IGNORED

How do you store DFF ( untagged ) files?

rodrigaj

Not working for me.. Prolly operator error. Both dsd2diff and the context menu stuff in same folder. Executed context bat. Nothing when I right-click albums or tracks on NAS (shared mapped drives). Win 7.

The .bat script writes to registry, so you need admin privilegies. I forgot to point to that. Probably you need to right click the .bat file and select "Run as Administrator".

The .bat script has to create registry key and some entries below HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\dff_auto_file\shell\DFF2DSD like on the attached picture.

DFF2DSF_context_menu_registry.PNG

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

OK, so that did it for the privileges (right click works now) but Miska's executable does nothing in my system. I see a microsecond command line flash then nothing. No results. Even running the command line (With targeted DFF file in same folder) it results in a normal return to folder prompt (no error, just shows Jussi's info and a syntax example).

When you right click AddContextMenuItem.bat and select "Run as Administrator", the .bat script runs very short time (less than a second). If it run successfully, it should bring this visible result:

- New file dff2dsf.bat has to be created in the same folder. Was the file dff2dsf.bat created on your PC? What's its content?

- Now when you right click any DFF file (in any folder) of your PC, new context menu item (like on the picture) should appear. Did you observe such a new item? Only for DFF files.

DFF_context_menu.jpg

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

If you wish to run dff2dsf.exe directly from command line without my context menu interface, you should give it two command line parameters like on my example (I used DFF2DSF v1.0.1 for this example):

h:\DSDIFF\RAINBOW - RISING>dff2dsf.exe "03 - RAINBOW - STARSTRUCK.dff" "03 - RAINBOW - STARSTRUCK.dsf"

DFF2DSF v1.0.1

Copyright © 2014 Jussi Laako / Signalyst. All rights reserved.

h:\DSDIFF\RAINBOW - RISING>

The file "03 - RAINBOW - STARSTRUCK.dsf" was created in the same directory as "03 - RAINBOW - STARSTRUCK.dff".

When you right click AddContextMenuItem.bat and select "Run as Administrator", the .bat script runs very short time (less than a second). If it run successfully, it should bring this visible result:

- New file dff2dsf.bat has to be created in the same folder. Was the file dff2dsf.bat created on your PC? What's its content?

- Now when you right click any DFF file (in any folder) of your PC, new context menu item (like on the picture) should appear. Did you observe such a new item? Only for DFF files.

Yes to all the above.

Bat file is "E:\musictest\dff2dsf.exe" %1 "%~dpn1.dsf"

Still no dsf file creation.

The batch file dff2dsf.bat was created correctly, the content is as I expected.

For me it functions also this way: I can drag a DFF file and drop it on dff2dsf.bat. DSF file is successfully created. Maybe you need to refresh your Windows Explorer by pressing F5 to see the newly created file.

Alternatively, you can yet try to call dff2dsf.bat from command line, it requires only one parameter (the DFF file):

h:\DSDIFF\RAINBOW - RISING>dff2dsf.bat "03 - RAINBOW - STARSTRUCK.dff"

h:\DSDIFF\RAINBOW - RISING>"h:\DSDIFF\RAINBOW - RISING\dff2dsf.exe" "03 - RAINBOW - STARSTRUCK.dff" "h:\DSDIFF\RAINBOW - RISING\03 - RAINBOW - STARSTRUCK.dsf"

DFF2DSF v1.0.1

h:\DSDIFF\RAINBOW - RISING>

Please try to do the same. In your case go to command line window, change directory to E:\musictest, run

dff2dsf.bat <your_DFF_file>

and copy here your output from the command line window.

Yes, data originating from SACD can be decompressed by the extraction utility while writing DFF.

For Windows users, Mp3tag is good utility for tagging the resulting DSF files.

Agree Mp3tag is very good for tagging DSF, it's a recent innovation. Just as easy to tag DSF as a FLAC, although would refrain from embedding several MB of artwork, this is best left in the folder as a separate file.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Bogi, Yes, I am aware of DST files and stay away from them for this test. When I run the bat file in command line, and ALSO add quotes around the dff file name, the conversion is successful. When I try the same file by right clicking I get a flashed window and then nothing. ?

I put MP3tag in the last version of the ripping guide. We announced that DSD compatibility back in April, and folks have loved it. Thx

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/mp3tag-now-supports-direct-stream-digital-dsf-file-tagging-20185/

BTW, my successful command line test:

E:\musictest>dff2dsf.bat "Sonata4.dff"

E:\musictest>"E:\musictest\dff2dsf.exe" "Sonata4.dff" "E:\musictest\Sonata4.dsf"

DFF2DSF v1.0.1

E:\musictest>

My difficulty is that I use highly customized Windows OS at home as well as at work and I have set to run all in Administrator context. So I never need to do "Run as Administrator". I tested it now on a fresh (non-customized) Win7 installation and I discovered one issue in my script.

Ted, please do the following, it will help to verify the issue on your computer:

Open Command Prompt window, run

[color=#0000ff]reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\dff_auto_file\shell\DFFtoDSF\command[/color]

and check the output.

I assume it will be something like

(Default) REG_SZ "C:\Windows\system32\dff2dsf.bat" "%1"

which is wrong. If you got other output, please let me know.

Open the script AddContextMenuItem.bat in a text editor and substitute the line

set PWD=%CD:\=\\%

with two lines

set PWD=%~dp0

set PWD=%PWD:\=\\%

and save the file.

Right-click AddContextMenuItem.bat in Windows Explorer and choose 'Run as Administrator'.

Run again

[color=#0000ff]reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\dff_auto_file\shell\DFFtoDSF\command[/color]

If your output is

(Default) REG_SZ "E:\musictest\dff2dsf.bat" "%1"

then most probably your problem is fixed. Try the 'DFF to DSF' context menu, if it runs as expected.

Your reg query command returns a "error: invalid syntax".

So I did everything via regedit and voila, everything now works. Yes, I needed the edited context bat, thanks!! :)

The current solution can be used for multiple files, but it would run paralelly, so it is not suitable for more than few files.

I am thinking about renaming the current menu item to 'DFF to DSF - this file' and adding yet one item 'DFF to DSF - this directory'.

Invoking the 'directory' item on a single DFF file would start sequential conversion process for that directory (for example one music album). It could skip already existing DSF files, if any.

I attached the DFF to DSF context menu v1.0.1, changes are:

- AddContextMenuItem.bat, RemoveContextMenuItem.bat: If permissions are insufficient, user is asked to start the script using 'Run as administrator'

- AddContextMenuItem.bat: Corrected detection of installation directory if 'Run as administrator' was used to start the script

- readme.txt: AddContextMenuItem.bat and RemoveContextMenuItem.bat have to be started using 'Run as administrator'

Let me know if it works for you.

DFF2DSF_context_menu_Win7_Win8_v1.0.1.zip

Here described how connect Miska's dff2dsf utility (as input decoder) to AuI ConverteR 48x44 under Mac OS X and Windows.

Now AuI ConverteR read intermediate DSF (converted by dff2dsf from input DFF) without conversion to PCM.

Need download last AuI's update 3.8.8 or later.

Conversion DFF to DSF. 3 ways for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Miska, it's nothing urgent, but if you would yet modify the DFF2DSF tool, could you add some easy check for DST format and normal exit for that case? Now the tool crashes in the case of DFF containing compressed DST data (at least on Win8.1), it opens a system dialog.