IGNORED

Group Buy for full ATX Linear PSU from Teradak

Ben-M

Hi Ben-M,

Thanks for your reply. Your explanation are well accepted that L-PSU blasted off SMPS even with higher number of ripple noise.

Let me put it in very simple way, the situation is almost like this:

Me: Hey Teradak, do you sell Linear PSU for PC? What's the ripple noise by the way?

Teradak: Yes we do sell ATX 210 and it comes with ripple noise of 3.51mV.

Me: Okay that sounds very great. But I might need a bigger model, do you have that? And what's the ripple noise for that model?

Teradak: Yes we also have ATX 275 in sale if you need a bigger wattage for your PC and it comes with ripple noise of 18.3mV

Me: huh??? *confuse

Please do ask why it shoot up like that, why can't ATX 275 and ATX 350 have similiar performance to ATX 210? Specifically in terms of ripple noise.

Well adding GPU options is because some of my collections are BluRay Music Videos.

Yes its gonna be harmfull for serious audio listener, but i am on a different path from anyone else ;-)

Anyway i can always switch it to onboard GPU and plug off GPU card anytime when doing audio. I just want an extra options for my system and not limiting my collection to audio only. Try JRiver with MadVR codec for video, it consume your GPU like a black hole... but of course it produce the best video!

I don't know that ripple follows any kind of linear/straight line/bit-by-bit style of progression across any PSU's power range. It may do so with the Corsair you've showed, and other well regulated ATX SMPS's, but I don't know that it's the same for multi-rail L-PSUs being used in computers.

Also, I know that L-PSUs can have low ripple, but I can't agree that they typically have 1mV or even less. If that were the case I'd have flown down to Shenzhen and shot Michael when he tried to trick me with an L-PSU that functioned with 1.44 at it's lowest draw, 2.5 at medium draw, and 18 at higher draw...

I can contact Teradak and see if their engineers can say why the ripple seems to shoot up when they hit that range of draw, but I have a feeling that they're not going to have a clear answer for me. Even if they did, I'm not sure how it would even translate to "oh, ok, that should be fine, it'll still sound great" or "oh, that's too bad, that's not going to sound good in my PC because it happens that way". That's over my head.

Now ever if they did know why, I am 100% positive they will not have experience in testing how their ripple spike L-PSU sounded vs. the Super Flower/Corsair/'audiophile approved low ripple ATX SMPS'. It's just not in the cards.

@ben-m

Thx for the update. 70% efficiency is very good for linear and the ripple is ok for my purpose (about 75w needed). If the regulation is at least same as good, you'll have another order.

And sry if I inadvertently started the lpsu vs. smps discussion. I know that a similarly specced lpsu is normally way better than the smps counterpart... the only purpose of that (rather unfortunate) picopsu sample was the price comparison: a $500 lpsu should be at least comparable in terms of specs with a $100 pico combo.

Also, didn't know that so few psu vendors provide good specs ... the seasonic fanless platinum I use for the server came with a booklet that stated eff/reg/ripple (iirc, something like 90+/2%/20mA) ... guess I was just lucky :)

Anyway, many thx for the effort and hoping to hear some good news about regulation soon.

P.S.

Most prolly my server will stay with the seasonic psu. It's very stable, totally silent and at 90+ efficiency perfect for 24/7 use...plus, redoing the power cabling in the server case is just too much work :).

Guess I'll just add a cheap filter or isolation transformer to make sure that the smps noise does not go back into the mains.

@ben-m

And sry if I inadvertently started the lpsu vs. smps discussion. I know that a similarly specced lpsu is normally way better than the smps counterpart... the only purpose of that (rather unfortunate) picopsu sample was the price comparison: a $500 lpsu should be at least comparable in terms of specs with a $100 pico combo.

Also, didn't know that so few psu vendors provide good specs ... the seasonic fanless platinum I use for the server came with a booklet that stated eff/reg/ripple (iirc, something like 90+/2%/20mA) ... guess I was just lucky :)

Anyway, many thx for the effort and hoping to hear some good news about regulation soon.

Yeah, Seasonic is not your generic PSU maker, even if they are not small time. They're definitely on the leading edge in many different ways.

As for the regulation, according to Teradak, if you take the ripple and divide it by the applicable voltage rail, then multiply by 100, that should give you your % of regulation(deviation from perfect voltage). So I guess you've got what you need to find your answers :-)

Hey Guys, an important update here.

Teradak was having some issues with their production schedule, so Michael and I had to find a new answer for the closing date of the Group Buy. We're going with a 2 tiered approach.

For some of you, this may be very good news :-D

Tier 1: Group Buy closes at the end of next week, Oct. 25th. I will forward Teradak all Group Buyer information and they will tell me about shipping costs and what our final payments are. I will then forward this information to you guys and you will pay Teradak via Paypal soon afterward. Payment will likely be due by the end of October.

****We need to exceed 10 units in this stage to get the custom, sand-blasted colour.****

Tier 2: Stage 2 will close at the original date, Nov. 30. Again, I will forward Teradak all remaining Group Buyer information and they will tell me about shipping costs and what our final payments are. I will then forward this information to you guys and you will pay Teradak via Paypal soon afterward. Payment will likely be due by December 7th.

****We need to exceed 10 units again in this stage to get the custom, sand-blasted colour.****

*The custom colour can only be ordered from their supplier in batches of 10 or more. Let's hope we get enough people in at least the first stage to guarantee that.

Overall things haven't changed much, and really it looks like we'll be able to get our units A LOT sooner than before.

And guys, there are a BUNCH of you who haven't given me your information yet. Now that we've got a new crunch time, we're really down to it. I'll be PM'ing everyone who hasn't given me the info listed in post #1 yet. For your convenience, this is it.

""

3. You also need to PM me a few specific things:

(i) Your name and address

(ii) Which version (ATX 210/275/350) you want

(iii) How many units you want

(iv) What your voltage requirement is (120v or 230v)

(v) Whether you want (A) 3 x SATA or (B) 2 x SATA + 1 x MOLEX, from the regulators

(vi) Confirm you’re aware of the additional shipping costs that I will tell you later

""

You can give it to me before I PM you for it too ;-)

Hi Ben,

I'm interested to ATX210.

You have a PM.

BR/

Massimiliano

Server: CAPS Zuma, SOtM tX-USBexp PCI, JCAT SATA & Battery for OS SSD

SW: Win 8, JRiver+JPlay+Dirac Live, Fidelizer, CAD Script

PSU: Teradak ATX 210 LPS, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 2 Rails

DDC: Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, Genesis Digital Lens (AT&T Fiber Out)

DAC: Wadia 2000 Digimaster (Sledgehammer Buffer, AT&T Fiber In)

Tube Amplifier: Leben CS-600 (NOS KT66 GEC)

Loudspeakers: Claravox Euritmica

Power Conditioners: Accuphase PS-510, Einstein NF6020, Kemp Power Source+, Kemp Power Station 75, Clearaudio APG, Gate IR-1

I'm interested as well, probably in the ATX210. I'm trying to figure out the backplate however as this will be for a new build. Is there any way to get a standard Streacom sized plate, such as for the FC9 or FC10? I've not decided what case to go with yet, but those are on the list.

I also saw a picture of a FC10 Pro with mini-ATX style backplate (I don't know what the official term is), which would work for me. I can't find any other reference to it though. Does anyone know if it actually exists and can be purchased?

Edit - with regards to the Streacom cases, does the Teradak have the dedicated 12v lines for the CPU (separate to the main connector), and do those fit in Streacom cases?

I also saw a picture of a FC10 Pro with mini-ATX style backplate (I don't know what the official term is), which would work for me. I can't find any other reference to it though. Does anyone know if it actually exists and can be purchased?

Hi,

I have the FC10 Pro chassis with the new backplate so it is available. You may want to check with your streacom dealer on that.

Ben-M mentioned in an earlier post that Teradak can make a backplate that fits the new FC10 Pro backplate so it should be a perfect fit. I'm counting on that myself.

Jack

Ben-M,

Firstly, thank you for organising this group buy. I expect there is a lot more work in it for you than you first thought.

I currently use a Paul Hynes linear supply to power my 2009 Mac Mini. After hearing how much of an improvement it made in my system, where ever possible I will be staying with linear power supplies for my computer based set ups.

I currently use a Metric Halo ULN 8 for my DAC. A news 3D upgrade board will soon be available for the ULN 8. This will allow me to use a Mac, PC, or linux based operating system. Currently the ULN 8 is Mac only. The ability to use a windows based system will open up options (including Accurate) for my 4 way active system.

In short I do not have a windows based PC yet but I want to get ready for the ULN 8 upgrade.

Because the Teradak PSU is for a PC I am yet to build I am not 100% on what wattage capacity I will need or the size of the back plate but as I have no need for graphics the ATX 275 and the large back plate should give me some options in the future.

I will PM you the answers to the required questions but in summary

(i) see PM but I am in Brisbane, Australia

(ii) ATX 275

(iii) One unit

(iv) 230 v

(v) Option (B) 2 x SATA + 1 x molex

(vi) Yes ready for the additional shipping costs when they are finalised

(vii) big size back plate

Lastly I am ready to order and pay Teradak as soon as the costs are finalised so I would like to be added to the first Tier 1 Group.

Thanks again for organising this.

Regards

Mark

Quietpc.com just spoke to Streacom again and apparently the FC 10 Pro was a Chinese market only version that won't be released internationally - and it would have solved most of my issues with their standard cases...

Of course what I'd really like to see is an FC 10 with three upright (no riser cables) low profile sockets (like the FC9), plus a full size ATX input suitable for passive ATX supplies from the likes of Seasonic. Now that would be perfect, but I'm drifting off-topic so I'll stop there!

Gotcha.

Hi Ben,

Any update about DC connector's size?

I might want another one but still waiting a word from Teradak first.

Hey Ririka,

I emailed them about it again, but no update yet. I'll touch base with Teradak later this evening to see if there's been any progress.

