IGNORED

NAD C390DD Users?

I would like to share experiences with feeding and use of the NAD C390DD with others!

My system:

Mac Mini 2010 2.66 GHz 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 RAM, 320GB drive

FireWire 2TB drive with 1900+ CDs AIFF ripped + 96KHz/24 downloads (Classical/Jazz/Rock)

Using Audioquest Coffee USB and Audioquest Cinnamon TosLink connections out of Mac Mini

Using Pure Music, Fidelia Advanced and Audirvana software

Logitech Transporter with Transparent Audio AES/EBU as well as Audioquest Cinnamon connections to NAD

NAD C390DD BiWired using Audioquest Volcano to a pair of Aerial Acoustics 10Ts

Any idea how to get 192KHz/24bit into the NAD?

Any settings for the iZotope SRC suggestions?

Previous system was PS Audio Power Conditioning and power cables, ML 335/380S/360S all differential

Love to connect with other users!

When I had a 390DD, its USB input did not support sample rates above 24/96 and, even within its range, the USB input did not sound particularly good. TOSLINK was superior, I thought. But also limited to 29/96. NAD may have offered a new MDC module since then, or they may in the future. For now, I recommend going into the NAD from your Mac via the coax or AES/EBU digital inputs (as you may be doing from the Logitech). Out of your Mac, to do this you will need to get a USB -> SPDIF converter (not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure), of which there are tons to choose from and plenty of threads around here to read.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

When I had a 390DD, its USB input did not support sample rates above 24/96 and, even within its range, the USB input did not sound particularly good. [...snip...] NAD may have offered a new MDC module since then, or they may in the future.

I understand the 24/192 module they developed for the new M12 will be available as an upgrade for the C390DD (may become standard). You'll need to contact NAD or their dealers to confirm this and the costs.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Many thanks for the valuable comments!!! I have just discovered that my 2010 Mac-Mini is capable of directly supporting TosLink using the audio analog/digital output and I am now connected to it. I am using the AES/EBU output from the Logitech Transporter into the NAD. Yes, limited to 96KHz due to Mac-Mini is a serious limitation. I am very confused about the new BlueSound module that NAD is releasing. After serious comparison between using an AIFF ripped CD playing through the Transporter versus an ML No.39 playback of the same disk, there surely is something missing from the former. I now believe and understand (as an engineer) the distinct advantage of using Pure Music, Fidelia or the Audirvana software provides the best of all worlds in being able to adjust the sonic characteristics and believe this is the absolute best Transport mechanism that exist due to being able to directly control the pre and post ringing characteristics as well as the resulting aliasing back into the passband...

In short, IMHO, Apple is our #1 nemesis is Audiophile sound and usage and we as a community need to speak out!

A) Not being able to feed out 192KHz/24 as an optical connection - Supposedly, the PC world supports this

B) The support in iTunes to select a particular music album or track needs help with multiple keys! -- We should be able to select a Genre, then an Artist, then an album and then a track using a multiple column display capability all while seeing the artwork that applies -- Think of multiple columns of display info... I never know what I want to play next!

C) The GapLess playback is serious flawed according to prior post elsewhere because Apple computes the next track based on the order they were loaded into the library rather than track number -- Gee, that should be an easy fix!

D) The support of album artwork is seriously flawed and randomly reports missing artwork via the Find Album artwork menu pull down. Every time this menu is run, a different set of missing artwork results! -- I have 1900+ CDs = 2TB

E) Direct inclusion within CoreAudio of various SRC routines should be built-in

I believe that NAD not having a HeadPhone output that mutes the main output is a serious flaw! If they indeed have a 192K/24 module I will get one if I can figure out how to feed it!

In short, not that the Aerial 10Ts are the best speakers Money Can Buy, but after living with them for 20 years and having listened to dozens of more expensive and capable speakers hasn't made me jump to something else.

I have read where there is some hesitation on the Audioquest Coffee USB cable... Duly noted but they do not sound that bad. My wife and I believe the "Best" connections are with AES/EBU then Optical with USB close.

NAD wish list --- Another AES/EBU connection and a way to get 192KHz/24bit from a Mac. I serious believe that a Mac based SRC software program is the best of all worlds letting me dial up Transparency or Smoothness as warranted.

Audirvana and Others request -- I would like to have user defined tag names on iZotope parameters to allow custom tuning of multiple parameter sets.

As an Audiophile and Engineer, I would like to advise my peers before they get HIT like I did!!!

DO NOT LET THE MEDICAL PROFESSION give you a dose of Gentamycin antibiotics!!! I had 1 dose via IV and have suffered with a diagnosed hearing loss and Tinitus for the rest of my life! -- Don't let this happen to you!

Curious as to why "When I had the 390DD" you got rid of it? After living with ML 335/380S/360S and PS power reconditioning and using Balanced on everything, I love the C390DD feeding the 10Ts as I am hearing a top end and detail previously never realized. Yes, I gave up a bit on that beautiful midrange of the ML gear! I however, have never heard Transparency from the 10Ts like I have now, EVER!

Folks, I am still new to this level of software capabilities and as such I really appreciate any suggestions in any area but specifically the parameter sets to try out with the SRC adjustments!!! I found 2 set of these parameters on the web but no longer see them... They had a cutoff of 0.90 and 0.85 but as I said they seem to have disappeared.

Many thanks to all who help in this effort! -Laurier

Just some heads up on your issues...

In short, IMHO, Apple is our #1 nemesis is Audiophile sound and usage and we as a community need to speak out!

With respect ... Apple are not catering to the Audiophile market though the MacMini can be a good basis...

A) Not being able to feed out 192KHz/24 as an optical connection - Supposedly, the PC world supports this.

While a lot of devices do support 192/24 via optical, this is pushing the specifications and often some combinations work while others don't. Apple's decision not to offer 192/24 so as to offer a reliable connection which almost always works makes sense for the majority of Apple's customers.

B) The support in iTunes to select a particular music album or track needs help with multiple keys! -- We should be able to select a Genre, then an Artist, then an album and then a track using a multiple column display capability all while seeing the artwork that applies -- Think of multiple columns of display info... I never know what I want to play next!

You can do this...

Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 14.14.13.png

C) The GapLess playback is serious flawed according to prior post elsewhere because Apple computes the next track based on the order they were loaded into the library rather than track number -- Gee, that should be an easy fix!

That is incorrect ...

D) The support of album artwork is seriously flawed and randomly reports missing artwork via the Find Album artwork menu pull down. Every time this menu is run, a different set of missing artwork results! -- I have 1900+ CDs = 2TB

I assume you are using an AppleScript from Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ♫ - dougscripts.com as "find album artwork" is not a standard iTunes function. This may not be the issue ... but I note that several of Doug's scripts have comments that it is unreliable with current / modern versions of iTunes.

E) Direct inclusion within CoreAudio of various SRC routines should be built-in

I'm not sure if this should be a function of the operating system audio routines. Most people actually want to bypass as much of the OS as possible for higher quality audio reply.

As a final comment ... early on in your post you said I am very confused about the new BlueSound module that NAD is releasing.

Could you perhaps explain more what is confusing you? The BlueSound module will relate to running the M12 (and maybe C390DD but I've not seen that confirmed) as part of a Bluesound - HiFi for a wireless generation system. If you are connecting your NAD direct to a computer this would not be relevant, though could offer an alternative to a upgrade on the USB module. As for headphones - I'm unsure if there is anyway to connect headphone; certainly there is no way to mute the speakers without also muting the Pre-output (AFAIK). You could possibly utilise a headphone amplifier with a built in DAC connected to the SPDIF output.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Wow! A lot of these points I was unaware of and totally agree with most of what was said!

No, I was not aware of the apple script for the album selection and will look into that soon!

