IGNORED

Benchmark Dac2 HGC - Problems - Shall I use something other than USB?

I am running into problems with my Benchmark, in that it won't connect properly from a cold boot, meaning that if both computer and it are off, when I turn them both on (doesnt matter which order), the benchmark wont play. Only once booted, and then reboooted, does it allow me to play.

With all the issues with USB, plus my concern that plugging a 2.0 max device into a 3.0 socket is less than ideal, I am considering therefore coaxial. How does that work with a PC as my transport?

Thanks!

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

Are you using it in USB Audio Class 1 or Class 2 mode?

WASAPI or ASIO?

Have you tried disabling the power saving mode in the driver control panel?

If you switch from USB to S/PDIF, I would suggest TOSLINK (Optical) instead of coax if you are connected to a PC. That way there is no electrical connection between it and the DAC.

Are you using it in USB Audio Class 1 or Class 2 mode?

WASAPI or ASIO?

Have you tried disabling the power saving mode in the driver control panel?

If you switch from USB to S/PDIF, I would suggest TOSLINK (Optical) instead of coax if you are connected to a PC. That way there is no electrical connection between it and the DAC.

Thanks Skeptic. ive realised it is perhaps better to just leave on stand by rather than off? This gets around these issues. I have removed all power saving modes, even on the usb bus in device manager. What is class 1 and class 2? I have found ASIO is the only format which allows me to play a range of resolutions, otherwise wasabi just follows the window setting and rejects anything else.

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

If you're using the Benchmark drivers with ASIO, then you have it in USB Class 2 mode.

Class 1 is the "driverless" mode which only supports up to 24/96.

You can hold down the USB button on the remote for a few seconds for it to switch. The 2x (Class 1) or 4x (Class 2) LED will flash to indicate the mode.

I always have my DAC in "standby" rather than switching it off.

As far as I can tell, standby just mutes the output and switches the LEDs off.

I do still have the occasional time when the DAC refuses to play anything and either it or JRiver has to be restarted - though I just hold down the USB button and switch it between USB Class 1&2 modes rather than switch it off and on again.

My PC is never off though and I also have the USB power saving options disabled so I don't know why it happens. JRiver seemed to think it was a driver problem based on the logs.

I have found ASIO is the only format which allows me to play a range of resolutions, otherwise wasabi just follows the window setting and rejects anything else.
You need to use WASAPI Exclusive for this.

You must be using a non-exclusive output.

I am running into problems with my Benchmark, in that it won't connect properly from a cold boot, meaning that if both computer and it are off, when I turn them both on (doesnt matter which order), the benchmark wont play. Only once booted, and then reboooted, does it allow me to play.

I do still have the occasional time when the DAC refuses to play anything and either it or JRiver has to be restarted - though I just hold down the USB button and switch it between USB Class 1&2 modes rather than switch it off and on again.

My PC is never off though and I also have the USB power saving options disabled so I don't know why it happens.

I have never seen any problem like these with a Mac Mini connected (USB 2) to my Benchmark HGC. Haven't noticed any significant turn-on thumps with a direct connection (XLR) to my Marsh amp either... Really haven't had any problems with the 3 different Benchmark DACs I've owned, that weren't user error or other device problems :)

I feel sorry for people who have to deal with Windows music servers (drivers, registry, etc.) :(

I am running into problems with my Benchmark, in that it won't connect properly from a cold boot, meaning that if both computer and it are off, when I turn them both on (doesnt matter which order), the benchmark wont play.

Are you sure those problems are related to the DAC2 itself and not to something else? Perhaps the OS or the software used? Have you tried to contact Benchmark Media regarding your problems?

I feel sorry for people who have to deal with Windows music servers (drivers, registry, etc.)

Condescending remarks like this really contribute to any thread. :(

I wouldn't trade my setup for an Apple server, nor would I expect any of the many thousands of Windows users enjoying outstanding sound quality from their music servers to do so.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Condescending remarks like this really contribute to any thread. :(

I wouldn't trade my setup for an Apple server, nor would I expect any of the many thousands of Windows users enjoying outstanding sound quality from their music servers to do so.

Thank you Allan for your post..... I also think that the Mac Windows Basher's as well as the Windows Mac basher's should keep their opinions to themselves. I use both.....

Victor

I also think that the Mac Windows Basher's as well as the Windows Mac basher's should keep their opinions to themselves.

Agreed. I wasn't bashing Macs, but merely expressing no reason to consider them when Windows works very well for me.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron