IGNORED

How do you store DFF ( untagged ) files?

rodrigaj

• 2 weeks later...

I used ISO2DSF_v1.1.0_Win7_Win8 . All appeared to go well, took about 3 to 4 minutes for a 1.2 gig iso but no .dff or .dsf file in the output folder or anywhere on my computer. Just the cue and text files. See pics. The dff to dsf conversion at the end happened in about 5 seconds.

Please advise.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Re the various ideas of install instructions this is the way I put it in a reminder to myself in the installation folder:

copy all from ISO2DSF_v1.1.0_Win7_Win8 into here

copy sacd_extract.exe from sacd_extract_0.3.7_WIN32 into here

copy dff2dsf.exe from dff2dsf-120\win32 into here

To create 'SACD ISO to DSF per track' Windows Explorer context menu item for ISO file type,

run AddContextMenuItem.bat.

Important: Do not move location of the installed files and do not delete them, if you wish to use the

context menu or shortcut. Use the uninstallation procedure described below, if you wish to move or

delete the installed files.

The small thing is that I had to write "Press <Return> to close", or change the implementation. :)

I'm not sure with your finding, that the cause was DFF2DSF. Your 1st "black" picture shows, that sacd_extract was started, but exited unexpectedly during processing of 1st track. Till that time point DFF2DSF was not yet invoked. It is started when all tracks are extracted by sacd_extract.

I observer that behaviour when I tested sacd_extract alone. It's some bug in sacd_extract, when the last optional parameter for output directory is used. I added the $albumtitle_length parameter to the iso2dsf.cfg file after I noticed this behaviour. Shortening the output directory helped in the cases I tested..

Previouslly you most probably extracted other ISO files, not that one which now caused your troubles. The issue with sacd_extract <outdir> parameter si not systematic. It occurs only with ISO's where artist or album names are very long strings.

But when I re did it with the previous version of DFF2DSF it worked, maybe because zone alarm asked permission 1st time.

Some interesting observations:

Sadly the clicks are not gone.

DSF made with ISO2DSF_v1.1.0_Win7_Win8

Dff are auto deleted so I re-made them with iso2dsd_PC_v6 from Sonore

No clicks at end of DFF's but sadly clicks at end of all DSF's

File sizes of 1 to 6 DSF's are slightly bigger than the DFF's

File sizes of 7 to 8 appear the same in explore but in properties the reverse is true ie DFF's are slightly bigger than DSF's

Foobar shows tag info for all DFF's, how? DFF's are not writeable.

Foobar shows no tag info for the DSF's.

Foobar shows slight time differences for same tracks.

Please see pics attached.

2.JPG

1.JPG

3.JPG

Problem is definitely not with ripping iso. I now play iso's only with zero ticks. Ticks are zero in the dff's created in sonare but the dsf's made originally with sonare and now also with iso2dsf contain ticks at end of each track.

Cue sheets and txt attached but not connected to ticks, dff's created with sonare with cue sheet ticked are the ones in Foobar with tags showing. The dsf's have no tags but anyway easily created with the cue sheets or txt.

Remove the .txt from the 2 cue files as .cue was not allowed to attach.

Anna Moffo.txt

Anna Moffo created in sonare.cue.txt

Anna Moffo.cue.txt

One possibility is that the player you use doesn't handle DSFs correctly... It must take into account that the last block is almost never full.

I have Foobar and exaSound e20 DAC. I often wonder if it is Foobar or dac but tick with the faulty Sonore conversion and now with dff2dsf conversion so I cannot tell but think it more likely the conversion. Would be helpful if others with different setup could test. (Playing quiet classical tracks at high volume, close to o db output from dac)

No tick at the end of the final track (8 In this case) even if moved in the playlist to have another track after it suggesting the tick is in the file. Moving tracks with ticks to be last in the playlist does not remove the tick.

Also the volume of the ticks is slightly different for every track.

paul3000h, the issue with CUE sheet si now clear. I have it already corrected, but the vrsion 1.1 doesn't contain yet the correction.

Please test the CUE sheet issue with ISO2DSF v1.1.1: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B1IZPbDClIn6TEQyaFZuUkM1Uzg

Cue sheet and txt appear identical using v1.1.1 and identical appearance in Foobar ie no tags just the Titles (read from the file names) as before.

Thanks. The CUE file is as I expected. No cfg file change.

Please try to drag&drop the CUE sheet into Foobar playlist. In this way it works for me.

I have question about your DFF tracks. How were they exactly created in Sonore ISO2DSD?

Did you choose DSDIFF Edit Master, or Philips DSDIFF? Is that one DFF file, or DFF files per track?

If I drag/drop .cue into foobar the tracks appear as cue extension ie I am playing from the cuesheet, see pic.

DFF tracks created in Sonore as Philips DSDIFF. 1 DFF files per 1 track.

3.JPG

So the same tracks in DFF don't tick? Do you have DSF tracks that don't tick in your system and where did those originate from?

When there is no tick with DFF, I don't get tick with DSF either in my system. And there shouldn't be, because both contain exactly same data and same number of samples. I today again checked with dff2dsf v1.2.1.

No DFF tracks tick. I only have DFS tracks I made with Sonore or ISO to DSF. A very occasional DFS does not tick. In pic track 8 DFS does not tick. See my post #152 above.

3.JPG

I have found some DFF's from 2L The Nordic Sound that also tick so I think it can be assumed that it could well be a Foobar or DAC issue until further corroboration from other Foobar users. Though in the recent Moffo conversions none of the DFF's click and all the DSF's click except track 8.

Please remember I am Playing quiet classical tracks at high volume, (close to o db output from dac) directly into a 300W Per Channel Bryston amp.

Also, for anyone else with similar problems I am now playing all SACD's direct from the iso's with perfect results, ie silence between tracks, having meticulously tagged them all with Foobar so in future could very easily and fairly quickly copy the Foobar .xml tags to DSF's (in Foobar as the tags are Foobars own solution).

Foobar handles transitions between tracks with WAV and Flac the same way as with ISO's ie completely silently.

The need for complete lack of ticks between tracks for me is really only for playing opera when tracks can change very rapidly and mid lyric and so ticks are out of the question.

so I'm not sure now, if we use the same sacd_extract (it's part of Sonore ISO2DSD).

Could you pelase post here the CUE sheet, generated by Sonore ISO2DSD? It could help me to find the difference.

If you did tagging the DFF files in Foobar manually or using online services like freedb, that could be explanation for the difference. Foobar is able to tag DFF files, although no standard exists for that. To verify, if your DFF files are tagged, try to drag a DFF file from Windows Explorer and drop it to a playlist. If metadata will show in the corresponding columns, then your DFF file is tagged.

I also use sacd_extract (it's part of Sonore ISO2DSD).

See my post #148 for the cue created in Sonore.

When Sonore created the dff's it must have written the tags as the foobar pic in my post #159 shows the tags written in the dff's and I never wrote them.

I think he refers to the option to store tags in a linked file for SACD-ISOs (as the ISOs themselfes couldn't be tagged, obviously):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14988[/ATTACH]

Yes correct.

I drag the isos's into foobar then they appear with every individual track listed separately.

I then write the tags (in properties same as for all files, wav, flac, dsf etc) Foobar then writes a xml file into the same folder as the iso is in. See example attached. Remove .txt as xml files barred.

Rome Opera Orchestra, Serafin, Anna Moffo - Arias.xml.txt

Bogi,

........ Maybe Paul's comments about clicks in DFF was because maybe he didn't use the -c argument (i.e didn't check the box in Jesus's GUI).

I do check the box so no tick in my Moffo DFF's.

The ticks I found in DFF's were DFF's I downloaded from 2L The Nordic Sound.

paul3000h, I found new version of Foobar2000 Super Audio CD Decoder | SourceForge.net, here is changelog for 2014:

09/29/14:

Version 0.7.3 - DSDIFF odd chunk length bug fixed, Windows XP compatibility.

If you didn't update it last month in your Foobar2000 instalation, could you please test, if it addresses the DFF issue you discovered?

I did not find any difference, clicks same as before.