IGNORED

Benchmark DAC1 pre

Right :) From the outset I 'spose I had better let you know where I am coming from and that is a > Lossless digital files > Mac Mini > Either PLAY or iTunes players > USB out on an otherwise free bus > a Trends USB DAC > Old re-worked Audio Innovations s500 tube amp with Border Patrol power supply > Living Voice Auditorium IBX speakers.

Phew

Basically I am building up a high (ish) end digital system and apart from a bit of fine tuning with cables and settings I am nearly where I want to be (well, apart from not yet converting my entire cd collection - but that is another story!) except from my choice of DAC.

I know there are a couple of mid/high range DACs on the horizon if I read correct here, but I really like the thought of buying one of the Benchmark DAC1 pre.

I know some of you have the DAC1 USB. . . should I wait?

Oh and Hi to all here. . . been a bit of a lurker for a few months but its time to say hi.

Hi Poacher - Thanks for laying out your system for everyone. It is always cool to see what everyone else is using and how they like it.

I have the DAC1 PRE and really like it. The additional analog inputs are really nice to have. Have you read this thread about the differences between the DAC1 USB and PRE? http://www.computeraudiophile.com/node/173

I do have a couple other DACs on the way for review so I'll be able to provide some info one them later.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Chris,

Yep. . . seeing people's systems gives an understanding on where they are coming from and is always interesting/enlightening I find.

I saw the DAC1 thread a while back and it was good to see Elias post - and also see the DAC thread on www.head-fi.org with the DAC guru's fighting it out!

Which DAC's have you on the way? Are they something to make me wait a few more weeks?

Hello Poacher!!

If you have any questions about the DAC1 PRE (or anything else for that matter), please don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks,

Elias

Elias Gwinn[br]Applications Engineer[br]Benchmark Media Systems[br]Please help us spread the word about our free web-series www.BenchmarkMedia.com/MastersFromTheirDay - a video series about recording music - w/ FREE 88/24 DOWNLOADS[br]

BTW - thanks for the offer of info. Actually, I am really torn between a handful of DAC's to try. I live in the far south of England rather than the USA so trying to find a local dealer to 'lend' me a DAC to try out is not that easy.

However, I do now have the opportunity to try out a PS Audio DLIII but think it would be really interesting to hear it head to head against a DAC1 pre. I'll try to find a company who offers a free trial and I might run a personal test and publish my ramblings here.

The feedback I feel I am getting one DAC to the other is PS audio have managed to find/create a more rounded and warmer sound against the more clear and accurate sound of Benchmark. Neither is wrong. . . I personally love my base and warmness that my valves give me and would not want to lose that - but equally I like accuracy. It is all down to balance - much like life eh? In terms of what each DAC box actually offers I do not need headphones (sod the noise, turn the speakers up!) or multiple inputs and am only interested in getting the best I can get out of digital files through to a fairly traditional front end and a limited budget.

I know you have great knowledge of your subject, and I know I will make mistakes along my digital path - but I love the fact that we are at the cusp of a major new era of high end audio via high quality/high res digital files rather than old school crackle full vinyl and tinny skippy cd's.