IGNORED

Group Buy for full ATX Linear PSU from Teradak

Ben-M

Hi Ben-m,

The ripple measurements look pretty good for such a big and fully-featured device, I am interested in a 210w model. Before confirmation, I would like to see two more measurements:

1. Efficiency. I know linears cannot compete with the 80+ switchers in this department, but I do not want any surprises (e.g. efficiency lower than 50%).

2. Regulation. That is the diff between the stated voltage (5v, 12v..) and the actually supplied one. It varies with load but a good linear should be under 1%... and from a highend device like this I expect even better (I.e. diff numbers into the single digit mV.)

Ripple, regulation and efficiency numbers are provided by all serious PS manufacturers and I wanna be sure that $500 buys me a better PS than the best switching picoPSU setup (e.g. less than 50mV ripple and .0x% regulation with the FSP brick tested here http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story8&reid=207 )

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

may want another 350w model for my NAS but that's a pretty long shot ... need 5x molex for the hdd cages and efficiency is very important for a 24/7 machine.

@ben-m

Thx for the update. 70% efficiency is very good for linear and the ripple is ok for my purpose (about 75w needed). If the regulation is at least same as good, you'll have another order.

And sry if I inadvertently started the lpsu vs. smps discussion. I know that a similarly specced lpsu is normally way better than the smps counterpart... the only purpose of that (rather unfortunate) picopsu sample was the price comparison: a $500 lpsu should be at least comparable in terms of specs with a $100 pico combo.

Also, didn't know that so few psu vendors provide good specs ... the seasonic fanless platinum I use for the server came with a booklet that stated eff/reg/ripple (iirc, something like 90+/2%/20mA) ... guess I was just lucky :)

Anyway, many thx for the effort and hoping to hear some good news about regulation soon.

P.S.

Most prolly my server will stay with the seasonic psu. It's very stable, totally silent and at 90+ efficiency perfect for 24/7 use...plus, redoing the power cabling in the server case is just too much work :).

Guess I'll just add a cheap filter or isolation transformer to make sure that the smps noise does not go back into the mains.

• 2 weeks later...

I want the psu and thank you for the effort but cannot promise to answer same-day or to always read a few pages of somewhat confusing msges. Wish I had the time but I just don't.

Sent you a private with more details, your choice.

Wish you luck with the buy either way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@benm

Thx for the update and good to hear that our supplies are on track.

Pls tell teradak to notify us when they ship and provide a package tracking number. I will be away 23dec-02ian and may have to arrange something with DHL or whatever shipping company that they use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...