IGNORED

Group Buy for full ATX Linear PSU from Teradak

Ben-M

Hi JM,

I asked Teradak for an update yesterday and they gave me the pricing info on their standard PSUs + updates that they found during the Group Buy. I'll post them tomorrow when I get some free time.

As for Tier 2, it is doesn't look good for going ahead. There doesn't seem to be much interest in it any more, understandably given the time, and Teradak also didn't make out as well as they'd hoped profit wise from the last build. They gave us a large discount and then incured higher shipping and BOM costs afterwards, so Tier 2 pricing would have to reflect those changes.

Anyway, I'll post the pricing tomorrow, but I recommend that you contact Teradak and let them know you were a Tier 2 buyer and see what they can do for you.

Hi Ben

Where can I find the prices you mention? Also, is tier 2 still open for ordering? Thanks!

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

• 2 months later...
Alex from Uptone has said that 'R' cores sound better, improved bass being one area.

R-cores are a cheap way to get most of the benefits of Toroidal transformers. But Toroidals are still king, both in quality and price. But any other type of transformer is inferior to an R-core.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

• 3 weeks later...
I am little confused by your comments, what are you trying to say, R- Core better than toroidal or not? I am trying to decide if I need to spend more to get with an R- core transformer. Thanks.

In a like-for-like situation, an R-core is not better in an absolute sense than a toroidal transformer. Toroidals, for hi-fi, are still best. But they are also the most expensive type of transformer around in terms of manufacturing costs. An R-Core will get you there, say, 90% of the way but half the price. So, when you consider value for money an R-Core is probably the best solution available. Some other types of transformers may be cheaper than R-Cores, but they also come with some serious downsides that matter for hi-fi.

Note: this is all generally speaking. Depending on the specific case, things may be a tat different. And of course the transformer is not everything. Other components and the cleverness of design matter too.

Pepsican:

Thank you for your response. You have clearly stated that R-core are cheaper, but as it turns out; Teradak is charging 10% more for their R-core versions. I wonder why. Thanks.

But their standard design does not include a toroidal. Also, the transformer is certainly not the only component that matters. For example, HD-Plex uses Rcore, but the upcoming power supply will be cheaper than Teradak's.