Sign in to follow this  
Ben-M

Group Buy for full ATX Linear PSU from Teradak

Rate this topic

Still no update from UPS. UPS still doesn't get the package after 2 days since Teradak create the shipping label.

Yep ... its already over a month since I got the 1st unit.

I got nervous from the tracking information. The weight for my 2nd unit(package) is 9kg but my 1st unit is 12kg. It shouldn't be different that much if all material is the same. (Hope it will update when the package come to UPS)

I just got an email back from Michael and he explain everything nice and clear. So, it look like their local shipping agent might do something wrong because Teradak actually pay for 13kg package.

Haha. I gave up on checking "accurate" shipping data a long time ago. Even in sensible places like Canada or the US, shipping companies' data is not accurate. Shipments go from one city to another and then back, tracking data updates and then gets erased, the data is delayed(conveying no movement) and then populates 4 things at once, and in then end the package still arrives. If it's tracked that means you've got insurance, and though a pain in the ass to deal with if lost, it means you CAN deal with it. So, all you can really do is just wait, and that's actually, perfectly fine :-)

It's a good thing for all us audio guys to keep in mind when dealing with this stuff. It'll help us keep our precious hair, and that's important because the clock is always ticking on those top-sprouts...

Finally !!!! My 2nd unit arrive !!!

The package is about 13kg and no problem so far.

Oh, I almost forgot. My 2unit doesn't come with warranty seal so do I have to contact Teradak about this?

After a quick listen in my headphone system. Its not a big huge step between Teradak LPSU and 1 single rail LPSU 12v + pico but still I'm glad that I participant in this GB. (It's still better than 12v LPSU+pico but not night & day when compare to SMPS -> 12v LPSU + pico).

Time to rip my CD and burn in the LPSU !!

I'm happy that he PSU showed up, it weighed the same, and that all the internals were just like the first one. Those Teradak guys seem like a good crew so far, so I never worried. As for the timing, only about 2 days off from the estimation and still within "middle of March" territory :-)

And your sound feedback, let's hope with some burn-in/settling they'll sound a bit better. Maybe down the road there will be an "audiophile" motherboard that runs off the same connectors, and that doesn't dirty up the power with all the internal switching, and then this PSU will really shine. It'd be interesting to see, but I remember from a few cross-forum initiatives that getting an audiophile motherboard wasn't in any potential manufacturers interest as of 2 years ago :-(

I'm waiting on my units now, so we'll see how they sound upon their return. I'm confident with some burn in and further optimization of my music system, it will all sound pretty amazing.

I believe in the beginning of this group project we... or some people requested 5VSB on a separate line so that enables us to build battery system to feed USB card (or other things else)

Can anyone share who have done this? I think some (or many) of us did not plan to build this battery system when we first ordered Teradak PSU nor we have knowledge / experience on how to do this.

I myself just simply plug it in on my PPA usb card.... How much the sound would be different when using battery system and how to do it?

Marcell,

That was me...:-) And yes, I have a plan, but still need to start building the new CAS for my Teradak ATX 275. Problem is I am currently doing a complete overhaul of my entire audio stack (all but my DAC is up for replacement, so CAS, cables, AMPS, Speaks, the lot). So I will not be doing this anytime soon.

There are various ways to use the 5VSB:

A) Charge a battery. Then use that battery to feed either a USB card (such as the PPA) OR feed an SSD.

B) Feed that 5VSB to SSD or PPA directly.

Note(s):

Ad A)

If you use a plain USB power bank, many (if not all) of these have buck/booster section at the output. So they do not provide clean power. I would not use such config on the PPA. You CAN use a battery on your PPA, but I would use a booster/charger card before the battery, use a battery of higher voltage (>6V) and a quality voltage regulator on the output, feeding your PPA. That is a more complex config...

Ad B)

1. Using it on the PPA directly implies the PPA is ON, when the PSU is ON. You need to swith OFF the PSU after the powerdown cycle of your CAS is complete in order for the 5V to not get to you PPA card.... Also, understand that the 5VSB line is ALSO present in the main loom and in the large ATX plug feeding you mobo. It is likely used for little, but it is NOT an isolated 5V source.

2. Using the 5VSB directly on an SSD kills much of the benefit. KEY is getting the SSD off grid, hence feed it with a battery. Feeding the SSD with the 5VSB line will polute it and feed that polution back to the mobo.

