IGNORED

So, does Windows 10 have native USB Audio Class 2.0 Support?

I would love to hear more about this too. I bought a signage computer with a licence for windows 7 embedded but I have been using pro. At the time it seemed to me an ideal setup to use embedded for audio for the reasons you have mentioned but I couldn't find any info and my skills are limited.

I would love to hear more about this too. I bought a signage computer with a licence for windows 7 embedded but I have been using pro. At the time it seemed to me an ideal setup to use embedded for audio for the reasons you have mentioned but I couldn't find any info and my skills are limited.

Well I just started playing with it and about 200-300 hours later I have it to where it is today. I don't think you could get better with Windows for audio purposes.

Any ideas of where it would be worthwhile to start playing?

I'm actually using embedded 8 which is different. Also I have my system fine tuned for the specific application's I run. It's also configured to operate completely headless. I don't even have any HDMI/video port on it. Just turn it on wait about 10 seconds, and it's ready to produce beautiful sound. I completely control it via mobile app. So in your case it would depend on exactly what you want to run etc.

Absolutely. ASIO driver for my DAC plus KS through JPlay = heaven. At least once I got it working properly :)

Server2012 though, hopefully Win10 can do what 2012 does in that regard, it's something special.

Hey George, did you see my apology thread to you over in the Music Servers thread?

I missed it at first (I didn't realize that "William Graves" referred to me), but yes I saw it, finally and responded!

George

So Windows 10 was released and native USB Audio 2.0 support was not added. Very disappointed....

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Very interesting, never heard of such a thing. After my revelations today, I need to seriously rethink building a more customary PC, and relegating my audio PC to core mode, and choosing my music through my iPad. I thought I was tapped out on better sound. I was wrong.

So far, we're getting generally good reports on Windows 10.

You will get a lot of "advice" on fine tuning Windows for audio here, but it is mostly hearsay information passed from one person to another.

Any consumer version of Windows will normally be fine for audio with no modification needed. Occasionally there are problems, but they are usually not subtle and usually easy to fix.

This is not a popular view on this site, but do a little reading and you'll find what you need. Hydrogenaud.io will offer a completely opposite viewpoint from the window-tweakers mindset here. Whatsbestforum.com is somewhere in the middle. Head-fi.org is also good.

Stand by for a scrum.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

You will get a lot of "advice" on fine tuning Windows for audio here, but it is mostly hearsay information passed from one person to another.

Any consumer version of Windows will normally be fine for audio with no modification needed. Occasionally there are problems, but they are usually not subtle and usually easy to fix.

This is not a popular view on this site, but do a little reading and you'll find what you need. Hydrogenaud.io will offer a completely opposite viewpoint from the window-tweakers mindset here. Whatsbestforum.com is somewhere in the middle. Head-fi.org is also good.

Stand by for a scrum.

Hi Jriver - with all due respect, and just to say for the record - I have paid for, use it every day, and generally love your software. I stream lossless to my car and connect via bluetooth, I was even streaming from my home library at work but network issues were just too much for that use case. I am taking an external drive with my library on it to work tomorrow for my headphone setup.

However, in my room in the basement, one I've gone to painstaking lengths to make it as neutral, transparent and most importantly - quiet as possible, I will say that I have found a difference, and a favorable one after the install of Audiophile Optimizer. I've also experienced the playback ability of Bughead Emperor which, while tangibly better than other software I've used, just loses so much in the way of the user experience that I will trade a giant gob of convenience for an incremental gain in SQ. I will not go into detail on my Jriver setup as I am sure you would get upset but, to my ears, I do prefer it over the options I've used in vanilla JRiver. I've also heard a noticeable improvement in my system from the Regen, and then again after going to an R2R DAC. Going from W7 Ultimate to Server2012 R2 was a revelation to me, I was honestly floored it made ANY difference, let alone such a positive one.

It is for all the reasons above - and most importantly in the spirit of tweaking and tinkering, things that make this hobby go - that I feel like a purpose-built audio PC is a positive step. I have that now and love it, but if I'm going to make a powerful gaming machine, I feel that is better left to a different chassis. After all, look at reviews and user experiences for things like Sonore Rendu and the Aurender N10 and above - they all compare favorably to PCs yet they're reading from the exact same "bits" on disk and are streaming to a DAC, just the same as a PC, but they have noticeable improvements.

I fully admit there is too much snake oil and not enough brass tacks in this hobby but it is my personal experience that even subtle tweaks to the OS and surrounding PC parts can improve sound by eliminating noise and cutting down on the amount of "work" the PC has to do with regard to audio playback. Call it voodoo, call it all in our heads, but at the end of the day I prefer it, and will do what I can to see how far the rabbit hole goes.

And lastly - thank you for JRiver. I've said all along that I will continue along a path that allows me to use Jriver because of how familiar and happy I am with it. That is not to say it is perfect out of the box, but it's a wonderful tool, to me.

Kind regards,

Todd

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

Stand by for a scrum.

The JPlay forum is also a good place to find info on OS/Hardware/software tweaks.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

• 1 month later...

Stand by for a scrum.

Thank you for stating your point of view in a clear, yet moderate and balanced way. Unlike some of your previous posts. Much more effective. Please keep it up.

And I do mean this as a compliment, and not as a snarky comment.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 1 year later...

So, after more than 7 years, the latest Windows 10 update (still in beta) now supports USB Audio Class 2.0 Support.

It happened a while ago it seems (I pretty much lost a lot of interest in audio in general. So I am kind of slow...)

Perfectly timed, USB-IF then announces USB Audio Class 3.0.

Well, unlike USB Audio Class 2.0, I hope Microsoft would take a sweet time implementing USB Audio Class 3.0, since the pretty much main focus on 3.0 is putting DRM on data.

But since how corporations really love DRM, I expect that unlike 2.0 situation, I fully expect that 3.0 will be implemented in lightening speed.

(Well, it is no secret that the sole reason why Microsoft decided to implement USB Audio Class 2.0 support is to implement 3.0, which would allow DRM transmitted data. This just disgusts me to no end.)

So, after more than 7 years, the latest Windows 10 update (still in beta) now supports USB Audio Class 2.0 Support.

It happened a while ago it seems (I pretty much lost a lot of interest in audio in general. So I am kind of slow...)

Perfectly timed, USB-IF then announces USB Audio Class 3.0.

Well, unlike USB Audio Class 2.0, I hope Microsoft would take a sweet time implementing USB Audio Class 3.0, since the pretty much main focus on 3.0 is putting DRM on data.

But since how corporations really love DRM, I expect that unlike 2.0 situation, I fully expect that 3.0 will be implemented in lightening speed.

(Well, it is no secret that the sole reason why Microsoft decided to implement USB Audio Class 2.0 support is to implement 3.0, which would allow DRM transmitted data. This just disgusts me to no end.)

Yes, digital audio has been blessedly and mostly free (compare to say video) of DRM up until now. In the future, we will be seeing a more concerted effort by "the industry" on all levels because as you say DRM is built into the mindset and the industry grants DRM more weight than it deserves. IMO, there will be a bit of a backlash and a loose DRM free digital audio community will form up to keep consumers informed as to the DRM aspects of products (formats, hardware, software, specs such as USB - everything) and how to avoid them...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

• 2 weeks later...

The latest Insider Preview of Windows 10 now offers USB Audio Class 2.00 support.

AO 2.10 Beta 6 will bring USB Audio 2.00 to Windows Server 2016 (incl. Core) very soon :-)

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide