IGNORED

Group Buy for full ATX Linear PSU from Teradak

Ben-M

Even with a Green LED voltage reference voltage modification,the figures are more than 10 x worse than the figures given in post 60 on P.3. YES, it DOES matter ! The lower the noise, the higher the SQ. The original figures were good, but not great.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Hi All,

I just received another update from Teradak. They further refined the modification with an additional capacitor added to each voltage rail. According to Teradak the ripple performance is now at several mV level when connected to an AMD motherboard drawing >2A per rail:

3.3V=1.296mV(RMS)

5V=2.350mV(RMS)

12V=2.998mV(RMS)

These photos are from Teradak.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16786[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16787[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16788[/ATTACH]

Teradak also informed me that only the first 4 units (1 for fmak, 2 for Ben, and mine) were shipped with the non-mod circuit. All the others have been updated with both the LED mode and the capacitor mod.

That's more like it !

Kudos to _JL_ for drawing this to their attention. You have all benefitted by receiving a vastly lower noise PSU.

KInd Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

+1

We all owe you one _JL_ !

Great that there are such knowledgeable folks here...

I suspect that the marked improvement obtained was due to that additional capacitor further improving the supply to the reference Green LED.

Kind Regards

Alex

Thanks guys for the kind words. Ben is THE one pulling this off and doing all the coordination with Teradak in the background.

I am happy that Teradak follow-through and improved the PSU further. Can't wait to add the cap mod to my unit.

They didn't improve the PSU further. They brought it more into line with their original specs, as posted in post 60 on page 3. How many would have even ordered them if the specs were as per _JL_'s initial measurements ?

The units before being modified did not meet their specifications by a country mile, and were faulty.

If _JL_ hadn't measured his, you guys would have had very sub standard PSUs, and they could have ended up with some very disgruntled customers and quite a few units being returned.

The previous measured data is not related to _JK_ previous measurement.

I didn't claim it was. I would like to see new measurements under the same conditions from _JL_ after he has installed the new capacitor.

I gather that you are associated with the manufacturer ?

• 6 months later...

R-Core transformers are generally quite a bit more expensive than the same rated and readily available toroidal transformers. (check ebay for example) The less efficient dual bobbin types which have much less capacitance between Primary and Secondary windings are only available from a few suppliers. They are likely to be better for use with external linear PSUs for USB Audio because of this .

• 8 months later...
It is still a mystery why it got busted. Is it a wrong usage? Bad voltage in my house? Is it supposed to be 20uf or 2 x 10uf rather than a single 10uf?

Normal 10uF electrolytic capacitors rarely fail, but they may have used a 10uF tantalum capacitor at that location, which occasionally go short circuit, although they are generally more reliable these days.