I'm interested as well, probably in the ATX210. I'm trying to figure out the backplate however as this will be for a new build. Is there any way to get a standard Streacom sized plate, such as for the FC9 or FC10? I've not decided what case to go with yet, but those are on the list.

Edit - with regards to the Streacom cases, does the Teradak have the dedicated 12v lines for the CPU (separate to the main connector), and do those fit in Streacom cases?

There's no standard size back-plate for the FC9 or FC10. The one that _JL_ has works for the FC10 PRo he's got, but it's won't work for us without cutting into the chassis itself.

And as outlined in the description in the first post of this Group Buy, that provides answers to most questions, yes it does have a separate connector for the 12V CPU power. It has everything a normal ATX supply does, but just raed the description and you'll see exactly what it has.

Hi, I'm very interested in this power supply.

My pc is composed by:

- mb Gigabyte ga-h87n-wifi

- cpu Intel I7 4770s (65w max power consumption)

- hd ssd Kingston SV300 60Gb

- 8Gb RAM 1666Mhz Corsair

- Case Cooler Master Elite 130

- Cooler Master v700 power supply

Do you think that 210w unit could be sufficient?

I'd like the unit with the best ripple so I think of the 210w unit.

Thanks.

Hi, Ben.

Thanks for the update.

I would like to be in the 1st Tier group but may update to get two of 210w units. I will send you a pm before Oct. 25th.

Hey Rurika,

I've heard back from Teradak and they can't use a smaller connector given how many wires they need to connect. They said it's possible that you could find one works and suits your needs, dis-attach the current 16-pin DIN, and then connect all the wires to a smallers one, but they can't do it themselves. It's probably about their timelines and time needed to adjust the process vs. the tight production schedule that we got bumped up into :-/

Anyway, that's the word from them.

Hi, I'm very interested in this power supply.

My pc is composed by:

- mb Gigabyte ga-h87n-wifi

- cpu Intel I7 4770s (65w max power consumption)

- hd ssd Kingston SV300 60Gb

- 8Gb RAM 1666Mhz Corsair

- Case Cooler Master Elite 130

- Cooler Master v700 power supply

Do you think that 210w unit could be sufficient?

I'd like the unit with the best ripple so I think of the 210w unit.

Thanks.

There's 2 ways of looking at this. Some people side with the thinking that a lower draw PSU has lower ripple and then some think that a bigger PSU just barely working has better ripple. Either way, we've gotten the ripple readings that more or less apply to all three levels of ATX units, so your numbers are right there. The only area that they'll be different is as they approach higher current draws that cross the limits of the lower current supplies. Here the bigger PSUs will have lower ripple because their limits are further out. Make sense?

Anyway, for your build the ATX 210 seems fine, IMO anyway. Nothing power hungry in there.

Quietpc.com just spoke to Streacom again and apparently the FC 10 Pro was a Chinese market only version that won't be released internationally - and it would have solved most of my issues with their standard cases...

Of course what I'd really like to see is an FC 10 with three upright (no riser cables) low profile sockets (like the FC9), plus a full size ATX input suitable for passive ATX supplies from the likes of Seasonic. Now that would be perfect, but I'm drifting off-topic so I'll stop there!

I got it in Hong Kong. Taobao also has it but the price is slightly higher than in the US/UK.

Strange that the FC10 Pro is limited to the Chinese market. I originally just ordered the non-Pro FC10 and the local dealer get me the FC10 Pro instead, saying it's replaced the FC10.

Hey Rurika, news about the DC cable.

Like I posted above, the default umbilical DC cable is 1m. They can make it 1.5m for + $20USD, you just need to attach a note to your order and the money. They WILL NOT make it 2m because they said it won't function dependably/correctly.

I myself am going to move some stuff around and make sure it'll work at 1m or less. I'd like to make that cable even shorter if I can :-D

Ben

I almost forgot in my PM. Rather than having a 1.5 m cable, it would be good to have 2, a 1m and a 1.5 m. Is this possible and what about the cost?

Fred

fmak

Hey guys, I've been contacted about what time the cut-off for Tier 1 is exactly. And about Tier 2 stuff.

PLEASE READ.

Cut-off is Saturday, Oct. 25th, @ 12:01am EST.

I live in Asia right now, so that's 12noon for me. I've got a ton of work to do finalizing everyone's orders, adding the 'special requirements' section for the orders, and then arranging it in a way so that Teradak doesn't screw any of the orders up. Besides that I have my own work to do, which doesn't give me Saturdays off, and I'm moving to a new house...

That means that deadline is a strict one.

Tier 2, bad news. Maybe?

There has been little to no interest in Tier 2 yet, and we're now looking at +30 units in Tier 1. Because of the little interest in Tier 2, 1 or 2 users, and the whopping number in Tier 1, I don't believe Teradak is going to be interested in maintaining the Group Buy special requirements, unit discount, shipping discount, or admin effort to make all of it happen for such a low volume.

I haven't received confirmation from them about this yet, but I believe it will happen. Because of this, I would advise anyone who is one the fence to join Tier 1, as it is likely there will be no Tier 2.

I will keep the thread updated on that topic, but be warned.