My point with the BlueSound was only this, I want to do the SRC on a Mac anyway and don't know if this module would allow this but I know many people really like this device and capability. I have over 10TB of storage and have several full copies of all my AIFF files as backup (Thanks to SuperFlexibleFileSynchronizer) since it took many months of ripping. I will always be using a Wired connection... HDMI capability will be next add on into the NAD.

In terms of the album searching, the Audirvana multiple column display is exactly what I need and want. Only wish when that one of the columns (last one) would display artwork for easy recognition. But, sounds like Doug's script will be ideal for me!

The ability to use multiple Hard Drives to partition my music (as it currently is) into Classical/Jazz/Rock also helps!

And yes, I am fully aware that Apple is not catering to our whims... IMHO, iTunes is over bloated and should just be for Music!

Got your point on 192KHz, only too bad with a fast processor in a Mac Mini it couldn't be supported!

I plan on buying a new (dedicated as a Music Server) Mac Mini soon as access to my 2TB Firewire is not ideal for the Transporter and a faster connection USB3 or even Thunderbolt would greatly help as Firewire vs. USB2 was!

Currently have Thunderbolt on my iMac 27 inch via a Lacie adapter to 2 external SATA drives and it is FAST...

NAD confirmed no way to mute output for Headphone use... Shame as my wife will want me to use Headphones at times...

Many, Many thanks for all the valuable comments!!! All will be considered and tried further.

-Laurier

BTW -- An excellent end quote! Everyone's opinion is just that "Their Own"... For now, I am in Heaven with the sound quality!

Hi All -

New to the forum and new to higher end audio. I'm looking at the 390DD and also the Krell s-300i. Most of what I play is on CD or via my iPad. Now that I've got about $5k to spend on a system, I've been looking at the 390DD, some new speakers, and a new disc player. I've got a smallish listening area, about 50 sq ft, so figure the 390DD should be adequate in the power department.

Looking closer at the 390DD, it appears that it does not support a direct connection from an iPad to play music? I can't seem to get a straight (or any) answer on this anywhere. I could hook up my Mac to it, but would rather not as I'm always running around with it and it's my Mac; my wife doesn't use nor wants to use it to play music.

Should the 390DD not support a direct iPad connection, this could be out of the running as the Mrs. won't put up with it. It would seem ridiculous that NAD would develop an all digital integrated amp that didn't accept direct iPad/iPod input, irrespective of what the sound quality may be.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Lou

Hi All -

New to the forum and new to higher end audio. I'm looking at the 390DD and also the Krell s-300i. Most of what I play is on CD or via my iPad. Now that I've got about $5k to spend on a system, I've been looking at the 390DD, some new speakers, and a new disc player. I've got a smallish listening area, about 50 sq ft, so figure the 390DD should be adequate in the power department.

Looking closer at the 390DD, it appears that it does not support a direct connection from an iPad to play music? I can't seem to get a straight (or any) answer on this anywhere. I could hook up my Mac to it, but would rather not as I'm always running around with it and it's my Mac; my wife doesn't use nor wants to use it to play music.

Should the 390DD not support a direct iPad connection, this could be out of the running as the Mrs. won't put up with it. It would seem ridiculous that NAD would develop an all digital integrated amp that didn't accept direct iPad/iPod input, irrespective of what the sound quality may be.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Lou

I think the short answer is that it does not on it's own. An easy and relatively cheap workaround would be to get a an Apple TV and use Airplay. The appleTV would plug into the NAD through the optical Toslink connection. Then the iPad wouldn't have to plugged into anything. It would all be done over your home wifi network.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Thanks Kelly - certainly a consideration given that Apple TV is only $100 and I wouldn't need the HDMI module. Have you done this yourself or in theory? Just dotting my i's and crossing the t's before I drop the cash and avoiding the Mrs. starting WW-III in the house....

Cheers,

Lou

I have used airplay devices in the past, and I have used them with an NAD component. But I have not used an Apple TV with the C390DD. however, the configuration is identical.

The C390DD is a bit upscale compared to most devices which have an iPad/Pod/Phone dock. There are some devices that have ethernet/wireless and support Airplay though. I think Marantz might be a place to look. But if you like the C390DD then the simplest route would be to get an apple TV. It's cheap, and it will work.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

• 3 weeks later...

Many, Many thanks for pointing out Doug's iTunes scripts!!!

Yes, they were exactly what was needed to fix my incomplete artwork library for iTunes!

And Yes, I did donate to Doug's cause as it really was worthwhile and got the job done...

-Laurier

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14614[/ATTACH]

That is incorrect ...

I assume you are using an AppleScript from Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ♫ - dougscripts.com as "find album artwork" is not a standard iTunes function. This may not be the issue ... but I note that several of Doug's scripts have comments that it is unreliable with current / modern versions of iTunes.

Eloise

• 1 year later...

Hello all. I'm new as a poster on this site. I've had a C390DD since early 2012 and enjoy it greatly as the focal point of a 2.1 setup. Speakers are Axiom M80 V2 and SVS 12 sub. Been playing around with a PC laptop running Jriver media center USB to NAD. Also a Raspberry Pi B+ with HiFiBerry Digi+ coax to the NAD. USB won't do 24/196 and I cannot get the Pi to do it either, although it's supposed to work. Today I decided to bite the bullet and order the DD-BluOS module. Wish me luck :)

Had thought of that myself, so looking forward to your listening experience once you have it installed.
Will do. Being new to this forum, I had not realized that I need to subscribe to the thread to get updates. Fortunately I came back and found your reply. I'm going to post another entry here outlining some recent experiences. Cheers!

The originator of this thread said (s)he was interested in sharing experiences of the NAD C390DD with other owners. That's why I gravitated here. If any reader knows of a better/more active thread for this purpose on this or any other forum/website, please let me know.

My title for this post reflects my ambivalence about the C390. My experience has led me to believe that in its central design premise it is exemplary. To quote NAD

"The ... C 390DD is not only a new concept in amplification, but also in audio system architecture."
As I mentioned in a recent post, I am committed enough to the C390 to be in the process of purchasing a DD-BluOS expansion module. I do not see this move as "throwing good money after bad", but I have hesitated. Basically, I cannot afford to get rid of the C390 and buy something else. I'm beginning to think I succumbed once again to a tendency to go integrated rather than separate for budgetary reasons, even though I spent more on this amp than ever before; I am not a wealthy audiphile. But I do like the C390's pure sound. Purchasing it was part of my decision that digital is the way to go (for me. I already lived through vinyl's ticks and pops in the 70's).

So why the ambivalence. Well, I've been communicating with NAD through their support channel quite a bit lately (https://support.nadelectronics.com/hc/en-us) . I'm trying to get them to admit that their emperor's clothes leave something to be desired. When I initiated my conversation with NAD, I threatened that if I was not satisfied with their answers, I would start speaking in wider circles ..... so, here I am. Here is a list of my beefs including questions posed to NAD and their replies.

1. Owners are not automatically made aware of software changes.

Q: December 20, 2015 03:49 I own a C390DD. Several times I have visited the NAD web pages for this product and discovered there was a software update available that I was unaware of. Is it possible to be added to an email mailing list to be notified of such availability?

Reply: Thank you for ... your request for email notification of software updates for your NAD C390DD. Unfortunately we do not have a system set up as of yet for this administration. We would recommend you check back every once in awhile to our website for news and updates. We apologize for the inconvenience.

2. Auto-standby does not work if the source device remains powered up and sending a clock signal.

Q: January 28, 2016 13:33 Although AUTO STANDBY is enabled, the unit does not enter standby if the selected input device is still powered on but not providing digital music content.

Reply: ... some digital sources may not have audio content but still output a valid clock signals the C390 cannot distinguish this and stays on

Aside: I have a Raspberry Pi on coax in 1. The Pi never powers down. It runs Linux and I would have to do a shutdown before power off. The little thing draws about as much power as a night light. But I have to remember to power off the C390 or it will run all night. I don't buy NAD's answer. Surely the C390 could sense that although there is clock, there are no changing bits. Or it could feedback from the final output stage and say "10 minutes now of absolute dead silence, I'm outta here".

3. There is no headphone jack and no reasonable alternative for headphone listening.

Q: I notice that a recent change to the C390 software provides for turning off the speakers which gets me halfway to headphone listening. ... Is there a way to route the digital content that the C390 receives to my headphone DAC/amp?

Reply: The "PRE-OUT"s can be used to run to your headphone amp, Press and hold the "MUTE" button to turn your speakers OFF & ON, all the content running through the C390DD will be routed to the "PRE-OUT"s We hope this information is helpful.

My Counter Question:
    1. I have a subwoofer so I cannot readily redirect output to PRE-OUT since they share the same RCA plugs at the rear of the C390.

2. Part of my decision to purchase the C390 in the first place was my decision to go all-digital with my music hobby/obsession. In keeping with that decision, I purchased a quality set of headphones and a Fiio headphone amp which accepts digital inputs and includes its own DAC.

For these two reasons, I do not find your suggestion workable.

The C390 has two different digital outputs, one optical and one coax. Could I not use one of those to drive my digital headphone amp?
    .... which leads to

4. The digital outputs (coax and optical) only loop their corresponding inputs.

Q: What is the intended use of the COAXIAL OUT and OPTICAL OUT ports? If for example the reply was "for headphone listening" I would have to point out that a signal on COAXIAL IN does not appear on OPTICAL OUT. Would I need to have two headphone amps or dig around at the rear of the unit to switch outputs to match inputs?

Reply: The Coax and Optical outputs just looped out and intended to pass the respective signals to other digital devices to say PC input

5. Expansion modules seem expensive.

Q. ... the existence of the DD BluOS upgrade is highly attractive. ... But I don't see why it has to be so expensive. Other than, of course, that NAD has a captive market. Who is going to purchase a DD BluOS module except owners of compatible devices. For people who opted for less expensive analog gear, you have expensive streaming devices (M50) and DACs (M51). But I thought in buying the C390DD at a pretty hefty up-front cost I might anticipate savings on upgrades in the future. To be honest, this really makes me feel ripped off and taken advantage of. I never thought I would feel that way about NAD gear.

Reply: It is easy to get to 95% with software, but the last 5% can take far, far longer to achieve. In addition NAD must license and pay for all the technology included and test and certify safety compliance for all major markets. We have an entire team of engineers that just test every possible use case looking for bugs – and this must be repeated for every software release. There are over 1 million lines of code in BluOS that have been written and must be maintained. We also have a very good track record for adding features and functionality to BluOS free of charge. Features like multi-room synchronization without drift, gapless playback, support for all major codecs, true High Resolution Audio capability, integration of many music services, Apps for control on a wide range of 3rd party devices all have costs to develop that must be recovered in the retail price or we would not be able to stay in business.

My Counter:
    I hear you. ... Not to fault my local NAD dealer, but I don't think anyone in the shop knows what the BlueOS module is for. Nevertheless, I went in yesterday to get a price quote. He's going to get back to me. But if I do decide to seriously consider the module, I will be pretty much on my own both in terms of deciding whether the unit meets all my needs (playing local FLAC files, streaming Spotify and possibly Tidal, and Internet 'radio') and working out any issues after installation. That too must have value.
    And so I am buying a DD-BluOS module. Bluesound looks fantastic!

6. There is a $US300 option to replace the USB card with a more capable one, but no special deal for current owners.

Q. According to online resources, the C390DD comes with one MDC module, namely "the DD USB 1 for USB interface" (C 390DD Direct Digital Powered DAC Amplifier - NAD Electronics).

According to this PDF, http://www.nadelectronics.com/img/static/MDC-Matrix.pdf there is a USB 2.0 module for the C390DD.

Searching for "DD-USB" on the NAD website turns up nothing, but searching the web for "DD USB 2.0 +nad" turns up nadddusb2 NAD DD USB 2.0 - DACS and Transports showing the module available for $300

Two questions:
    1. Is there or is there not a USB 2.0 module for the C390?
    2. Is there a trade-in option that allows a current C390DD owner to upgrade to Asynchronous USB 24/192 at a discount? (Yes, how much? No, why not?)

Note that I the bolded USB 24/192. The one that comes in the C390 is max 24/96

Reply: Please be advised that there is a USB 2.0 module for the C390DD, it is $300USD MSRP, but there is no trade in/up program.

7. The room EQ capability is rudimentary at best.

When I bought the C390 in Feb. 2012, the room EQ provision was not yet available. I was anticipating something like Odyssey.

Instead, I get 6 FLAC files and a manual procedure for listening, possibly with an SPL meter, and adjusting 6 fixed low frequencies.

I use Room Equalization Wizard (REW, a very helpful, if complex, free software tool) to calculate appropriate settings and enter them at the C390 front panel. Works, but not up to expected level of sophistication. As I said in another exchange with NAD,
    I just fail to see how the answer is acceptable for a device with such sophisticated aspirations as the C390DD.

Well, there you have it folks. I think NAD is a purveyor of quality analog gear struggling a bit with the end-user implications of digital. If I were to advise them, I would say "give the C390DD to your stable mate Bluesound; they'll probably know more about how to deal with it".

I hope this draws some feedback ... it took a while to get it all out. Does anybody else feel the same way about the C390?

Just some of the reasons I sold mine. That and I thought the sound, while tremendously clear, really didn't have much get up and go until you hit "neighbours pounding on the walls" volumes.

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

Not sure is a valid comment, but.

Friend of mine invested in a Blue sound module for his Nad.

It turned out that the module lost all settings when turning of the Nad.

The shop confirmed that it was a known bug but was unable to fix the problem.

It can be a good idea to wait a whileto purchase until the most critical bugs are removed.

/lg

Not sure is a valid comment, but.

Friend of mine invested in a Blue sound module for his Nad.

It turned out that the module lost all settings when turning of the Nad.

The shop confirmed that it was a known bug but was unable to fix the problem.

It can be a good idea to wait a whileto purchase until the most critical bugs are removed.

/lg

Many thanks for the heads up.

Your friend might find this link helpful: I discovered it a few minutes ago while continuing to try to fins a critical mass of C390 users to talk with.

Thanks Trappy for the confirmation. I tend to listen to jazz, folk, acoustic sorts of music. Even at that, I sometimes find I've bumped to volume up to -10 dB or higher. So I can see if I was into heavier stuff I would probably agree with your comment about not enough oomph.

Just after all this negativity about the C390DD I was going to comment if anyone in the UK is interested in the NAD C390DD Sevenoaks Audio (the UK importer / retailer) has a bunch of them at £999 which is half price. Anyway this led me to wonder if they are being discontinued or replaced?

Eloise

---

Just after all this negativity about the C390DD I was going to comment if anyone in the UK is interested in the NAD C390DD Sevenoaks Audio (the UK importer / retailer) has a bunch of them at £999 which is half price. Anyway this led me to wonder if they are being discontinued or replaced?

This afternoon I did go into my local NAD dealer and order the DD-BluOS module. So, I'm committed. Despite my apparent negativity, I hope NAD doesn't abandon the C390. Getting one at half price might be a great deal! I don't think I'm bi-polar ...

The originator of this thread said (s)he was interested in sharing experiences of the NAD C390DD with other owners. That's why I gravitated here. If any reader knows of a better/more active thread for this purpose on this or any other forum/website, please let me know.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/nad-c390dd-direct-digital-digital-analogue-converter-amplifier-11836/

NAD C390DD - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

NAD C390DD II - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/thinking-selling-inova-d5s-and-getting-nad-c390dd-kef-ls50s-15751/