IGNORED

How do you store DFF ( untagged ) files?

rodrigaj

OpusOne, foobar2000 is able to tag DSF files. I never had issues with it.

Another option for Windows is free MP3TAG. It is very easy to use.

Thanks for the tips. I totally forgot about MP3TAG. It worked beautifully.

Foobar2000 still would not let me edit genre and composer for some reasons

on those dsf files.

- Late 2013 Macbook Pro 15" with retina display running OSX Mavericks, SSD, 16GB, Audirvana+, Alex Paychev tubed DAC (based on AKM 32bit DACs), iFi iDSD Micro, M2Tech HiFace EVO, Wireworld Starlight USB, Supratek Syrak Pre-amp, Primaluna Dialogue 7 monoblocks for winter and McIntosh 501's in the summer), NBS Monitor IC, Harmonic Technology Magic IC, Omega Mikro Planar speaker cable, Sonus Faber Amati Homage speakers, Sennheiser HD600, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Shunyata Python CX power cords, CDs ripped with DbPoweramp into AIFFs, SACDs ripped with PS3

Hi bogi,

For extracting DSF files from ISO I use Sonore ISO2DSD. Have you compared this application with yours? What are the benefits using your application?

Thanks, Alex

The reason (only reason) Bogi created this workflow is because going from ISO directly to DSF (like Jesus's ISO2DSD) can cause clicks and anomalies due to Mr Wicked's DSF conversion bug (end of file data block truncation). By first going to DFF (as an interim step) the workflow detours around that bug, and then uses Miska's minimalist DFF to DSF conversion tool to finish. However, going to DFF removes any possibility of tags, so Bogi's workflow nicely creates temporary cue files (from the ISO table of contents) to store the tags, then uses it to populate the DSF files (last part of the workflow) once they are done. The cue file is then deleted (user option to keep it). Ingenious IMO.

However, if your dac setup does not playback those clicks (some reported dac/player combinations can actually mute the system enough to miss the click), use Jesus's ISO2DSD and don't look back. :)

Hi ted_b,

Thank you for clarification and alert.

Interesting to note that I do not recall my system (PC + Asus Xonar Essence STX + Rotel RA-1570) producing any clicks when processing DSF files.

Now I plan to add a good DAC to my system (PC + Artt ADEA-1 / Yulong DA8 + Rotel RA-1570) and hope to avoid the issue.

Alex

Interesting thread. Ted and I discussed it once, and it's nice to get it reiterated to me. I love metadata from ISO's. But, Bogi's solution seems still difficult to use for the uninitiated.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Interesting thread. Ted and I discussed it once, and it's nice to get it reiterated to me. I love metadata from ISO's. But, Bogi's solution seems still difficult to use for the uninitiated.

Hmm...once set up (via pdf instructions) it is a simple right click on ISO name in Windows Explorer...period.

ISO2DSF right click.jpg

OpusOne, you may wish to try entering/updating tags using File Properties in Windows Explorer. I can enter genre and other tags there without any problem. Foobar reads them well.

Thanks for the tips. I totally forgot about MP3TAG. It worked beautifully.

Foobar2000 still would not let me edit genre and composer for some reasons

on those dsf files.

Hmm...once set up (via pdf instructions) it is a simple right click on ISO name in Windows Explorer...period.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20016[/ATTACH]

Ted,

Is there a batch script that would perform iso2dsf on every iso files in the same directory (or input from a list) that I could use?

I am so bad at scripting, and I am lazy LOL. Would be nice if the script can detect if the iso contains DST compression and issue the

right SACD extraction command. Any help is appreciated. I have a few hundred ISO's that I need to reprocess now.

- Late 2013 Macbook Pro 15" with retina display running OSX Mavericks, SSD, 16GB, Audirvana+, Alex Paychev tubed DAC (based on AKM 32bit DACs), iFi iDSD Micro, M2Tech HiFace EVO, Wireworld Starlight USB, Supratek Syrak Pre-amp, Primaluna Dialogue 7 monoblocks for winter and McIntosh 501's in the summer), NBS Monitor IC, Harmonic Technology Magic IC, Omega Mikro Planar speaker cable, Sonus Faber Amati Homage speakers, Sennheiser HD600, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Shunyata Python CX power cords, CDs ripped with DbPoweramp into AIFFs, SACDs ripped with PS3

OpusOne, creating a batch is simple, no programming needed... for example in 3 steps:

1) Install ISO2DSF using my PDF manual

2) Open Command Prompt window, change to your music library base folder (G:\AUDIO in my example) and store list of all ISOs in a file

cd /d G:\AUDIO

dir /s /b *.ISO > batch.bat

Now all lines in generated file batch.bat will begin with G:\AUDIO, for example:

G:\AUDIO\Interpret1\Album1\Album1.ISO

G:\AUDIO\Interpret2\Album2\Album2.ISO

3) Use any text editor to substitute all occurences of

G:\AUDIO

with

iso2dsf.exe "G:\AUDIO

You will get lines like

iso2dsf.exe "G:\AUDIO\Interpret1\Album1\Album1.ISO

iso2dsf.exe "G:\AUDIO\Interpret2\Album2\Album2.ISO

Now substitute all .ISO with .ISO"

You will get lines like

iso2dsf.exe "G:\AUDIO\Interpret1\Album1\Album1.ISO"

iso2dsf.exe "G:\AUDIO\Interpret2\Album2\Album2.ISO"

Your batch.bat is ready at this point, just to run it ... But it could run days for hundreds of ISOs, so I would rather copy&paste smaller number of lines from the batch file to Command Prompt window. You can test the first line and when it runs fine, you can try to start for example batch of 30 ISOs during night ...

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Bogi, does this last example (30 ISOs) open up, then, 30 command windows? Would the bat file open up hundreds of windows or is this serially/sequentially processed?

Me, I simply highlight x number of ISOs and right click. I tend to not do more than 10 at a time.

Ted, if you have 30 command lines from a batch file in clipboard and paste them to Command Prompt window, they will be processed sequentially.

Other possibility than clipboard is to move that 30 lines to a new .bat file and run it ... then they will be also processed sequentially.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
Ted, if you have 30 command lines from a batch file in clipboard and paste them to Command Prompt window, they will be processed sequentially.

Other possibility than clipboard is to move that 30 lines to a new .bat file and run it ... then they will be also processed sequentially.

Bogi,

Thanks for being an excellent help as usual. I can't remember now if this flow can handle DST compressed iso. Will iso2dsf get stuck or just ignore and skip it?

Bogi,

Thanks for being an excellent help as usual. I can't remember now if this flow can handle DST compressed iso. Will iso2dsf get stuck or just ignore and skip it?

SACD_extract.exe has an ISO argument to decompress DST (-c), and is usually a default. I think it is here, too.

Ok, that is easy lol. Apparently though, in my enthusiasm, my sub conscious must've blocked that this is only a PC solution. Sorry for the digression..though, any plans to make an OS version Bogi?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Ok, that is easy lol. Apparently though, in my enthusiasm, my sub conscious must've blocked that this is only a PC solution. Sorry for the digression..though, any plans to make an OS version Bogi?

No, I didn't test it.

If that's true, then I could make ISO2DSF faster by direct ISO to DSF conversion. I still like the easy usage of right click (or simple pressing <Enter> on ISO file, it does the same job).

No, I didn't test it.

If that's true, then I could make ISO2DSF faster by direct ISO to DSF conversion. I still like the easy usage of right click (or simple pressing <Enter> on ISO file, it does the same job).

Agreed. I do too.

• 1 year later...

Bogi,

great tool. Thank you very much.

Are there any switches in the ISO2DSF configuration to preserve a single quote in the song file name. I have to go and back re-edit my files names or regenerate them again against the metadata.

For example the song "I've been waiting for You" gets generated as "I Ve Been Waiting For You.dsf"

I have to go and back re-edit my files names or regenerate them again against the metadata.

Why are you doing so? Filename is only filename, it's for your brief information. The place which should contain exact original information about the track is metadata. That's the point which I attempted to solve correctly. See for example this picture - title names are correctly displayed in MP3TAG, but file names are intentionally simplified. Why intentionally? Because not all characters in title names are allowed in filenames. Restrictions depend on particular filesystem. Many programs don't count and misbehave with special characters in pathnames even if those are allowed in particular filesystem. So, I am intentionally creating filenames using restricted character set not to cause subsequent troubles.

Use your music player to look at your music library metadata and to search through it. It should show you metadata correctly.

Yes, filenames are somewhat irrelevant except to catalog correctly (although folder names are more important, in my case, for cataloging). If you are talking about Bowie's Heathen song, my song title tag is correct.

Why are you doing so? Filename is only filename, it's for your brief information. The place which should contain exact original information about the track is metadata. That's the point which I attempted to solve correctly. See for example this picture - title names are correctly displayed in MP3TAG, but file names are intentionally simplified. Why intentionally? Because not all characters in title names are allowed in filenames, for example language specific characters coming from not so usual character sets. Some characters from the basic ASCII table are also not allowed. Restrictions depend on particular filesystem. Many programs don't count and misbehave with special characters in pathnames even if those are allowed in particular filesystem. So, I am intentionally creating filenames using restricted character set not to cause subsequent troubles.

Use your music player to look at your music library metadata and to search through it. It should show you metadata correctly.

I completely understand the logic and reasoning to strip out reserved or offending characters from the file name. I'm currently playing my dsf through the USB port on my AVR. The AVR displays the file system contents first when I am surfing for music. The metadata comes into play only when you're playing the track. Not a big issue and it will probably go away completely when I get my dedicated DAC and start using a real player.

Yes, filenames are somewhat irrelevant except to catalog correctly (although folder names are more important, in my case, for cataloging). If you are talking about Bowie's Heathen song, my song title tag is correct.

Yeah, the tags and metadata is fine. When I transition to a proper music player it will be moot.