IGNORED

U2 and Apple - Another Surprise in Store?

In the wake of all the noise from the recent U2 Songs of Innocence iTunes release, there are several articles stating that the band and Apple have another project in works. Apparently something in the works that is supposed to "change the way we all listen to music and view it". I'm definitely intrigued by the possibilities.

From a recent article in Time Magazine:

Bono tells TIME he hopes that a new digital music format in the works will prove so irresistibly exciting to music fans that it will tempt them again into buying music -- whole albums as well as individual tracks. The point isn’t just to help U2 but less well known artists and others in the industry who can’t make money, as U2 does, from live performance

From a recent Billboard article:

"We're working on other things as well with Apple that have to do with how music is heard and innovation, with [iTunes VP of content] Robert Kondrk leading that charge. There's a lot of things still to come that are really interesting. The band really wants people to engage with albums, they want them to support the art form of artwork and lyrics and video content and just get into their music in a much different way than an MP3 file. This is a long relationship."

I know there were several comments last week about "no hi-rez announcement" from Apple during the iPhone 6 launch. I too, like many, were hoping for something positive on the fidelity front.

Crossing my fingers that whatever the boys in U2 and Apple are up to...they consider the fidelity of the music alongside artwork, lyrics and video content. If we truly want folks to reconnect...we have to address the decline of audio quality in the mainstream music business.

We'll see :-)

Take care all,

Clay