follow that to the particular artist/album I was working with and selecting a song. If it appeared with the artwork in the next column it was embedded. If it had the gray musical note next to it the artwork had not been embedded.

Recently I have been been trying dbPoweramp for Mac for ripping. When using this tool and using the same selection/adding artwork method as I always have the artwork does appear to be embedded but also with the album Folder Is a file of the artwork named folder.jpg and I have read of others using cover.jpg.

What at is the function or need for this folder.jpeg. Is there is a beneficial purpose to having it there and would this essentially replace the artwork archive I have maintained by myself.

Any my insights and advice as to the reason and use of folder.jpg with the album Folder is appreciated.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
What at is the function or need for this folder.jpeg. Is there is a beneficial purpose to having it there and would this essentially replace the artwork archive I have maintained by myself.

I think the short answer is that if you already have the album art embedded in your music files, you don't need to worry about folder.jpg or cover.jpg, etc.

A number of different applications recognize folder.jpg (and cover.jpg, etc.) files as being the cover art, mostly, I think, as a means of displaying or subsequently embedding artwork, if it's not already embedded.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I think the short answer is that if you already have the album art embedded in your music files, you don't need to worry about folder.jpg or cover.jpg, etc.

A number of different applications recognize folder.jpg (and cover.jpg, etc.) files as being the cover art, mostly, I think, as a means of displaying or subsequently embedding artwork, if it's not already embedded.

--David

Well, that was simple enough. Thank you. So for the couple of rips where I have the folder.jpg in the Album Folder I can simply delete those. Is there an option within dbPoweramp so that the folder.jpg would not be created?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa