IGNORED

jriver id

Cytomark

I am intrigued by this device. I like that it can boot up quickly. But it is so limited in storage. Has anyone bought one? What do you think? Has anyone tried to expand the storage?

You might be interested in the thread here -- http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/jriver-id-media-player-21275/

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The Id has enough storage for about 300 CD's worth of FLAC files. We may offer a larger disc as an option in the future. It's currently 120GB, with about 100GB open after the OS and MC.

It doesn't require any storage as a playback device. You can play to it from another PC or Mac on the network.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

100 GB is tiny. My iPods hold more. My music collection is over 200 GB and growing. I would not consider buying anything that could not support at least 500 GB. The capability of adding an external drive would suffice. I am surprised that JRiver started with such a small drive. Larger drives for these are available. Using a PC or MAC defeats the purpose of this in my opinion. I would have to wait for it to boot up. Why not just use the PC directly?

Seems like good idea poorly executed. What am I missing?

What am I missing?

That it is primarily a DLNA Renderer. It provides a way to play files across the network to a USB DAC or HDMI receiver, and deliver them in their original form.

It's a way to connect your server to your audio device across the network.

We may also offer it with no storage. It would still be a great solution.

The fact that it can also serve as a DLNA Server or as a standalone player is a secondary benefit, and as you point out, it has limited value unless the drive is big enough. But 1 TB SSD's are now under $500.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com