In short: I would use it on a 5V USB battery bank and use that bank to feed the SSD.

To make sure the SSD is turned off, you will need one or two relais to switch the power to & from the battery. I plan to use two of these (one to cut the line feeding the battery and one to cut the line FROM the battery, feeding the SSD): EXAMPLE

My understanding is this relais can be switched using the 5V coming from the main loom (the 5V that is normally feeding the SSD is now used to switch on the battery power to the SSD).

Hope this makes sense. If not, you'll have to wait untill I have built & documented my own go at this...

Hans

Bits to analog: HP Pro Server [Win10Pro, software raid; Roon Core] -> Metrum Ambre -> BADA [series1]

Analog to speaks: ARC Ref3 -> ARC DS450M's -> Dynaudio C1 Sig's + 2 REL G2's

Hi Hans,

Thanks for replying. This sounds like a complex project to build a battery system, especially for non-technical person. I would appreciate if you can share yours once you finished building yours.

Marcell

Hi all!

Dear Ben, Is there any idea about when will tier2 start?? This wait is so frustrating...

To be honest, I am quite worried about the high issues rate that has turned up.

Best regards,

JM

Hi all!

Dear Ben, Is there any idea about when will tier2 start?? This wait is so frustrating...

To be honest, I am quite worried about the high issues rate that has turned up.

Best regards,

JM

Hey JM,

Teradak has only started up work about a week ago and they haven't gotten back to me on their internal discussions about Tier 2. I've emailed them a ton of times about it, and I can check in again, but they have told me they will let me know once they have decided.

As for high issues rates, I can't say that's what I've seen. As long as someone has said something to someone about a problem, then it has come across my desk, and so far I don't see any high issue rate. It'd be nearly impossible to have no issues at all, so the fact that some have come up is normal. If there were too many bad issues with this then you would surely see more talk of it in here. Things are pretty quite now that everyone is happy and has their PSUs.

In fact guys and girls, I'd love to see some shots of your builds and component set ups with the ATX Supplies in the mix. Post 'em in here :-)

I think JM has a point, I also felt somewhat troubled by the various problems reported with several of the brand new units. What was the actual ratio?

Changing topics slightly, to date I believe I've only seen one review post? Seems like with the amount sold, there would be more input by now. I understand the burn in period, and some folks are still assembling, but typically by now I'd expect to see several first impressions and chatter about them.

Thanks

Hey JM,

Teradak has only started up work about a week ago and they haven't gotten back to me on their internal discussions about Tier 2. I've emailed them a ton of times about it, and I can check in again, but they have told me they will let me know once they have decided.

As for high issues rates, I can't say that's what I've seen. As long as someone has said something to someone about a problem, then it has come across my desk, and so far I don't see any high issue rate. It'd be nearly impossible to have no issues at all, so the fact that some have come up is normal. If there were too many bad issues with this then you would surely see more talk of it in here. Things are pretty quite now that everyone is happy and has their PSUs.

In fact guys and girls, I'd love to see some shots of your builds and component set ups with the ATX Supplies in the mix. Post 'em in here :-)

Hi Ben! :)

I am still interested in the psu and I really appreciate the efforts you are carrying on. I beg you please do not misunderstand my comments, but, there was even a design problem which cause the ripple measurements multiply by 10-20 from specs. Assuming this is solved, how many units arrived with other kind of issues?

I have a feeling that people are not very satisfied about the SQ results. The largest comment I have read is about little harsh after 130h burn. Maybe people are enjoying it so much they don´t care about the thread! :) This is another possibility.

Best,

JM

jmmbarco said,

"Maybe people are enjoying it so much they don´t care about the thread! This is another possibility."

It's not a possibility, it's a certainty!!

It HAS been worth the wait!

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

jmmbarco said,

"Maybe people are enjoying it so much they don´t care about the thread! This is another possibility."

It's not a possibility, it's a certainty!!

It HAS been worth the wait!

Hi jiffi32! You cannot imagine how pleased am I to read that! :)))))

I have a feeling that people are not very satisfied about the SQ results. The largest comment I have read is about little harsh after 130h burn. Maybe people are enjoying it so much they don´t care about the thread! :) This is another possibility.

Best,

JM

Hi JM,

I had a feeling that many people have left this thread, they are enjoying their PSU and the deal is done.

I can update a little bit, now that I have completed 300 hours burn-in time. The harsh sound is now gone, it now sounded very fluid and expanded sound stage, well that's my first impression. Other things also improve, better focus, detail etc. But i mind you that power cable and any power filter or power distribution you use to feed this PSU is effecting a lot. I believe some of us are actually have different outcome due to these factors, but would rather agree that Teradak PSU is an upgrade especially compare to switching PSU.

I believe Teradak PSU would do poorly on environment where there are many electrical problem such as EMI, RFI, poor grounding, voltage instability etc. I believe on such environment and combine with poor power cable plus without any power filter, Teradak would sound harsh and makes your ear easily fatigue, muddy bass etc.

Hi JM,

I had a feeling that many people have left this thread, they are enjoying their PSU and the deal is done.

I can update a little bit, now that I have completed 300 hours burn-in time. The harsh sound is now gone, it now sounded very fluid and expanded sound stage, well that's my first impression. Other things also improve, better focus, detail etc. But i mind you that power cable and any power filter or power distribution you use to feed this PSU is effecting a lot. I believe some of us are actually have different outcome due to these factors, but would rather agree that Teradak PSU is an upgrade especially compare to switching PSU.

I believe Teradak PSU would do poorly on environment where there are many electrical problem such as EMI, RFI, poor grounding, voltage instability etc. I believe on such environment and combine with poor power cable plus without any power filter, Teradak would sound harsh and makes your ear easily fatigue, muddy bass etc.

Hi Marcell,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I will follow your recomendations around burn-in time.

But, why do you think that the psu will be more sensitive than other devices?

Best regards!

JM

Hi Marcell,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I will follow your recomendations around burn-in time.

But, why do you think that the psu will be more sensitive than other devices?

Best regards!

JM

I didn't mean to express Teradak PSU is super sensitive in that way or more sensitive than other brand PSU's, but i mean that this is not a magical device to fix all your electrical problem. Note that most or all DAC and amplifier are using linear PSU built-in inside. Does your current DAC or amp makes difference in sound when you use audio grade power cable/distribution/filter compare to 5 USD power cable/distribution/filter? If yes then this Teradak PSU would do the same thing.

Some of cable power maker even suggest this order of importance whenever you want to upgrade your power cable:

1st: Source (CD player; DAC)

2nd: Power Amps

3rd: Preamplifier

4th: Power conditioner; regenerators, power distribution units

Source is always the most impacting factor towards sound. Same rules apply when you want to upgrade interconnect cables. First is source to DAC, second is DAC to amps and last is amps to speaker/headphone. So in a way the answer to your question is YES this Teradak PSU is more sensitive than other devices, but not super sensitive in that way or more sensitive compare to other L-PSU.... you got what i mean...

I myself have tried this Teradak using cheap power cable vs audio grade cable and the difference is quite big because i got a very dirty electricity in my house. But this may not apply to everybody.

So does a power cable is more important than interconnect cable? The answer is NO..... i have tried vice versa situation, using crappy 5 USD interconnect cables combine with using audio grade power cables. I only hear a very small difference in sound. I may even have guess wrong when doing a blind test with this experiment.

Put a correct priority in your upgrade path, then you will get a good result towards your spending. Lastly i want to say is i would not be surprise or i rather expect this feedback of Teradak PSU. That some people would say something like "The sound is much improve now using this Teradak, but i still got muddy bass and overall the sound still a bit harsh although it is already reduce a lot"

Well that means the problem is else where, can't expect this PSU to fix everything for you.

Digital components appear to be especially affected by a noisy mains supply and it's something I've spent a lot of time dealing with as it's so bad here. I've tried all manner of filters and cables and found the Furman LiFT filters to be the most effective. Any of their products with that filter included should work, such as the AC-210AE or PL-8CE (those are the 240v European versions). What they did in my system was clear up the treble and bring a sense of purity to the music, whereas before it was just an aggressive and noisy sound unless I was listening after midnight. I'd never had such a problem before moving to this house though, so it's hard to predict what will work for you and what won't. My old linear powered CD players also suffered less from that noise than the SMPS PC I was using, so that may factor into the equation too. I'm now using both the Teradak and the Furman so I'm covered both ways, but I no longer have the old PC to compare against unfortunately.

Hi Ben! :)

I am still interested in the psu and I really appreciate the efforts you are carrying on. I beg you please do not misunderstand my comments, but, there was even a design problem which cause the ripple measurements multiply by 10-20 from specs. Assuming this is solved, how many units arrived with other kind of issues?

Best,

JM

Hi JM,

it's not that I misunderstood you, it's that I was hoping you didn't see things that way. There have been issues, but I don't think they've been very bad or ones that would put in to question the overall quality and dependability of the units. But, that is my opinion and that's all. If anyone feels otherwise than that's alright.

As for the design problem adding 10-20x the ripple, that's actually not true. The reason the measurements were higher is because they were not done according to the Intel defined method of testing, like the first measurements were and all PSU company's ripple measurements are. The original ripple numbers and the second numbers you're talking about were both true.

Lucky for us, though, because of _JL_'s testing and non-Intel motherboard measurements Teradak was able to find a fault with their batch of supplied voltage references and apply a fix. This wasn't a design issue, it was an out of spec part issue. In the end we actually got a PSU that performed better than the ones they'd originally offered us.

Anyway, I'm not trying to stop anyone from sharing their concerns, I just didn't agree that there were tons of issues with the supplies or anything calling in to question their overall quality.

Hi JM,

I agree, but I had hoped that more people would post reviews on their PSUs. I'll have to send some emails out and see if we can get some reviews up. I appreciate Teradak working together with all of us on this and don't think it would hurt to throw them some coverage for it. I understand we paid our hard earned cash for these, but they also did custom work for us, gave us a real good discount, and worked with us on the high shipping costs. I'll be writing a review once I get the PSUs into my system in the coming months.

That's good to hear too. Haha, I am still wary of totally admitting to believing in burn in, but I always run my components for several hundred hours just to make sure.

I've tried all manner of filters and cables and found the Furman LiFT filters to be the most effective. Any of their products with that filter included should work, such as the AC-210AE or PL-8CE (those are the 240v European versions). What they did in my system was clear up the treble and bring a sense of purity to the music, whereas before it was just an aggressive and noisy sound unless I was listening after midnight.

Nice input, i had not heard about Furman before. I did some readings based on your input and it sucks to know that only model P-1400 AR E and upward featuring RMS voltage regulation. I think that one cost more than USD 900.....

I am currently using Furutech AC-1501 that is DIY attach to my power outlet. Well that's a cheap version of Furutech Flux-50. I can say AC-1501 really works, makes more fluid, reduce harsh especially on high frequency, bigger soundstage and fuller sound. Too bad i do not have any other filter to compare. At least i know i am far being better off with this Furutech filter rather than not.

And of course my Teradak is feeding from this Furutech filter.

Hi JM,

it's not that I misunderstood you, it's that I was hoping you didn't see things that way. There have been issues, but I don't think they've been very bad or ones that would put in to question the overall quality and dependability of the units. But, that is my opinion and that's all. If anyone feels otherwise than that's alright.

As for the design problem adding 10-20x the ripple, that's actually not true. The reason the measurements were higher is because they were not done according to the Intel defined method of testing, like the first measurements were and all PSU company's ripple measurements are. The original ripple numbers and the second numbers you're talking about were both true.

Lucky for us, though, because of _JL_'s testing and non-Intel motherboard measurements Teradak was able to find a fault with their batch of supplied voltage references and apply a fix. This wasn't a design issue, it was an out of spec part issue. In the end we actually got a PSU that performed better than the ones they'd originally offered us.

Anyway, I'm not trying to stop anyone from sharing their concerns, I just didn't agree that there were tons of issues with the supplies or anything calling in to question their overall quality.

I received one of the first units in January and was surcharged for delivery 'out of area' in Tiny Hong Kong after having paid over $110 from China to HK. The explanation I got for this was simply ridiculous. This unit was one of the 'faulty' ones. Michael knew well that I was taking the unit away to use, and so I gave Teradak the address to post the components to. Apparently they sent these to the

wrong address (the original delivery one).

Two months after I got the unit, I still had nothing. So, after Terdak returned to work,

I chased Michael with many exchanges of emails. I was after two things. First the diagram for connecting the bypass capacitors wasn't clear as to where one of the legs went, and

second, I needed the LEDs and Capacitors sent to me in the Med. However, after many exchanges, all I got was no answer about the Caps and repeated regurgitations that they sent the parts and that postage to the Med was expensive. I offered to pay and still got no comprehensible answer. Note: Most China eBay merchants sell parts delivered to the Med without fail and at no cost!

Annoyed by the fact that Teradak had totally failed to provide any after sales service, I asked Ben M to intervene. This time, I did get an answer on the Caps and I thought I was going to receive the two LEDs and Caps. It is now April and I have still not received anything.

Anyway, I have now fixed the problem myself but wish to point out to further potential Group Buy or single buy posters that:

1. Either Michael is unable to comprehend requests via email, or he has no control over what happens to customer service at Teradak.

2. The way that Teradak had behaved over sending a few dollars worth of parts is reprehensible and all of the China sellers I have dealt with value service much more than they have done. A Western seller of over $500 worth of gear would have provided the parts and answered my query with little delay. They would also have refunded my ridiculous 'out of territory' delivery surcharge.

As I told Ben, it seems to me that Michael has a Mind Set Issue. Throughout my exchange of emails with him, the answers had been: LEDs were cheap and postage was expensive for them. This was just a fob off as I had offered to pay for both. Incidentally, getting LEDs with the right forward voltage range has been a major problem. Neither Farnell or RS do it and Mouser has a minimum order

of $100 or expensive e20 delivery. So, I had to resort to spending e10 on eBay UK for 'premium' LEDs that turned out to be faulty and that failed after a minute of use. Eventually I had the right ones, which Teradak should not have expected me to go to the trouble of getting.

Michael is welcomed to give his interpretations to the events, although I have kept emails so that what I said could be verified.

So, my message to readers here is: Caveat Emptor.

Having said all this, I do acknowledge that the ATX unit is well finished, with premium quality cables. As for performance, I shall do listening and measurement tests on load.

fmak

Hi JM,

I notice that an input filter is missing and therefore kick-back into the mains can be an issue.

I intend to try one out but this will take time.

fmak

I notice that an input filter is missing and therefore kick-back into the mains can be an issue.

I intend to try one out but this will take time.

I've bought one for this exact purpose, but long before I got the Teradak PSU. The product has been around for a while and is non-audiophile reasonably priced at $125 delivered. It's been mostly used in the Ham Radio scene, but I've read a lot of feedback about people using it on their audio and PC components to great effect.

It's called the Array Solutions AC-7 Line Filter. There are a bunch of different models, I've got one with male and female IECs so that I can connect it right before my component and still use whatever power cord I want. Highly recommended. Now that I've got 2 PSUs for my 2 PC setup I'll be buying a second one.

Hi Ben,

Happy camper here with the Teradak, great value for money and good quality build.

I am using it just to supply the 20 pin ATX and I have taken one of the separate 3.3v lines to bypass 3.3v from PCI slot direct to the PPA USB card, 12v for CPU and all other 5v are on a Paul Hynes 3 rail supply and 1.3v direct to RAM from a Teddy Pardo 5v through an AudioWind Reg.

I have not had the chance to do any AB testing as I had a heavy schedule getting my kit ready for an audio show last weekend in the UK but needless to say the Teradak kept up with everything for 9 hours straight during the show and sound was great.

Most people kept commenting on how great the speakers were and I had to keep telling them most of what they were hearing was happening well before the speakers but I do not think they were listening, they were like moths to a flame though!

Cheers, Pearse.

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

I received one of the first units in January

[...]

Having said all this, I do acknowledge that the ATX unit is well finished, with premium quality cables. As for performance, I shall do listening and measurement tests on load.

As an update, Fred has since received the parts for the modification.

The parts were mailed to him at his new address at Teradak's expense(as is expected) and they were mailed before his message in this thread. I am only mentioning the last part because I don't want people to feel obliged to take things to the public eye just to force a response as Teradak has done well in communication with buyers on several issues that have come up. If you have any questions or problems, take it up with Teradak directly.

It is true that Fred's problem took a long time and was not dealt with well, however, this is the outlier amongst the problems that I have been privy to during the Group Buy and I have faith that others will not run into the same.

So far, both of my units have been faultless. Very good build quality, nice SQ improvement and really great value for money for what you get.

Adam

PC: Hot rodded CAPS v4 Pipeline: Teradak ATX linear PSU, Jcat Femto USB card, UpTone Audio JS-2 + 2x LPS-1.2 combo, Jcat SSD battery PSU, Jcat SATA cable, TotalDAC D1 USB cable, SOtM sMS-200, W4S Recovery USB, Jcat USB Isolator, Win 2012, AO v2.10

Digital: Lampizator Pacific DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Cables: AudioQuest WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC