IGNORED

Couperin's Apotheoses by A. Beyer: 88.2 or 96kHz?

I would like to buy Amandine Beyer's and Gli Incogniti's very recent recording of Couperin's Apothéoses, which is available in high-res from eClassical and Qobuz.

However, I am troubled by the fact that this download is advertised as:

Would any of you have bought and be kind enough to share with me which resolution you effectively got?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Boris75,

The eClassical version actually downloads at 88.2kHz.

eClassical is careless about reporting resolution of downloads, often failing to report that files they advertise as high-res are only 24/16kHz, though they charge a premium price for them--and often one doesn't know what one gets until after the purchase.

Alas, the much more reliable and interesting Qobuz is not available in North America, so I must defer to eClassical or do without.

Qobuz via Aurender N10 > Devialet Expert Pro > Audio Physic Avantera

eClassical is careless about reporting resolution of downloads, often failing to report that files they advertise as high-res are only 24/16kHz

You probably meant 24/44. Many BIS recordings were made in that resolution, and this information is provided on eClassical.

As I understand it, what eClassical reports as the "Orig. sample rate" is also the resolution of the files. They did an error here, but it's hardly false advertising (deliberate misinformation in order to make more sales) when 88kHz files are indicated as 96kHz.

Claude

Claude,

Yes, my error; I did mean 24/44. Thanks for the correction.

The operative word in my comment was "careless", no implication of intent to deceive.

I think the buyer has a right to know whether the horse has all its teeth.

Could you provide an example of that? If I'm not mistaking, when something is 44/24, they'll say "Orig. sample rate 44100Hz" on the album page. One example would be BIS' version of Couperin Apothéoses by London Baroque. They seem to be quite consistent with that.

Many thanks for the piece of information. I'll buy it from them then as their price is quite below Qobuz'.

PLease report back on the recording.

I've had mixed feelings about Amandine Beyer in the past, e.g. her 4 seasons is just not my cup of tea, plus the sound is really harsh to my ears. However, this album has received some great reviews, so I'm certainly curious.

I am listening to it right now. It is certainly purist: the strings sound a bit scratchy, and the hall has very little reverb, almost none at all really, so there is not much in the way of sweeteners. Thankfully, Carpentier's music is really beautiful, and they play it accurately and with energy, so it is quite pleasant to hear.

I am listening to it right now. It is certainly purist: the strings sound a bit scratchy, and the hall has very little reverb, almost none at all really, so there is not much in the way of sweeteners. Thankfully, Carpentier's music is really beautiful, and they play it accurately and with energy, so it is quite pleasant to hear.

Carpentier?

PLease report back on the recording.

I've had mixed feelings about Amandine Beyer in the past, e.g. her 4 seasons is just not my cup of tea, plus the sound is really harsh to my ears. However, this album has received some great reviews, so I'm certainly curious.

I like it very much, but then, I also loved the "Four Seasons" - that astringent but lively quality is just my cup of tea for this repertoire.

FWIW, I like this one even better than "Four Seasons" or the Bach "Partitas" - Couperin being a recent obsession ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I guessed, but just wanted to ensure.

Thanks for sharing your description, the "scratchy" part is really pretty much what I don't like about her four seasons.

BTW, little off topic about it, but anyone tried the another release but on CCS by Rachel Podger - Perla Barocca? From the snippets it sounds fantastic!

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

One time I downloaded an album at eclassical that was advertised as 24/96 but was actually 24/44.1, and so I sent an email to point out the inaccurate information. Their response was to give me a free download of a Charpentier album and remove the sample-rate information from the listing of the album I'd downloaded earlier. The information seems more reliable with BIS releases than other labels.

One time I downloaded an album at eclassical that was advertised as 24/96 but was actually 24/44.1, and so I sent an email to point out the inaccurate information. Their response was to give me a free download of a Charpentier album and remove the sample-rate information from the listing of the album I'd downloaded earlier. The information seems more reliable with BIS releases than other labels.

Exactly same experience here. Am now proud owner of a 24bit Jacobean Lute Music (quite nice actually) due to their mislabeling on one album I bought. Great customer service!